Menu

My life after the illnesses (assuming I have one)

Luanne

My mother asked me the other day what I am going to do with my life (my time) when I get over all the health issues I have been having ... especially if I can't go back to work.  They did a blood test on me on Wednesday to try to find out if I have arthritis (throughout my entire body).  I don't know if anything can be done about arthritis or not.  I am still run down from the chemo and radiation I had last year.  I also had sinus/deviated septum surgery on June 18 (of this year).  I also have carpel tunnel from the 3.5 years I cashiered at Wal-Mart.  

Anyway ... the question I have is, what AM I going to do with my life (my time) IF I ever get over the health issues? .. or at least what can I do that doesn't require a large amount of energy that is worthwhile?  FYI - I really like educational things.

I don't know your background, but would working as a teacher's aide appeal to you? Homeschooling gives one experience in one-on-one (or one-on-many) tutoring and teaching....so perhaps you can format your resume to reflect that.

• Like 2

Take up a small musical instrument. I feel that's been worthwhile to me. It gives me great pleasure and even if I had to stop playing, I will always have that knowledge and understanding to appreciate music. Absolute worst case scenario-I'd rather the music teachers get paid than anything else so I have zero regrets in that department. I could die tomorrow but I will have had music and audio teacher got paid.

• Like 3

Anyway ... the question I have is, what AM I going to do with my life (my time) IF I ever get over the health issues? .. or at least what can I do that doesn't require a large amount of energy that is worthwhile?  FYI - I really like educational things.

Are you looking for a job of some sort (part time if you can't go back to "work") or a hobby for your general pleasure?

Are you able to take some community college classes?  It wouldn't need to be for a degree.  It could be merely because it interests you.  At some places, auditing can be allowed if you're not up to doing the actual work.  MOOC also has online (free) options of all sorts.

If looking for a hobby, you could head into a large bookstore and look in the hobbies section to see if anything interests you and start learning.

Otherwise, if looking for a time filler (once you are able to do things), see what's around for volunteering near you.  Time tends to be flexible for volunteering and there are multiple options dealing with animals, people, museums, etc.

Let your mind wander and follow rabbit trails if you have a spark from anything.

• Like 4

Praying for your healing.

Someone mentioned volunteering. I have really enjoyed the times I have been a volunteer ESL tutor. My dd and dh greatly enjoy volunteering at the local cat shelter. Volunteering is so satisfying.

I love the musical instrument idea! Perhaps you would be interested in reading about the effect of music (and animals) on our brains and our bodies.

• Like 3

I'm not looking for a job.  I am looking more for a hobby.  I get bored easily, but have little energy to do anything.  I also can't sit for long periods of time or stand for long periods of time.  I can lay forever, LOL!

Take up a small musical instrument. I feel that's been worthwhile to me. It gives me great pleasure and even if I had to stop playing, I will always have that knowledge and understanding to appreciate music. Absolute worst case scenario-I'd rather the music teachers get paid than anything else so I have zero regrets in that department. I could die tomorrow but I will have had music and audio teacher got paid.

I've been trying to figure out how I can pay for a violin.  I've always wanted to play one.  Thanks for the suggestion.