Menu

Itchy tear ducts -- is there an easy fix?

Daria

For the past two weeks, the inner corners of my eyes have itched, one more than the other.   The itchy ebbs and wanes, but for a fair portion of the day they itch badly enough that I am rubbing and scratching them.  

Other than that, I have no eye related symptoms, or other allergy related symptoms.  My eyes do feel a little tender, but I assume that is because I am rubbing at them constantly, so they're irritated, but there's not redness or swelling or hotness.   I have a tendency to get very teary when I am very sleepy, my eyes will run like I'm crying even if I'm not sad, and this is still happening so I don't think my ducts are blocked.  

Does anyone have an over the counter solution I could try?  I thought that maybe it's the soap I used to wash my face, and I should change?  Or could it be allergies and I should try Benadryl at bedtime tonight?  Is this a sign of some dread disease I don't know about that would warrant a doctor's visit?  

I'm prone to some sort of pretty common eye infection that makes my eyes get sort of gunky, but mostly they just get itchy. Anyway, the cure is just baby shampoo. You just put a dab in the corner of your eye and wash it out. It usually only takes me a couple of days to rid myself, though I think my father, who also gets it, usually takes a few days.

• Like 1

For the past two weeks, the inner corners of my eyes have itched, one more than the other.   The itchy ebbs and wanes, but for a fair portion of the day they itch badly enough that I am rubbing and scratching them.  

Other than that, I have no eye related symptoms, or other allergy related symptoms.  My eyes do feel a little tender, but I assume that is because I am rubbing at them constantly, so they're irritated, but there's not redness or swelling or hotness.   I have a tendency to get very teary when I am very sleepy, my eyes will run like I'm crying even if I'm not sad, and this is still happening so I don't think my ducts are blocked.  

Does anyone have an over the counter solution I could try?  I thought that maybe it's the soap I used to wash my face, and I should change?  Or could it be allergies and I should try Benadryl at bedtime tonight?  Is this a sign of some dread disease I don't know about that would warrant a doctor's visit?  

It *could* be blepharitis.  I have had to see the doctor twice because of it (it's chronic, mostly unnoticeable, but sometimes there are flares or something, when I need meds). I wash my eyelids (the base of the eyelashes) every night when I shower. No, actually, I *scrub* my eyelids, very carefully, every night, with a washcloth. You might try that.

I'm prone to some sort of pretty common eye infection that makes my eyes get sort of gunky, but mostly they just get itchy. Anyway, the cure is just baby shampoo. You just put a dab in the corner of your eye and wash it out. It usually only takes me a couple of days to rid myself, though I think my father, who also gets it, usually takes a few days.

Yes. I saw an allergist for years, had shots, all sorts of things...the most useful thing to come of it was the recommendation of baby shampoo for my eyes. I have since tried all sorts of expensive makeup removers and the like, but nothing works as well as baby shampoo in a cotton ball for eye allergies:)

• Like 1

could be dry eyes or allergy.  (and no, allergy just makes it irritated - no redness.)

for allergy - zatador is an OTC.

for dry eyes - you want something without a vasoconstrictor (the "get's the red out").  just enough to moisten the eye.

It *could* be blepharitis. I have had to see the doctor twice because of it (it's chronic, mostly unnoticeable, but sometimes there are flares or something, when I need meds). I wash my eyelids (the base of the eyelashes) every night when I shower. No, actually, I *scrub* my eyelids, very carefully, every night, with a washcloth. You might try that.

I thought blepharitis was in your eyelashes?

• Like 1

This happens to me if I get dehydrated.

Hmmm that is interesting. I just posted on the migraine thread how I get what I think are migraines where I have all these symptoms of dehydration, but I shouldn't be dehydrated. I had one when this started.

I get the same thing.  For me, it's allergies.  I wake up with my eyes lightly crusty.  I even developed allergies to dogs after many years.  Getting old isn't fun lol.

I use Flonase or any other OTC nasal steroid (some people have preferences; I don't) and I take Zyrtec daily.  It keeps it under control.  I can tell a huge difference if I don't take the meds.

I get the same thing.  For me, it's allergies.  I wake up with my eyes lightly crusty.  I even developed allergies to dogs after many years.  Getting old isn't fun lol.

I use Flonase or any other OTC nasal steroid (some people have preferences; I don't) and I take Zyrtec daily.  It keeps it under control.  I can tell a huge difference if I don't take the meds.

So, that's the thing, no crustiness, no itchiness other than right in the corner.