Menu

First time using.... (girl content)

Journey

All she can do is start with the smallest slender size available, follow the instructions, and lubricate the tip a bit (shoving a totally dry tampon in can be painful).  She needs to get it all the way in so only the string hangs out. Once in she should not feel it. If she does, it isn't in far enough.

Each of my girls it took a few tries to get the hang of it. Virginity shouldn't be a problem. 

I remember how in her book Child Star Shirley Temple wrote that the first time she used a tampon was on her honeymoon...she didn't know the cardboard applicator was NOT to be left inside. Ouch!

Possibly she's inserting it at the wrong angle. When it stops she should try adjusting the angle of attack so it will go further in rather than pushing against the side. I find plastic applicators to be easier to use; others prefer no applicator. She may have to try a couple different ones before she finds the kind that suits her.

Have her look at a picture of female anatomy so she can see the direction of the appropriate path :) It was very informative for me when I was in this phase of ife. "Oh - it's pointing *that* way!"

Perhaps once or twice use quite a bit of lubrication so she can feel that pathway without resistance? Resistance might suggest to her she's reached the end...but it's a long way up there. Encourage wiggling around?

My DD is 13 and just started using tampons when swimming. What helped her be successful with them: a good lube, teach her techniques about relaxing the vaginal muscle (this is *really* important), and plastic applicator tampons that she aims toward the small of her back. Also, you'll need to impress upon her that there will likely be a bit of resistance at first and to push past it.