Menu

Drexel University Requirements for Homeschoolers - Is GED Needed?

Sebastian (a lady)

It looks like Drexel is asking for either an accredited program or a GED for homeschooled applicants.

Our homeschool isn't accredited and I don't plan on our kids taking the GED.  We don't homeschool in PA.

Anyone have experience with Drexel?  Is this something that there are exceptions to?  DS has SAT/ACT scores well above the middle 50% window.  He has four AP exam scores that are all 4 out of 5.  He was dual enrolled for pre-calculus and got an A in both semesters.

If you're going by what's on their website, is there someone there that you could ask specifically? The PA homeschooling law changed last year, but I noticed that Penn State's website didn't seem to reflect the reality of the new law, which annoyed me. However, when I talked with an admissions rep in person, she said they do accept the parent issued diploma with no problem, even though that's not what their website says. I'm wondering if Drexel's site just hasn't been updated yet. At any rate, here's a bump for you.

• Like 1

If you're going by what's on their website, is there someone there that you could ask specifically? The PA homeschooling law changed last year, but I noticed that Penn State's website didn't seem to reflect the reality of the new law, which annoyed me. However, when I talked with an admissions rep in person, she said they do accept the parent issued diploma with no problem, even though that's not what their website says. I'm wondering if Drexel's site just hasn't been updated yet. At any rate, here's a bump for you.

Thanks for the suggestion to just ask.  I sent an email off to admissions.  

I had forgotten that PA law had recently changed.  Hopefully the admissions requirements did too.  I'm simply unwilling to have my son sit for a GED when he's earning As in college courses and scoring well on APs.

• Like 1

Here I am!  My son who was accepted at Drexel last year was only homeschooled until high school, so unfortunately I can't help you.  

But I will say that I think it's crazy that there are still colleges out there that require the GED from home schoolers.  Ugg.

• Like 2

I did contact Drexel and ended up exchanging a couple emails with a member of the admissions staff.  She indicated that the homeschooler requirements were being revised and that new requirements would be out around the end of August.

I pointed out that in the states we'd live in, there was no requirement for accreditation and that homeschoolers did not receive a government endorsed diploma or transcript.  I also explained why I would be reluctant to suggest the GED to my son.

He might still apply to Drexel, but it depends on what they end up for a new policy.

• Like 4

No about Drexel, but Rhodes College in Memphis had that they required 2 SAT II tests from homeschoolers.  My daughter never took even one.  She is starting her freshman year next Thursday.

Every college except Emory allowed middle son to apply without SAT II tests even if they were listed as recommended or required.  I asked first.  Pitt at that time also wanted an accredited transcript, but accepted my guy without it.  All offered merit aid too.

I think the vast majority of colleges are waking up to what educated homeschoolers can be like, and those aren't always certain tests.

My guy had a very high ACT, 2 AP 5's and 2 DE As at the time of application.  Emory was the only school that said those weren't enough (and they don't require SAT IIs from non-homeschoolers, so it's not that).  Therefore, even though we drove right by Atlanta on one college visit trip, my guy refused to visit.  He's still pretty "anti" that school in the same way that students can be regarding a rival school.

Considering his loads of accomplishments so far, it's pretty obvious it's their loss to be so "in-the-box."

Personally, I don't mind.  Visiting at URoc is a closer drive for us and we've enjoyed a couple of side trips to Niagara Falls on his fall breaks!  I also really like that school (as does he).

So my bottom line?  If a school is unreasonable about homeschoolers... there are plenty of others to consider that are equally as good or better.  Why push at an unfriendly one?

And... just because they say something in print - always ask admissions.  In our experience, the majority (but not all) will make exceptions if you have other substantiation of ability.  We even had a school tell us (in person) that they really don't feel there's a need for oodles of tests because in their experience kids who test well, test well.  Period.  It only takes a couple to see that they are capable of it.  Then they like to see what they've done outside of home - in their community or in outside classes (like DE), etc.

• Like 2

No about Drexel, but Rhodes College in Memphis had that they required 2 SAT II tests from homeschoolers. My daughter never took even one. She is starting her freshman year next Thursday.

Having dealt with UMass Amherst, I have found you need to be careful of the difference between ADMISSION to a college and MATRICULATION. SATIIs are used for admission. If a student does not have them, the admissions office may choose to make an exception and it won't matter later. GEDs are (sometimes) used to fulfill the high school graduate requirement for matriculation. It is possible to be accepted to a college by the admissions office but then be denied matriculation by a different office (registrar?). It is a faint possibility, but it is one I would want to be very sure about before I accepted an offer of admission. There is a rumour floating around that a homeschool student got all the way through university and then was not allowed to graduate because of the lack of GED, perish the thought.

My youngest (no GED) was offered a spot in UMass Amherst's engineering school despite a number of emails back and forth in which admissions insisted that he had to pass the GED, so we investigated this a bit and found that the requirements were not consistent across the different departments (registrar, admissions, finances). This bothered me, but did not bother youngest. He just said he,d go and see what happened and if someone eventually insisted that he had to take the GED in order to be granted an engineering degree, he,d read a prep book and take it - no big deal. : )

Just something you might want to check into...

Nan

• Like 2

I did look up their policy on their website.  I would love to speak to someone who is revising the homeschool policy. With the new law, a parent in PA can issue a diploma (with the evaluator's signature) that has all of the rights and benefits of a high school diploma.

24 PS 13-1327.1(d.1) (1) Notwithstanding any provision of this act or any other law or regulation to the contrary, a high school diploma awarded by a supervisor or an approved diploma-granting organization shall be considered as having all the rights and privileges afforded by the Commonwealth, a Commonwealth agency, including, but not limited to, the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, a political subdivision, a local agency and an authority or instrumentality of the Commonwealth or a political subdivision to a high school diploma awarded under this act"

Don't take the GED. :-)

Here is what the Drexel website says currently:

"At the time of application, a homeschooled student must present a transcript from an accredited school or homeschool program. Applicants who are not participating in an accredited program must submit GED results in order to be considered for admission."

Ironically, because they do not know what they are talking about, any of the PA homeschool (state recognized) diploma programs are NOT accredited. I suspect that they were misinformed on homeschooling and homeschool diplomas to even have those words.

If you have any trouble, I have written and spoken to MANY colleges and cleared things up. I represent PHEA, Pennsylvania Home Educators Association.

maryalice

• Like 2

Well, my view is that if PA home educated students do not need to take the GED, then it would be discriminatory if they required other states to do such. :-)  In PA, the "supervisor" is the parent. So every homeschooler has a supervisor  issued diploma. I'm sure that colleges are not astute enough to realize that no other state has high school graduation requirements in their law or that only a few have evaluators. I would just go in with confidence with a parent issued transcript.

But if you do have problems, I could probably help.

maryalice

I did look up their policy on their website. I would love to speak to someone who is revising the homeschool policy. With the new law, a parent in PA can issue a diploma (with the evaluator's signature) that has all of the rights and benefits of a high school diploma.

24 PS 13-1327.1(d.1) (1) Notwithstanding any provision of this act or any other law or regulation to the contrary, a high school diploma awarded by a supervisor or an approved diploma-granting organization shall be considered as having all the rights and privileges afforded by the Commonwealth, a Commonwealth agency, including, but not limited to, the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, a political subdivision, a local agency and an authority or instrumentality of the Commonwealth or a political subdivision to a high school diploma awarded under this act"

Don't take the GED. :-)

Here is what the Drexel website says currently:

"At the time of application, a homeschooled student must present a transcript from an accredited school or homeschool program. Applicants who are not participating in an accredited program must submit GED results in order to be considered for admission."

Ironically, because they do not know what they are talking about, any of the PA homeschool (state recognized) diploma programs are NOT accredited. I suspect that they were misinformed on homeschooling and homeschool diplomas to even have those words.

If you have any trouble, I have written and spoken to MANY colleges and cleared things up. I represent PHEA, Pennsylvania Home Educators Association.

maryalice

Maryalice

Since you are local and have a background in the PA law you might want to reach out to them with suggestions for model language or practices.

I'm not sure if my son will be applying and if he did it would be as an out of state student. If he doesn't apply I will not be following up with Drexel.

• Like 1

Just remember, there is info on websites, and then different scenarios when you talk to them. Change comes slow, but it does happen with education of those making decisions. :-)

I understand that there is often flexibility.  So far the email exchanges have been pretty positive, though somewhat confusing.  For example, one person wasn't aware of any change in state homeschooling law.

I tried to be positive and explain why a GED was a potential negative and why I would be hesitant to suggest that my kid take one just to apply to one college.  Unfortunately their policy revision will be out sometime in late August (or later).  That is well after when he needs to submit his NROTC application to be looked at on the first board.  So it will be on the late end of things for him.  

Well, my view is that if PA home educated students do not need to take the GED, then it would be discriminatory if they required other states to do such. :-)  In PA, the "supervisor" is the parent. So every homeschooler has a supervisor  issued diploma. I'm sure that colleges are not astute enough to realize that no other state has high school graduation requirements in their law or that only a few have evaluators. I would just go in with confidence with a parent issued transcript.

But if you do have problems, I could probably help.

maryalice

Thank you,

I took the "supervisor" part to mean the outside evaluator not the parent.  (I am under the impression that an outside evaluator is part of the requirements in PA.)

I don't think our kid #1 is looking at PA but kid #2 is only a couple years behind...trying to keep my knowledge up.

I did find it interesting that Carnegie Mellon was content to evaluate based on my transcript, his test scores, dual enrollment grades and AP exam results without needing to resort to a GED.

Not to imply that he's a shoe in for CMU, because it is a long shot, even with his being in with the average enrolled student as far as scores goes.  But at least in my mind they are evaluating things that relate to readiness for college work.

I did find it interesting that Carnegie Mellon was content to evaluate based on my transcript, his test scores, dual enrollment grades and AP exam results without needing to resort to a GED.

Not to imply that he's a shoe in for CMU, because it is a long shot, even with his being in with the average enrolled student as far as scores goes.  But at least in my mind they are evaluating things that relate to readiness for college work.

The vast majority of schools do not require a GED of homeschoolers.  A few schools are pretty behind the times though - quite possibly due to an anti-homeschooler somewhere in the chain of command.  If Drexel is indeed looking at changing, good for them.  Better late than never.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is too late to help, but the answer is no. My daughter is a freshman at her first choice but we did apply to Drexel. I live in PA and do not participate in a diploma program. She did the Common App, and I mailed in her mom-created transcript, her resume and a Secondary School Report I wrote up. She was accepted with significant merit aid. No problems or questions.

• Like 4

Here's the policy I received from Drexel today:

Homeschool applicants must provide the equivalent of a high school transcript with course or subject titles, duration of study for each title, content of study for each title, and an assessment of performance or “grade.†Preferably, the courses completed at home are part of a curriculum developed and evaluated by a nationally recognized diploma-granting organization or agency or sponsoring public high school.

If an official transcript from a state homeschool association or sponsoring public high school is not available, homeschool applicants must obtain and submit a GED or a college transcript showing the completion of 24 or more college credits at the time of enrollment as confirmation of completing a generally acceptable secondary school curriculum. Individual homeschool transcripts with date of completion do not suffice as official proof of graduation.â€

That's a shame about Drexel. I just received a reply to an email I sent to Boston University regarding their requirement for proof of graduation from an accredited school or GED or high school equivalency exam. I had emailed to let them know that our state (California) recognizes a homeschool transcript and diploma as legally valid as long as we comply with state law to file a Private School Affidavit with the state. I offered that I can provide a copy of our Private School Affidavit to show we are in compliance with the law. Our state does not require homeschool students to take the GED or high school equivalency exam. I asked if our homeschool transcript and diploma would be accepted by BU.

They replied yes, "a homeschool transcript and diploma will certainly be accepted as proof of graduation". They ask for all the usual homeschool information: course descriptions, standardized exams, and transcripts of outside courses if any. Drexel will lose out on a great group of students with their narrow policy.

• Like 2

Here's the policy I received from Drexel today:

Homeschool applicants must provide the equivalent of a high school transcript with course or subject titles, duration of study for each title, content of study for each title, and an assessment of performance or “grade.†Preferably, the courses completed at home are part of a curriculum developed and evaluated by a nationally recognized diploma-granting organization or agency or sponsoring public high school.

If an official transcript from a state homeschool association or sponsoring public high school is not available, homeschool applicants must obtain and submit a GED or a college transcript showing the completion of 24 or more college credits at the time of enrollment as confirmation of completing a generally acceptable secondary school curriculum. Individual homeschool transcripts with date of completion do not suffice as official proof of graduation.â€

This is the same thing that I got from them today.  I'm not sure if they understand the nature of homeschooling and homeschool law in most states, which does not require supervision by a diploma-granting organization or a public high school.

My son, with 4's on four different AP exams and 17 dual enrollment credits would not qualify for enrollment.  Evidently his high scores on the SAT and ACT are also not indicative of readiness for work at a school with an average SAT well below his scores.  

I'm quite disappointed.

I don't see much reason for him to continue to pursue an application at a school that has so little regard for the educational process that brought him to this point.  I'm not going to suggest that he shift fires from college calculus and chemistry or studying for Subject tests in order to prep for a GED.

• Like 3

This is the same thing that I got from them today.  I'm not sure if they understand the nature of homeschooling and homeschool law in most states, which does not require supervision by a diploma-granting organization or a public high school.

My son, with 4's on four different AP exams and 17 dual enrollment credits would not qualify for enrollment.  Evidently his high scores on the SAT and ACT are also not indicative of readiness for work at a school with an average SAT well below his scores.  

I'm quite disappointed.

I don't see much reason for him to continue to pursue an application at a school that has so little regard for the educational process that brought him to this point.  I'm not going to suggest that he shift fires from college calculus and chemistry or studying for Subject tests in order to prep for a GED.

If Drexel is a choice for you, I encourage you to ignore what they sent and just continue with the app. Or call the admissions office directly and tell them to look for your application. That is their "official" policy but in the end, the admissions officers are people who are smart enough to see your son is qualified.

My daughter absolutely did NOT do a GED, and we did not do a diploma program.

They never contacted me saying anything was missing from her application.

We heard back in one month, enough merit scholarship to cover most of tuition and automatic acceptance into their Honors College.