Menu

Seriously - is SOTW for 2nd grade really enough?

FriedClams

I am having a little we-are-into-our-year-enough-to-make changes, and I need to make a change with history. We started with TOG 1, and after 7 weeks I have enough experience to know that I hate it. It's a *wonderful* program, it's just entirely too much for my K/1 and 2nd grader. Yes, I've cut, elimnated, reduced and did the pick-and-choose. It's not for me.

Anyway - as much as I want an integrated bible history/chronological approach to history - I really just want to step back and switch to STOW 1. I have the audio version and workbook and I would like to just start over - 2 chapters a week until we get to new material. I would like to do the story, narrate, answer the questions, color and do the maps and call it done. I might, on occasion and when my TOG fog burns off, use the TOG books that I have to supplement a little. A little. Is this seriously enough history for K/1 and 2? I am BURNED OUT from history right now and I would like to find my love for teaching history again.

THANKS!!!!!!!

I would like to do the story, narrate, answer the questions, color and do the maps and call it done.....Is this seriously enough history for K/1 and 2?

That was enough for my 4th/6th graders last year! In truth, we did add a bunch of extra books, history novels, etc. But basically, it was the framework of SOTW 2 plus a bit more.

I think it sounds like a wonderful plan. :001_smile:

I think for that age it is enough. It is what we are doing and my dc are learning so much. We use the additional reading suggestions in the AG to add some more depth to the lessons. Usually my library doesn't have the books that are suggested but they will have something else that is just as good. That's what I love about SOTW you can really make it fit to your family.

I'd say it's enough. It's what I'm doing for 3rd and 1st this year. Read, narrate/dictate, colour picture, call it done. On a good week I add in some project-I like to hit all of the baking ones since my dd's and I love to bake. If I don't get to a project I still call it done and move on. They'll get it again and you can refer back to the chapter as need arises. I also try to add in some books from the library when it works out, but I'm not stressing over lining everything up perfectly. The one thing I'm trying to do is to review their past work somewhat frequently.

HTH

I think it will be great! That is our history plan for 2nd grade (same for 1st last year). It works great for us and all of my kids love history (even the 5yo and 3.5yo. I can't think of anything else you need. Maybe read a few of the supplemental books listen in the activity guide when interest is there (or you think about it an advance).

How many second graders learn world history at all?

Frankly, SOTW2 is written at a level that would challenge a lot of second graders. Sonlight uses it in Core 6, which is often used by 6th or 7th graders. I think that the complexity and 'scattered-ness' of the material make it a little hard to follow--there is no real big picture during that era. SOTW3 is actually a little easier to keep track of, IMO.

Remember, you are looking for exposure and engagement here.

And remember, the skills stuff takes priority. Even if you didn't do ANY history this year, if you got in a solid year of math and language arts, you would be doing just fine.

For the non-skills stuff, actually, if I had it to do over again I might prioritize conversation in a modern language ahead of history. Developing an 'ear' for a modern language is much easier for young children than it is for older ones, so it's one of those windows of opportunity that does close somewhat later. Certainly I did prioritize Bible over history, and that has been invaluable.

History via SOTW has been great for DD, her favorite subject, really, but I have never viewed it as an essential during the early years--just really, really yummy gravy! (Or maybe frosting?)

And remember, the skills stuff takes priority. Even if you didn't do ANY history this year, if you got in a solid year of math and language arts, you would be doing just fine.

For the non-skills stuff, actually, if I had it to do over again I might prioritize conversation in a modern language ahead of history. Developing an 'ear' for a modern language is much easier for young children than it is for older ones, so it's one of those windows of opportunity that does close somewhat later. Certainly I did prioritize Bible over history, and that has been invaluable.

Thanks a million for the encouragement. We've got the basics covered:

2nd -

Horizon's math, Daily Mental Math (1 page, 1 "day" per day)

R&S2 Spelling

R&S2 Bible Readers - all comprehension questions, skipping "before you read"

Voyages in English Grammar (did R&S2 orally last year)

Copywork (Awana verses)

Memory Work (Awana)

Solid reader - 3/4th grade level easily - lots of reading on the side

Cursive - reviewing all letter learned last year with HWOT, then copywork in cursive

K/1-

Finishing Horizon's K math, then onto 1st in a month or so

A Reason for Handwriting K

Alternating reading and reading/workbook Pathway Readers 2

ClickNRead Phonics, in the 70's of 100 lessons

Strong reader - lots of extra reading on the side

For us, Bible is #1, but with TOG I've really felt our personal family devotions slipping - there's just so much for history that we were losing our zing. We're working through Leading Little Ones to God, as well as trying for a Proverb a day. I'd like to get back to our nightly story and read through the bible again with just discussion and prayer, but honestly, TOG wore us all out with the focus and amount that was "recommended" we cover. I am really praying that this switch helps us me get my feet back with just reading through and doing devotions.

We're also doing La Clase Divertad for Spanish, which as you mentioned I've made a priority over history. We're doing a lesson a week with that. For science we're finding our feet - maybe starting Apologia Elementary this week, lots of books, Nature Readers, fun stuff at the nature center, etc. I really wanted to lighten the history load to free up some more time for science without adding much time to our days. I like to get everything done between about 8 and 11:30, have some reading time in the afternoon and then a chapter or two of a read aloud story at night (more fun, less school-ish).

I am feeling super encouraged by all the comments, now I'll just relax and lighten up, LOL! Thank you all so much!

Absolutley. I think it is more than enough when used in conjunction with the activity guide. To me the projects and the extra goodies in the AG make the program so great. I also threw in some of the extra reading from the suggestions in the AG that our library had. I feel like my kids (and let's be honest, me too) got a great education!! SOTW has given my kids a love of history!!

seriously, if you did all of the recommended reading and all of the activities in the AG

See - that's my root question - can I just get by (and not be a total and complete slacker, LOL??) on the chapter, the AG pages (coloring, map) and 0-1 supplemental reads? Is that enough for young elementary? When I see:

"we did it..."

"it's great ..."

"when you do it ..."

"with all the supplemental reads and it was great" I cringe. I know - it's lame of me and I am throwing myself out here - but is bare bones enough for a 7 year old and a wiggly 6 year old?

If I were to do SOTW again, I would only read SOTW and notebooking and put more emphasis on fun projects than reading extra books. I would provide children's literature instead of using the supplemental books and I wouldn't have the literature fit the history topics unless my child wanted it to.

I think bare bones is absolutely fine because the focus is not history, it's the 3 R's. I would work on reading fluency more so than worrying about a history program. I'm sorry TOG didn't work out for you but I think it's great that you acknowledged it and are looking for solutions. :grouphug:

I definitely think SOTW is enough for that age. Add one or two picture books or an activity (once you're out of the "TOG" fog) if you want to add extra. I think at that age, less is better than too much.

If you want (now or in the future) a program that uses SOTW and adds in just a little more, check into Biblioplan. Very flexible, easy to use, good books for all ages. It's been a lifesaver for me!

See - that's my root question - can I just get by (and not be a total and complete slacker, LOL??) on the chapter, the AG pages (coloring, map) and 0-1 supplemental reads? Is that enough for young elementary? When I see:

"we did it..."

"it's great ..."

"when you do it ..."

"with all the supplemental reads and it was great" I cringe. I know - it's lame of me and I am throwing myself out here - but is bare bones enough for a 7 year old and a wiggly 6 year old?

I personally think it's plenty. We read one chapter a week, do the map work and the coloring page, and one activity from the AG for my kids in 2nd, 1st and pre-K. My 2nd grader will also be doing a supplemental read each week, when I figure out how to make our schedule work. <sigh> :)

As others have said, it's just to introduce them to history and whet their appetites. It's laying a foundation--they'll go into it in much depth in the logic and rhetoric stages.

I agree with the other posters that it is ABSOLUTELY enough. Make sure you have the book and the activity guide. Read some of the suggested books with each chapter, do an activity or two, map work, narrations. You'll be good to go!!! Simple. Complete. Fun. Meaningful. Sometimes less is more! I love SOTW!

Best wishes,

Angela

Last year, first grade. I covered the first 20 chapters with my son. We did one chapter a week for the most part, some ran into two weeks if we did multiple projects from it. We did at least one project for each chapter in the activity book and occasionally some of the worksheets. We took the test each week after listening to the audio chapter a couple of times.

This year, we reviewed the first 20 chapters by listening to them again, 2-4 chapters a week while in the car. Then we kicked off with chapter 21, project, worksheet and test.

You can always pick up books at the library to supplement if you think more needs to be added. I personally, do not think it does. I would recommend the test booklet. It covers different testing styles - fill in blank, multiple choice, true / false, etc. We just take the test orally for now. I am guessing I will go to written tests in Third Grade, maybe this year.

But I'm not one to push my students. He's not doing *formal* grammar or a *formal* writing program yet either:)

My ds has gone through SOTW vol. 1 in an outside the home history class a couple of years ago. He told me this summer that he didn't remember much from it and he wanted to go through it again this year. He listens to the audio while reading along. He does one section on Monday, then the next on Tuesday. I ask him the comprehension questions in the AG on those days. Then on Wednesday, he listens to the entire chapter at one time while coloring the color page. We do the map page after that on Wed.

I do have the Usborne World History book (the one with the cartoonish drawings). Each week I mark the corresponding pages with sticky notes for him to read at bedtime or his afternoon free time *if he chooses*. This is totally optional.

You'll be OK. Your kids will be OK.

The plan you propose is great--sometimes I didn't get out the books, (requesting them from the library, picking them up, etc, became unmanageable from time to time) sometimes I did and forgot to read them and sometimes we got them out and just looked at the pictures and sometimes we read them.

My kids loved the colouring pages--but the "core" for me is doing the mapwork and the narrations. Everything else is non-essential--for that age group!

You can always pick up books at the library to supplement if you think more needs to be added. I personally, do not think it does. I would recommend the test booklet. It covers different testing styles - fill in blank, multiple choice, true / false, etc. We just take the test orally for now. I am guessing I will go to written tests in Third Grade, maybe this year.

Per TWTM Catalog, the test booklet is "Ideal for students in grades 3 and up (younger students should use the review questions in the Activity Books)."

I do have the Usborne World History book (the one with the cartoonish drawings). Each week I mark the corresponding pages with sticky notes for him to read at bedtime or his afternoon free time *if he chooses*. This is totally optional.

:iagree: I recommend looking at pictures only, not reading the encyclopedias.

If I were you, I'd hang on to TOG for your second time through the cycle. That's when it really proves its mettle. I would have gone nuts trying to use it for LG only.

Yes, I will definitely hold on to it. I think it will be great later, but with my OCD self it's just too much for us now. Thanks for the advice!!

And yes, we'll do 1 or 2 projects a week. My older (2nd grade) cried when I told her we were ditching TOG. "But I loved the salt map and the ziggurat, and...". So yes, it's clearly the projects that are driving lessons home to the kids. We did the intro again yesterday, narrations were great and the kid focused time line about made me cry! LOL! Thanks again - y'all rock!