Menu

Computer science "trade journals"

Dh would like ds (rising 11th) to start reading "trade journals" for the majors he might be interested in.  Dh is stressing that the point of college is to get a job....one that pays....especially one that pays the college debt!  :)

He likes programming (would that be called computer science engineering?), but I have no idea where to find trade journals related to that.  Any ideas?  He is also into electrical engineering, chemical engineering and aerospace engineering.  How do I find out which trade journals are out there?  I am not even sure how to go about finding out what kind of jobs he can get with those types of majors. 

Can anyone point me in a direction to find (1) trade journals and/or (2) related jobs in these fields?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 1

He likes programming (would that be called computer science engineering?), but I have no idea where to find trade journals related to that.  Any ideas?  He is also into electrical engineering, chemical engineering and aerospace engineering.  How do I find out which trade journals are out there? 

The library has trade journals.  If it is a university library, there would be even more shelves of trade journals.  Besides trade journals, you can also look for conference papers/proceedings.

For electrical engineering, computer programming and computer engineering, browse the IEEE link and see if your library has any.  It can be dry reading depending on his interest.

http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/periodicals/index.html

For aerospace engineering, I went to trade shows for aircraft manufacturers as an IT support engineer.  Have you look into military scholarships for aerospace engineering?

​

For chemical engineering my friends are working for the oil companies like Shell, Chevron. 

Does any of the colleges near to you have engineering outreach programs for high school students? A decent private university near to me have one which I wasn't aware of until I start looking at the possibility of my kids auditing classes there in the future.

• Like 1

The library has trade journals.  If it is a university library, there would be even more shelves of trade journals.  Besides trade journals, you can also look for conference papers/proceedings.

For electrical engineering, computer programming and computer engineering, browse the IEEE link and see if your library has any.  It can be dry reading depending on his interest.

http://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/periodicals/index.html

For aerospace engineering, I went to trade shows for aircraft manufacturers as an IT support engineer.  Have you look into military scholarships for aerospace engineering?

​

For chemical engineering my friends are working for the oil companies like Shell, Chevron. 

Does any of the colleges near to you have engineering outreach programs for high school students? A decent private university near to me have one which I wasn't aware of until I start looking at the possibility of my kids auditing classes there in the future.

Thank you!  I didn't even think of the library!  Duh!  We are there every week! 

I will look into the outreach programs at the local colleges.  Thanks!  I never heard about this before.  I appreciate your help!

Hot Lava Mama

Dh would like ds (rising 11th) to start reading "trade journals" for the majors he might be interested in.  Dh is stressing that the point of college is to get a job....one that pays....especially one that pays the college debt!  :)

He likes programming (would that be called computer science engineering?), but I have no idea where to find trade journals related to that.  Any ideas?  He is also into electrical engineering, chemical engineering and aerospace engineering.  How do I find out which trade journals are out there?  I am not even sure how to go about finding out what kind of jobs he can get with those types of majors. 

Can anyone point me in a direction to find (1) trade journals and/or (2) related jobs in these fields?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

I am a software engineer (and a computer scientist).

First - I'll recomend it as a really great career choice!  :lol: The job market is fantastic, in an extremely broad set of industries and locations, and it can be as 'deep' or 'shallow' a field as you like.  A background and early job experience in software engineering leads to essentially all of the carreers in the 'tech industry' (individual contributor engineer, managment, marketing, sales, etc.)

I'm not sure what your Dh means by 'trade journals'.  'Wired' or 'IEEE Spectrum' are interesting if you have an interest in technology, but aren't really going to tell you much about what it's like to work in that industry, who the business players are, etc.  CS is a scientific discipline, so there are publications that keep up w/ the state-of-the art, just like in other sciences (http://www.jair.org/, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?reload=true&punumber=69, etc). If he's REALLY motivated, that's where the bleeding edge of each sub-field is, but I think it's likely they'll be way over his head and may scare him off.

If you can say what Dh wants him to get our of the journals I might be able to point you to something.  Also, feel free to PM me if you like.

-andy

A lot of "trade" information in computer science is passed via on websites, not journals.

Some you might visit, depending on your area of interest

Ars Technica (wide range of topics of interest to the tech community)

Anandtech (hardware emphasis)

News.ycombinator.com Hacker News. start ups and Silicon Valley message board, quality varies

Stack Overflow Programming help board.

ZDNet/ Mary Jo Foley: Microsoft columnist

Daring fireball/ Josh Gruber: Apple columnist

• Like 1

I am a software engineer (and a computer scientist).

First - I'll recomend it as a really great career choice!  :lol: The job market is fantastic, in an extremely broad set of industries and locations, and it can be as 'deep' or 'shallow' a field as you like.  A background and early job experience in software engineering leads to essentially all of the carreers in the 'tech industry' (individual contributor engineer, managment, marketing, sales, etc.)

I'm not sure what your Dh means by 'trade journals'.  'Wired' or 'IEEE Spectrum' are interesting if you have an interest in technology, but aren't really going to tell you much about what it's like to work in that industry, who the business players are, etc.  CS is a scientific discipline, so there are publications that keep up w/ the state-of-the art, just like in other sciences (http://www.jair.org/, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?reload=true&punumber=69, etc). If he's REALLY motivated, that's where the bleeding edge of each sub-field is, but I think it's likely they'll be way over his head and may scare him off.

If you can say what Dh wants him to get our of the journals I might be able to point you to something.  Also, feel free to PM me if you like.

-andy

Thanks for the ideas!  I will look into those. :)

Hot Lava Mama

A lot of "trade" information in computer science is passed via on websites, not journals.

Some you might visit, depending on your area of interest

Ars Technica (wide range of topics of interest to the tech community)

Anandtech (hardware emphasis)

News.ycombinator.com Hacker News. start ups and Silicon Valley message board, quality varies

Stack Overflow Programming help board.

ZDNet/ Mary Jo Foley: Microsoft columnist

Daring fireball/ Josh Gruber: Apple columnist

Thanks!  I will check these out!  I guess the term "trade journal" is the "old school" in us!  :)  I think your ideas are spot on with what we are looking for.

Hot Lava Mama

If your DS wants to know what is going on at the bleeding edge of Computer Science, then I recommend that he watch Stanford's weekly (during the school year) EE380 lectures.  They are free and open to the public and archived on YouTube (currently back to 2008).  These lectures are given and attended by many of the people who are creating and funding the future of computer technology in Silicon Valley.

• Like 1

If your DS wants to know what is going on at the bleeding edge of Computer Science, then I recommend that he watch Stanford's weekly (during the school year) EE380 lectures.  They are free and open to the public and archived on YouTube (currently back to 2008).  These lectures are given and attended by many of the people who are creating and funding the future of computer technology in Silicon Valley.

Very cool!  He will dig this!  He just went on a tour of Stanford with Dh last week!

:)

Hot Lava Mama

You might also want to check out Communications of the ACM (http://cacm.acm.org/) in addition to IEEE Spectrum.  I so firmly disagree with your DH's position regarding college though, that I wonder if it would not just be better to direct you to this article instead, 

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/08/30/why-the-tech-world-highly-values-a-liberal-arts-degree/)

You might also want to check out Communications of the ACM (http://cacm.acm.org/) in addition to IEEE Spectrum.  I so firmly disagree with your DH's position regarding college though, that I wonder if it would not just be better to direct you to this article instead, 

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/08/30/why-the-tech-world-highly-values-a-liberal-arts-degree/)

Thanks for the link.  The funny thing is that Ds is in debate this year and one of the resolutions is to compare a liberal arts degree to a "practical skills" degree.  Ds is still working on convincing Dh.  (I agree with the liberal arts track, btw!)

I was a Member of IEEE for many years. In addition to their primary magazine, SPECTRUM, they have other publications directed to those with special interests. When I worked on government projects, I subscribed to AVIATION WEEK magazine for a number of years.   Computerworld was something I read, many years ago.  Each discipline (Chemical Engineering, etc.) has it's own publications of general interest and also publications directed to special interests.

• Like 1

I was a Member of IEEE for many years. In addition to their primary magazine, SPECTRUM, they have other publications directed to those with special interests. When I worked on government projects, I subscribed to AVIATION WEEK magazine for a number of years.   Computerworld was something I read, many years ago.  Each discipline (Chemical Engineering, etc.) has it's own publications of general interest and also publications directed to special interests.

Thank you!  I will add that to his reading list. So many great ideas from everyone.  I really appreciate it.

:)

Hot Lava Mama