Menu

Foerster Algebra 2: Did your kid do all the word problems?

It's often suggested on this forum to do all the word problems in Foerster's Alg 1.  We did and are glad of it, but I know a different text can be a different situation.  For those of you who used Foerster Alg 2, did your kid work all the word problems, or not?

No - we did either the odd or the even.  I actually looked at a bunch of teachers' websites and found their assignments for that book, and they never had the kids do all of them.  In the Algebra 2 book, they are very long, and get really complicated :)

If we had to go back over something, or needed review, then we used the questions we hadn't used before.

The TM has suggested problem sets.  Unfortunately, I no longer have mine so I can't tell you what percentage of the problems are assigned.  I do know that it is not all of them.  Also, if you are planning to use the Math Without Borders videos, suggested problem sets come with that, and again, it is not all of the problems.

• Like 2

To begin with, we did odds and all the word problems.

When it became clear that DD was getting the material solidly on a consistent basis, we started doing odd word problems as well, saving the evens for when a concept ended up being tricky.

DD normally despises word problems but says the ones in Foerster Alg 2 were "mostly very well written" and she could understand the set up without too much trouble.

• Like 1

For the most part I used the assignment list found in this pdf: http://www.andrews.edu/~calkins/math/syllall.pdf

But occasionally, I would add or substitute both regular problems or word problems (either because my son needed more practice or because I thought he would like a certain word problem). I especially looked for word problems on topics that might interest him. Foerster word problems cover an amazing array of topics! 

• Like 1

It's been a few years, but I know we didn't do all of them.  Either we did all odds or evens, or else I chose a variety which seemed to represent well everything we were working on in the chapter.  Then, we could always go back and do the rest if extra practice was needed.

Sorry to come back to this so late....I got sick the day after posting.

Thank you to everyone!!  It is so helpful to hear what worked for different families.  I feel like I have a lot of good options now.  My daughter is looking forward to getting back to Foerster after her year off for geometry.

For the most part I used the assignment list found in this pdf: http://www.andrews.edu/~calkins/math/syllall.pdf

But occasionally, I would add or substitute both regular problems or word problems (either because my son needed more practice or because I thought he would like a certain word problem). I especially looked for word problems on topics that might interest him. Foerster word problems cover an amazing array of topics! 

Wow a real syllabus with course details - most I see today are on the order of no cell phones in class and maybe the name of the textbook - this teacher gets an A+  

• Like 1