Menu

If you use BrainPOP, how do you use it and what components do you use?

pitterpatter

I'm thinking about using BrainPOP pretty heavily for science (first round physics) this coming year. I'm curious to how you all use it (as a supplement, primary resource, etc.) and what components you use (videos only, quizzes, activities, lesson plans, etc.). DD will be in third grade, so we will bounce back-and-forth a bit between BrainPOP and BrainPOP Jr.

We just use it as a fun extra. DD loves the videos - to such a degree that it's the first time I've ever had to actually set a limit on her screen time. I sometimes think about incorporating some of it into our studies, and might actually do so at some point. She already tells me "I already learned about that on BrainPop" with some history and science topics.

DD is academically advanced, but she has already outgrown the Jr. version at 5 years old. If you have to pay for each subscription, I'd just go with the regular one.

• Like 1

We have always just used it as a supplement.  If we are learning about a particular subject I might have them watch the brainpop as an intro.  Or I'll let them watch some that are related to a topic while I make lunch.  Other times I just let them pick whatever ones they want if they have some free time.  We rarely do the quizzes.  They like the jokes though.

• Like 1

The comics? I like those.

We have always just used it as a supplement.  If we are learning about a particular subject I might have them watch the brainpop as an intro.  Or I'll let them watch some that are related to a topic while I make lunch.  Other times I just let them pick whatever ones they want if they have some free time.  We rarely do the quizzes.  They like the jokes though.

• Like 1

We've used BP since DD was in 3rd, and she loves it.  Primarily we've used it as a supplement with the videos, quizzes, games, and worksheets in all her classes.  However, in 4th grade, it was DD's primary resource for Health.  I don't bother with the lesson plans because we just use our own.

Darn, I was hoping someone used the assessment components...worksheets, educational games (i.e. Sortify), Make-a-Map, activities from the lesson plans, etc.

Didn't know they had that.

As to how we use it: I hand the kids the iPad locked onto BrainPOP (Jr for B, regular for C) when I want them to entertain themselves for a while. I may forget about it for a few weeks, and then other times they may be on it every day for a while. So, they mostly self-select what they do, which videos they watch, whether to do the quizzes, etc. I think B likes to do the quizzes more than C, although B usually is pretty bad at the quizzes (but hey, he's 4). Occasionally I'll select a specific video and tell one of the kids to watch it (usually because the kid has asked a question about some topic, or sometimes because a kid has been struggling with some concept).

That said, this is how I used it while C was in public school. I may direct his viewing more next year while homeschooling... or not. We'll see.

ETA: I agree that for a 3rd grader, you probably don't want to pay much or anything extra for BrainPOPJr, although it depends on the kid. I assume they also still do the free video of the day/week, so you can watch those to see what level the videos are at before paying.

• Like 1

We're getting access to both for free. The more I get into scheduling/coordinating it with our print resources, the less BrainPOP Jr. fits. I think I'll likely let DD use it for fun on her own time. I was hoping their might be some easier, yet still worthwhile activities that I could pull in...activities that would be a little more independent for her. Some of the regular BrainPOP activities might be a bit much...particularly things in the lesson plans...like design and write a two-page brochure that features an alternative energy source. I want to do a little more cross-curriculum work this year with a couple of larger, more thoughtful projects that might take a couple of days to complete, but they need to be things she has the skills for.

Didn't know they had that.

As to how we use it: I hand the kids the iPad locked onto BrainPOP (Jr for B, regular for C) when I want them to entertain themselves for a while. I may forget about it for a few weeks, and then other times they may be on it every day for a while. So, they mostly self-select what they do, which videos they watch, whether to do the quizzes, etc. I think B likes to do the quizzes more than C, although B usually is pretty bad at the quizzes (but hey, he's 4). Occasionally I'll select a specific video and tell one of the kids to watch it (usually because the kid has asked a question about some topic, or sometimes because a kid has been struggling with some concept).

That said, this is how I used it while C was in public school. I may direct his viewing more next year while homeschooling... or not. We'll see.

ETA: I agree that for a 3rd grader, you probably don't want to pay much or anything extra for BrainPOPJr, although it depends on the kid. I assume they also still do the free video of the day/week, so you can watch those to see what level the videos are at before paying.

We're getting access to both for free. The more I get into scheduling/coordinating it with our print resources, the less BrainPOP Jr. fits. I think I'll likely let DD use it for fun on her own time. I was hoping their might be some easier, yet still worthwhile activities that I could pull in...activities that would be a little more independent for her. Some of the regular BrainPOP activities might be a bit much...particularly things in the lesson plans...like design and write a two-page brochure that features an alternative energy source. I want to do a little more cross-curriculum work this year with a couple of larger, more thoughtful projects that might take a couple of days to complete, but they need to be things she has the skills for.

I think that that should be quite doable for a 3rd grader. Maybe not completely independently, but with several big drawings/pictures you'd fill a large part of those two pages (and really, brochures should have pictures), and then a 3rd grader's handwriting which is much bigger than a brochure written on a computer, so not *that* much text is required. A lot of the text would be modified from the video. I haven't looked at those videos, but probably something like: "Use solar energy. Solar energy comes from the sun. It is good for the environment. It doesn't pollute. It is better than oil, because it doesn't run out. Think of the future and use solar energy!". Maybe a bit more (there might be more useful info in the video), and some captions for the pictures, e.g. "solar panels on a house". And for help spelling difficult words, BrainPOP has subtitles, so if you pause the video you can copy words you're struggling with.

I'm pretty confident I could talk C through that, and after talking him through one brochure, he could probably do a second one (wind energy?) practically independently if he has the first one as a template. I guess that's the upside of him just having finished 2nd grade in public school - I've seen what he brings home from that, so when I read "2-page brochure on alternative energy" I envision something akin to what he's brought home from school, not a brochure you might pick up from the power company.

ETA: that was the low end of what I'd think of for that assignment, btw. Maybe make up a name for a power company (e.g. PowerCorp), and then draw a little table to compare the cost of the regular energy plan vs. the solar energy plan (let's dub that SunPlan), and e.g. write $100/month for regular energy, $110/month for solar energy. Depending on the kid's skill level you can make it more complex. Still... it doesn't have to be very involved.

• Like 2

Yes, you're right...the activity could work, if we tailored it. It was recommended for 6-12 grade students. Programs like Microsoft Publisher, etc. were recommended. I was hoping for projects that I wouldn't have to tailor, as I tend to get stuck on what is reasonable for her age. This is my first (and only) child and my expectations tend to run a bit high. It's difficult for me to know and understand what she can and should be capable of at her age. I do better when an activity is specifically labeled for 3-4 grade.

When you follow the four-year cycle, you are often pushed into using resources that are for middle schoolers for the first round. A lot of the output can require language arts skills that young students have not yet mastered or even learned.

I think that that should be quite doable for a 3rd grader. Maybe not completely independently, but with several big drawings/pictures you'd fill a large part of those two pages (and really, brochures should have pictures), and then a 3rd grader's handwriting which is much bigger than a brochure written on a computer, so not *that* much text is required. A lot of the text would be modified from the video. I haven't looked at those videos, but probably something like: "Use solar energy. Solar energy comes from the sun. It is good for the environment. It doesn't pollute. It is better than oil, because it doesn't run out. Think of the future and use solar energy!". Maybe a bit more (there might be more useful info in the video), and some captions for the pictures, e.g. "solar panels on a house". And for help spelling difficult words, BrainPOP has subtitles, so if you pause the video you can copy words you're struggling with.

I'm pretty confident I could talk C through that, and after talking him through one brochure, he could probably do a second one (wind energy?) practically independently if he has the first one as a template. I guess that's the upside of him just having finished 2nd grade in public school - I've seen what he brings home from that, so when I read "2-page brochure on alternative energy" I envision something akin to what he's brought home from school, not a brochure you might pick up from the power company.

ETA: that was the low end of what I'd think of for that assignment, btw. Maybe make up a name for a power company (e.g. PowerCorp), and then draw a little table to compare the cost of the regular energy plan vs. the solar energy plan (let's dub that SunPlan), and e.g. write $100/month for regular energy, $110/month for solar energy. Depending on the kid's skill level you can make it more complex. Still... it doesn't have to be very involved.

DS watches for free time on brainpop (jr is too easy for us except maybe LA). If I remember to play them and they have a topic, he watches a few related to the subject. For us the quizzes need to be read aloud if I do them, and quizzes for brainpop are significantly more difficult and usually obscure than jr questions. I like it as a supplement but wish they were more in depth and more topics (about 1/2 or less are topics related to what we need).

One good feature: there are math and LA clips to explain concepts too. And I use them for some art and music appreciation.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right...the activity could work, if we tailored it. It was recommended for 6-12 grade students. Programs like Microsoft Publisher, etc. were recommended. I was hoping for projects that I wouldn't have to tailor, as I tend to get stuck on what is reasonable for her age. This is my first (and only) child and my expectations tend to run a bit high. It's difficult for me to know and understand what she can and should be capable of at her age. I do better when an activity is specifically labeled for 3-4 grade.

OK. I didn't realize that exercise was labeled as 6th-12th grade. I didn't even realize that BrainPOP targeted kids that old... I thought it was about 3rd-8th grade or so (and K-3rd for Jr).

They seem to have a lot more stuff on their website now than last time I looked (a few years ago). Hadn't looked at their website in forever because we have the app for the videos etc. Anyway, thanks for pointing out that they have activities etc, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Like 1

Oh, gosh. Don't be sorry, I appreciate your responses and the dialogue.

I've poured over BrainPOP the past several days while coordinating their videos, etc. with my print resources. The lesson ideas aren't really that great after all. There aren't all that many of them, as they repeat over and over and over and many are too general...like host a science fair. However, I find there are many very nice worksheets (labeled as activities). Not all videos have them, but a great many do. Several feature nicely-drawn diagrams to label. Corresponding graphic organizers are often included as well.

For those who can access BrainPOP for free, I think it is a very good resource. I've decided to use it alongside Nomad Press project books next year as a main resource for physics. I do wish I would have had it for chemistry. I think the videos are great for introducing complex subjects.

OK. I didn't realize that exercise was labeled as 6th-12th grade. I didn't even realize that BrainPOP targeted kids that old... I thought it was about 3rd-8th grade or so (and K-3rd for Jr).

They seem to have a lot more stuff on their website now than last time I looked (a few years ago). Hadn't looked at their website in forever because we have the app for the videos etc. Anyway, thanks for pointing out that they have activities etc, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Like 1