Menu

Urgent care for dogs or when it's the weekend

mamaraby

I have a call in to our vet via their answering service, but apparently "we'll return your call shortly" means maybe tomorrow? I have a Golden who I noticed is now squinting and sensitive to light. He's been running in the yard some with the kids, but he's definitely laying down with his eyes closed more often than normal.

So, I'm assuming the squinting, sensitivity to light means he's in pain. If he was my kid, I'd take him to urgent care, but he's a dog and there's no health insurance. There's an emergency vet that's open 24 hours on the weekends. I imagine we're going to be talking office visit charge plus whatever tests they'd run. If we went to the regular veg, I suspect it'd be be north of $150.

But, is this an emergency? And if I go there, how much more expensive than a regular vet visit are we talking? Is it less expensive if I go in tomorrow during the day instead of tonight? Can I wait it out and take him in Monday morning first thing? Should I make dh pester the vet's answering service again?

And what is it with kids and dogs on nights and weekends?

Do you know of a vet school you can call? Ours has an after hours/weekend clinic and you can call to ask questions to see if you need to bring them in. It isn't any less expensive than going to the "emergency vet" place, though, just in case you're wondering. 

The vet did eventually call us back. She obviously couldn't diagnose him over the phone, but didn't think it was an emergency. As long as it doesn't get worse, we can wait until Monday. It hasn't changed, but it hasn't gotten any better, either. He's also not panting any more than our weather warrants.

I'll try the artificial tears today. Thanks for helping me think through it. I just feel so badly for him.

• Like 3

My cat hit the emergency vet a few weeks ago with an overnight stay, and it was about $700, only to find it was nothing horribly wrong.  Ugh.  In your dog's case, if he's showing no other symptoms than light sensitivity, I'd hold him indoors in a dim area of the house, take him for walks in the evening and before the sun gets really bright, and hold on for the regular vet. 

ETA:  Oops! Saw your update after I posted.  Glad the vet doesn't think it's an emergency.

• Like 1