Menu

Unscripted Grammer Program for 1st Grade?

rattfink

I'm pretty new here and could use some help. We are planning to start 1st grade with my oldest this fall. We did a lightly structured version of homeschool for K. She worked through both the kindergarten and 1st grade levels of HWOT and we have been using Phonics Pathways for phonics and spelling. We just officially started learning long vowels (which comes pretty late in their progression for some reason), but she has picked up enough rules from reading that she is pretty solidly a 1st grade reading level based on what books she can and can't read to me at reading time. For kindergarten I focused on reading, handwriting, math and fun extras, but our state requires we teach grammar starting in 1st grade. What does that look like? Where should I start? I'd rather not spend a ton of money, but I have a preschooler and a toddler too so I don't have time for a ton of prep. I also worry about scripted programs because every scripted reading program we tried ended with DD and I both literally in tears. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'll do my best to check back frequently to ask and answer questions, but the kids have been needing a lot today so there might be points where I am not very responsive. I promise I'll be back as often as I can. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are several suggestions I have for you....

Option 1:  Visual Learner who enjoys art projects and wants a "fun" grammar program.

I would highly, highly, highly recommend you check out Sentence Family.   We just did that with my 2nd and 3rd grader and they loved it.  (It is very light and would be great for introducing the parts of speech to a 1st grader.)   I would read the kids the story about the "new member" of the sentence family each day while they would color a picture of it.  We also memorized the lists and definitions of all of the parts of speech from First Language Lessons.  (Check out the First Language Lessons CD.)   It is AWESOME too.  It has all of the lists set to music.

We posted color copies of all of the various members of the sentence family in our school room and refer to them often.  

I would also add to that some copywork from the readers you are using.  I would have that replace handwriting once you have learned how to form all of the letters.  That will help re-enforce handwriting, mechanics, and spelling.  (It is a WORKHORSE subject.)    In first grade, we kept it pretty basic.  Focusing mainly on capitalization and ending punctuation.   You could also do things like find all the nouns in your copywork, verbs, etc.  

You may want to add in some poetry and oral narrations.

OPTION 2:   You need something that can be done independently (or even semi independently)

I would check out CLE.   It can be done mostly independently and it is a very strong program.   First grade focuses mainly on phonics, but it would count as grammar. 

ETA:  Another workbook option would be Daily Language Review from Evan Moore.   It is very light, and wouldn't take much time at all to do.  

OPTION 3:   You have a child who enjoys snuggling on the couch while you read to them...

In that case, I would check out the picture books by Brian Cleary.   Your library may have them.   I would start with noun and cover the basic parts of speech.  (Maybe doing some FLL definition/list memory work if you are so inclined.)   

Then, I would add to it some copywork for the books they read to cover mechanics in a gentle way.  (And re-enforce spelling and handwriting skills.)    I would also add some oral narration practice and call it good.

• Like 1

May I be nosy and ask what state requires grammar of a six year old? :001_huh:

Off the top of my head, Daily Language Review 1 from Evan-Moor takes 5-10 minutes a day. It's super simple.

We are in Arizona. Here we have to notify the state we are homeschooling by their 6th birthday and then teach reading, grammar, math, social studies and science. It is up to the parent how to teach and at what level and they don't require record keeping. However, we have a family member who has used CPS against people she doesn't like in the past so I want to make very sure that I have something to point to if we ever have anyone come asking.

I am in AZ. :) It's a homeschool friendly state in general. The law does say grammar specifically, but it does not state it must be taught every single year. It's one of those, just make sure you get it in there somewhere, things. They don't expect my highschoolers or kindergartener to study separate grammar, for example.

If you're truly concerned I change my vote to reading The Sentence Family and calling it good enough. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! DD loves both art projects and cuddling on the couch and reading so I think she'll love a lot of these and the younger boys are happy to hang out while I read almost anything so that would be easy. I can't believe I didn't think of copy work for grammar. Dd motors through handwriting books so I think she would like copy work and that would give me something to put in her binder in case anyone ever asks.

I teach my children grammar through their writing.  We use their copywork assignments for both mechanics and simple grammar when they are little.

This post includes a description of how you can go about teaching grammar:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/239259-bringing-karens-mention-of-essay-writing-to-a-new-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2363522

• Like 1

I teach my children grammar through their writing. We use their copywork assignments for both mechanics and simple grammar when they are little.

This post includes a description of how you can go about teaching grammar:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/239259-bringing-karens-mention-of-essay-writing-to-a-new-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2363522

Listen to this lady! She has a lot of wisdom to pour out. And when your kids are older, you should check out her writing and grammar program. We just started it----and we love it.

Thank you so very much everyone. There is a lot here to chew on, but I think a lot of it will really help both this year and in the years to come. I love the idea of starting slowly with stories that introduce the concepts and then moving on to incrementally teaching grammar. I would love if my kids could view writing as one easy step after another. DD tends to be hesitant about writing anything down because she lags behind a friend in reading and writing. I think that breaking it down into these small steps will really help her gain confidence and thus the practice she needs to really do well.

For k1st, I've had my kids memorize the parts of speech. As we learned each one, they would underline the words in their copy work that they could identify- nouns in blue, verbs in green, etc. that seems to be plenty for that age range! In 2nd, ds learned some basic sentence diagramming- subjects, predicates, d.o., I.o., compliments, linking vs action, and maybe a few other concepts. We just basically dismantled copy work sentences.

• Like 1