Menu

Anyone combine an 8th grader and 9th grader or combine high schoolers?

When I read signatures, blogs, etc. it looks like most kids have more of an independent path in late middle school/high school.  Does anyone combine kids in high school?  Or combine say an 8th grader with a 9th grader?  Obviously, they wouldn't be on the same level with math...  

I have two kids who are 13 months apart and they are on the same level for everything, except math.  This year, the oldest wanted to work on two high school level textbooks and the younger one decided that he's going to work through them, too (which was not the original plan).  I decided to humor him and he's surprisingly holding his own with both classes.  He is extremely competitive and it's actually forcing the oldest to try harder.  Plus, during lab time together, she was actually laughing, because he was cracking jokes (she's more of a moody philosopher type, so it was funny to see her laughing so much).  They even did a page of graphing together (after which I looked out the window to see if pigs were flying around outside).

I'm thinking about combining them completely for 8th-high school.  They have the exact same interests and would probably choose the same subjects anyway.  In fact, my guess is they will end up with the same or similar undergrad majors.

If anyone here combines older kids, I'd be happy to hear about your experiences with it!  

We combined a lot of things.  My two oldest did almost everything together starting in middle school (they were a year apart), including math.  About the only thing they did separately was science.  They somehow got on a different science path once in high school.  That was my plan with a younger set of two as well, who were also only a year apart.  They started out doing almost everything together at an even earlier age, with the exception of math.  However, as they got older, it was clear that they were at very different places, so by 7th grade or so they were mostly doing their own thing.

I loved it when we could combine subjects for kids!  It made for more interesting discussions, and I think the kids enjoyed it too.

:bigear:   Mine are back to back grades.  We separated some things a few years ago, but the oldest wanted to do it together.  Had another year together, but he whines so much I split everything again this year.  But looking at high school I think it could be beneficial to put together for a few subjects.  I have to decide this year so I can plan for spring purchases lol.  

Listening to what others think....

• Like 1

:bigear:   Mine are back to back grades.  We separated some things a few years ago, but the oldest wanted to do it together.  Had another year together, but he whines so much I split everything again this year. 

This was us, too.  I split them up 2-3 years ago, because the younger one was really difficult to teach (short attention span, wasn't interested in anything).  Well, he changed so much this year!  I'm shocked.

Thanks for any comments, Everybody!!

:lurk5:

I've combined quite a bit when we could. My oldest dd and 2nd ds were only 18 months apart so they did quite a few subjects together. Dd was ahead in math, but they both did geometry together one year -- she after Alg. II and he after Alg. I. It worked great! They did Latin and logic together when they were younger, AP English, biology and chemistry together in high school. Ds usually just worked ahead.

Combining didn't just save me time. My kids enjoyed the fun of meeting together and doing work together. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking about combining them completely for 8th-high school.  They have the exact same interests and would probably choose the same subjects anyway.  In fact, my guess is they will end up with the same or similar undergrad majors.

I would totally do it if it works well. My plan was always to combine (we combined history and science throughout elementary), but I have kids 2 years apart, 1 boy, 1 girl, and the oldest (boy) did want to separate--first for science (7th) then for history (8th). We kept Bible and read-alouds together throughout. We did end up combining some subjects again later--history 2 years, science (biology) 1 year, Lit one year, Grammar 1 year, speech one year (co-op). Their interests are very different though, so that with the age spread did make working separately easier a lot of the time. 

I would totally do it if it works well. 

I'm pretty sold on the idea.  I was googling and trying to find blogs or articles about combining high schoolers, but didn't come across anything.  Although, it's hard to find stuff about homeschooling high school anyway (IMO).  There's a ton of stuff about homeschooling younger kids...I wish there were more about older ones.

It seems like it would save a lot of time and energy.  I could actually spend more time with them.  They're both very "interactive".  They like to do group discussions, projects, labs...  Both of them talk constantly when I'm trying to cook, etc.  They wouldn't like it if I just gave them something to work through on their own.

Thank-you for posting!

Some things. I have three in high school this year. We got several supplemental dvd's from "The Great Courses" that they'll watch together and hopefully apply what they learned to their individual workload. For most subject this year they'll spread across 9th, 10th and 11th grade work. We switched to Spanish I this year to combine their foreign language. My twins do the same lessons in math, but combining my twins for most subjects didn't work out as well as you might expect. One twin has dyslexia while the other scores well above average, so it was usually best to have them working with different materials for a variety of reasons. Combining classes sometimes invites comparison and competition, which can either work for or against the individuals involved.

My kids are similarly close in age, and this year (with an 8th and 9th grader) is the first year we've split up. Normally they do math and language arts on their own level. This year my freshman asked to split. She wanted some more challange, and she didn't want to be feeling like she was doing "middle school" work. My younger ages up (would likely be in 7th in PS - birthday timing), so I totally understand her request.

So far this year it's been a great decision. Older has her stuff, younger has his. There is DEFINITELY a step up for older into an honor-ish high school workload and younger enjoying middle school. For example, older is taking Biology (BJU 10th grade) online. Younger could get through it - but it's much better suited for older kids and he'll get a ton more out of it later. Older is taking chemistry - which younger doesn't have the math for yet. I don't want to have Older miss the class (it's her first co-op class, ever!) waiting on him so I can combine. And honestly, sometimes it's nice to not have your brother with you for every event.

Older is LOVING the challenge, younger is liking a "fun year with stuff I really like". It's funny because much of what Younger is taking is super solid - Sonlight Core 100, Algebra, etc. Some things for younger that are different this year - homemade science since he did the 8th grade level already, a couple online fun courses to fill his time a little, and lots of scout work to get him through the year. They're both busy and working hard, but I think this year - with an older girl and a younger boy - splitting them up makes a TON of sense.

I'm seeing that I'm more flexible and hands off this year, and with the kids ages and experience homeschooling it seems to be working really well.

:bigear:   Mine are back to back grades.  We separated some things a few years ago, but the oldest wanted to do it together.  Had another year together, but he whines so much I split everything again this year.  But looking at high school I think it could be beneficial to put together for a few subjects.  I have to decide this year so I can plan for spring purchases lol.  

Listening to what others think....

I don't know if you're going to check back to this thread, but I found this article today when I was searching:  http://www.welltrainedmind.com/multiple-children/  I've read it before, but never paid attention to the high school part.  She uses the example of two kids who are one year apart (see chart).