Menu

Help me spend money!

It's been a long while since I have even looked here. We took an unexpectedly long break from school. We also enrolled in an online charter so we are giving up a little control for $. Actually it is time that DS learns from someone else and has more diverse classes. Anyway I get 150$ per subject to spend on math, music, LA, and science. What great books would you get? I already have so much, so I need thinking outside the box. For example. We already have the Pre-a text (Aops) we are using. I just need supplemental books. Maybe Zacarro books? Joy of Math? For LA I already have MCT-town. And for science I'm thinking of getting a good college level chem text. Any great suggestions on about those levels. Thanks.

If you are comfortable handholding for chemistry,

Nivaldo J. Tro

Introductory Chemistry Essentials (4th Edition)

paired with the Coursera class and help from you when needed could work.

I would spend the funds on lab materials/kits instead of books though as you could get books from inter library loans or gently used. Today I just picked up Hewitt's Conceptual Physics for free from a library's free to take pile.

• Like 1

I especially wouldn't spend large chunks of money on college (or grad level) textbooks. Once they're one edition back, they sell for maybe $5 or so each. DD is amassing quite a library of them (including, often, unused access codes for online content) from college students, grad students, and faculty members, beautiful books that a year before would have been over $100 and now have no resale value. Lab kits and materials, a good microscope and other tools, stuff like that is where I'd spend a windfall. Of course, the microscope DD wants is about $1500.

I'd also suggest Art Benjamin's Great Courses on DVD for math (wonderful-DD got to do a class with him not long ago, and we spent about $150 on his DVDs and books). He's an engaging speaker and focused on topics outside the typical sequence.

• Like 1

All great ideas, thank you. You are right about math not being up to college chem ready. But chemistry is his passion-- so I think he would be willing and able to learn any math needed along the way. But I could be wrong. It has been so long since I took it. I don't remember there being much beyond basic algebra-- equation manipulation. I'll definitely look into some great courses type of stuff. And no, we don't need to return anything back to the school when we are done with it. Thank you all!

Does he have the LOf Chem book yet? DD enjoyed it as a supplement (I can't imagine using it for high school chem by itself).

DD also really enjoys Uzinggo and IntoScience subscriptions. They're not challenging, but are fun (and, with a MiFi, work well in the car or while waiting-a big plus for this on the road mom).