Menu

One Morning in Maine birthday party ideas

Sarah0000

My three year old, who will turn four in November, chose One Morning in Maine for his birthday theme. He also likes Blueberries for Sal, so that can be incorporated as well, but his favorite is One Morning in Maine. I'm looking for ideas for food, decorations, and maybe a simple activity or two. I'm definitely doing clam chowder for lunch. 

Blueberries for Sal:

You could make blueberry prints with corks and blue paint.

Go on a bear hunt by sitting in a circle and reciting the rhyme.

You could do a blueberry hunt around the house--like a treasure hunt, but use blue vase filler glass gems.

Serve blueberry cobbler or bear claws, blueberry flavored popsicles...

One Morning in Maine:

Paint little boats. I'm sure you could find wooden boats at the craft store.

Of course, I'd read the book during the party.

Oh--serve ice cream cones!

Maybe you could paint shells or something.

Hobby Lobby has a package of 3 plastic boats for 60 cents on clearance right now, if you want to put  boats in a goody bag or pinata.

• Like 3

Thanks for the ideas. I was also thinking of a "digging for clams" box with fake shells the kids could open up to find little surprises inside. Or just hide them around like an Easter egg hunt, but digging would be half the fun.

• Like 2

Decorations:

Seagulls? Shells? If you can find several inexpensive paperbacks of the book you could put the story up along the wall...you can also cut out illustrations to laminate, tape on skewers and use on the cake

Activity:

"dig for clams" using plastic shovels, a pile of sand and shells

We do have a wagon but the weather is unpredictable but often windy and rainy in November. I might be able to make a cardboard boat for the kids to just sit inside and pretend though.

And I could scan and print some of the key pages out of the book to hang on the wall, or to hang next to the associated activity or food.

I could also design blueberry bushes with fake leaves and floral wire, glue toothpicks on it, and stick real blueberries on the end to pick into tin pails.