Menu

For CommonApp purposes, what is a Homeschool Association?

JanetC

So, I've had memberships in local parent support groups for homeschoolers, a co-op, the statewide advocacy organization, online boards like this one, email lists, etc.

There is a spot for ONE homeschool association on the CommonApp -- does this really mean "umbrella school?" Or, some sort of organization that supervises your transcript or curriculum choices? We have not done one of those.

--Janet

We have not used umbrella schools etc either. I simply listed our local homeschool group to which we belong (which is purely social and oversees no academics, but they won't know that). In fact, the admissions office won't know what to do with this info anyway.

My rationale for putting it was that it makes our homeschool look more "connected" and alleviates the stereotype of kids chained to desks in mom's basement.

The term "homeschool association" in the context of college applications mystifies me as well.  I think it means a cover or umbrella school.  It's not just the Common App that refers to it--I've seen it many times on colleges' websites that generally say something like this (this is from UMass Amherst, but I've seen it lots of places):  

Home-schooled students who are admitted are required to provide the university with proof of graduation in one of the three following ways:

• An official final transcript from the local school district.
  • An official final transcript from a home school association or agency.
  • An official GED/HiSET score report.

What I don't understand is if it is a cover school, why is the student applying as a homeschooler?

The term "homeschool association" in the context of college applications mystifies me as well.  I think it means a cover or umbrella school.  It's not just the Common App that refers to it--I've seen it many times on colleges' websites that generally say something like this (this is from UMass Amherst, but I've seen it lots of places):  

Home-schooled students who are admitted are required to provide the university with proof of graduation in one of the three following ways:

• An official final transcript from the local school district.
  • An official final transcript from a home school association or agency.
  • An official GED/HiSET score report.

What I don't understand is if it is a cover school, why is the student applying as a homeschooler?

Somebody really needs to whack UMass Amherst over the head with a stick.  There is no such thing as a homeschool association or agency in MA that issues transcripts, nor does the local school district - NO SUCH THING.  It is not anywhere mentioned or allowed under MA case law.  WHY does our flagship university seem to think we should have these, when they DO NOT EXIST.  They might as well insist that we send along a unicorn! 

• Like 2

Somebody really needs to whack UMass Amherst over the head with a stick.  There is no such thing as a homeschool association or agency in MA that issues transcripts, nor does the local school district - NO SUCH THING.  It is not anywhere mentioned or allowed under MA case law.  WHY does our flagship university seem to think we should have these, when they DO NOT EXIST.  They might as well insist that we send along a unicorn! 

But do they exist anywhere?  I've seen them referred to at lots of schools.  When I google "homeschool association" I get a bunch of homeschool associations that are education/advocacy groups, like the Washington Homeschool Organization.  

But do they exist anywhere?  I've seen them referred to at lots of schools.  When I google "homeschool association" I get a bunch of homeschool associations that are education/advocacy groups, like the Washington Homeschool Organization.  

Do PA and NY have these unicorns, perhaps?  I thought I'd heard in some of those states you could get a state diploma if you jumped through the right hoops?

And a lot of the south has umbrella schools you're supposed to use...  I've wondered if these things might be what they're referring to?

But where did a MA state school come up with this crazy idea?  There are no hoops that even exist to jump through...

• Like 1

In PA the law refers to "approved diploma-granting organizations", which are diploma programs for homeschoolers.

There are eight-ish of these programs, some of which are associated with private schools and others of which are run by homeschoolers.  One of them is called "Erie County Home Schoolers Diploma Association", another is called "Mason Dixon Homeschoolers Association", but the others don't use "Association" in their name.

As of last year, though, in PA, homeschoolers can issue a state-recognized diploma to their own kids; it must be signed by the evaluator (who is usually a homeschooling mom who happens to have a teaching credential).  For this diploma:

• The student receiving the diploma must have completed all of the graduation requirements in the home education law, while enrolled in a home education program that is in compliance with the home education law.
  • The diploma must be on a standardized form developed by the PA Department of Education, which is (or should be) available on their website.
  • The diploma must be signed by the student's twelfth grade evaluator in confirmation of the student's suitability for graduation.

I am sorely tempted to send letters to deans of admission and deans of students of school that have these sort of requirements, listing my kids' scores, high school achievements and college acceptances; along with the observation that they didn't apply to their school because the requirements for homeschoolers were either poorly informed or were insulting.

I don't mind that a school wants to see documentation like an understandable transcript and course descriptions.  I have even come to accept that more select schools may ask for Subject tests or that an otherwise "optional" interview isn't optional for a homeschooler.  But I don't think I'll ever come to cheerfully accept schools that just make stuff up or that want homeschoolers to sit for the GED.  My kid didn't drop out of school.  He's not equivalent to a graduate; he will be a graduate.

• Like 6

So, I've had memberships in local parent support groups for homeschoolers, a co-op, the statewide advocacy organization, online boards like this one, email lists, etc.

There is a spot for ONE homeschool association on the CommonApp -- does this really mean "umbrella school?" Or, some sort of organization that supervises your transcript or curriculum choices? We have not done one of those.

--Janet

Janet, where is this spot for a homeschool association? I think we have completed the entire Common App. and I didn't see anything like that.

Janet, where is this spot for a homeschool association? I think we have completed the entire Common App. and I didn't see anything like that.

Under the school report in the counselor recommendation. Home school subsection, last question.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...