Menu

Japanese speakers

klmama

I understood that "chan" at the end of a name indicated that the person was a child and that "san" was for adults, but I just came across something about a young adult whose name ended in "chan."  Is there a particular age that it changes?  Also, what is the meaning of "kun" as a suffix?  Thank you.

Chan is a diminuative for a girl.  But I have close friends who still add "chan" to my name despite me being in my 50's because of our close friendship.  So it can be age related but also relationship related.

Kun is a diminuative for a boy.  Again, close relationship can mean that this is used even as an adult.  

• Like 3

Jean of course has this exactly correct, but I'd add that -chan is IME also often used in a kind of cutesy, affectionate way, especially among young people.  Children also often use it for their older relatives -- e.g., obaachan for grandma (instead of obaasan).  And it's frequently used for pets.  

Jean, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but -kun doesn't seem to me to have quite the same 'cute' connotation, and can in some contexts have more of a hierarchical meaning.  

• Like 2

Yes, you're right.  There can also be a fraternal type of feeling to -kun, so co-workers who are at the same level can use it in a business setting- but probably more for the 20-somethings than those who are older.  (Not totally sure about this. I was in my early 20's when I worked there so everyone older was definitely -san to me.  I don't know what the older people called each other when they weren't around us peons.)

Jean of course has this exactly correct, but I'd add that -chan is IME also often used in a kind of cutesy, affectionate way, especially among young people.  

Our Japanese exchange students have told us that their mothers and friends will often add -chan to their name as an endearment. One girl (a little homesick, I think) got a little teary when I wrote her breakfast note to "Marino-chan." :001_wub:

• Like 1