Menu

Concessions...

stormy weather

If you do concessions, how many items are on the menu?

I helped with concessions yesterday at the county fair and kind of felt like the menu was overcomplicated and bloated. I think there were 5 or 6 different hamburgers, BBQ sandwiches, Meatball Subs, Hot Dogs, Chili Dogs, Nachos, Frito chili pie, Baked potato with butter,bacon,cheese, and sour cream, Loaded baked potato with chili and cheese and a lot of other things like candy and chips, breakfast foods, burritos etc. that I can't even remember or that people didn't order :willy_nilly:  I would like to suggest that the menu be pared down next year to make it easier for the kids and also for the parents. :o

Also do you keep running tabs for people? How are things priced? Rounded off to the dollar? Do the kids handle money?

TIA

We did some 4H food booths at horse shows, etc.  Menu was like BBQ, hot dogs, or walking tacos (or something like that---3 main foods) and then some chips, dessert things, coffee, water and pop.  Really it was kept quite simple.  I think prices were either the dollar or 50 cents amounts so quarters was all the change you needed.  you might be able to just keep it at whole dollar amounts as well.

Simple really is best.

• Like 1

We've helped.

We had only a few items - hot dogs, hot dog with chili, frito pie, bbq sandwich, nachos, and then a variety of bagged chips and candy.

Kids under a certain age were not allowed to touch the food unless it was totally packaged (chips and candy only). This was due to our food service certification organization in town.

We didn't keep running tabs except for the officials that were hosting/running the event. 

All prices were rounded off to the next dollar. 

The kids mostly took orders and handled the money.

The event lasted several days. 

• Like 1

Hot Dogs

Hamburgers

Nachos

* Chili or cheese can be added to any of the three

* Other condiments are DIY

Soda

Water

Candy

Chips

Prices are to the quarter. So items can be 75 cents, $1.50, etc.

Children handle the money, but adults handle the grill.

Tabs are only run for members that set up that service before hand.

Simple menus are best, how limited depends upon equipment available, staffing, how many food vendors, and attendees.

We usually are one booth of many, so we pick something we are good at and do that one main thing for an event (chili can be a major component of 5 menu items, alone, on top of hot dogs, walking tacos, topping a baked potato, or a taco salad). At large multi team swim meets, where we are "it" however, we usually have several hot and cold choices (cold choices are usually pre-made).

Wait...what are "walking tacos"????

Various things, but mostly corn chips, chili (or taco meat), cheese, sour cream & chopped tomato (you use the individually-sized chip bag, crush the chips, add the other stuff on top, and eat out of the bag with a fork or spoon.

Various things, but mostly corn chips, chili (or taco meat), cheese, sour cream & chopped tomato (you use the individually-sized chip bag, crush the chips, add the other stuff on top, and eat out of the bag with a fork or spoon.

I thought those were called Frito pie.