Menu

What are your favorite middle grade read-aloud novels set in SUMMER?

EKT

We are going on vacation to the lake in a couple weeks and I want to be sure to have plenty of terrific, summery read-aloud novels lined up. I'd love to know your favorites! (I have girls but they are game to read most anything.) We are going to start with The Penderwicks. Thanks for any recs! :-)

The only specifically summer-themed book that springs to mind is One Crazy Summer. Oh, and Dumpling Days, so that's two :) (Dumpling Days is third in a series, but you don't need to read the first two first.)

*thinks*

Oh, and Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer. It's an epistolary novel, though, so it might not be suited for reading aloud. Roller Girl, being a graphic novel, is similarly risky, although both books are good for reading.

*thinks some more*

There's also Summer of the Gypsy Moths, but a lot of people don't like the central premise of the book. And Vodnik, but that can be a little intense in some scenes, and it might be better for a slightly older crowd.

Oh! And of course, Millicent Min Girl Genius and the two companion novels.

Let me think some more and get back to you if anything else jumps into my memory.

• Like 1

I did think of a few more, how about that? I had to open some and confirm they are indeed set in the summer. Gee, you'd think this would be easier!

Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It

Under the Egg

Seaglass Summer

The Lemonade War

I Want to Go Home!

The Thing About Luck

A Long Way from Chicago

Kinda Like Brothers

Summer of the Mariposas

The Exiles

• Like 1

Off the top of my head... Maybe I'll add more if I think of any...

One Crazy Summer

The Saturdays (and, especially, The Four-Story Mistake)

Gone-Away Lake

A Long Way from Chicago

Turtle in Paradise

My One Hundred Adventures

And I have to include one picture book...

Weslandia

• Like 1

I remember loving The Pink Motel, though I haven't read it for so long that I'm not sure if I'd feel the same about it now or not...

But here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Motel-Carol-Ryrie-Brink/dp/068971677X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435212054&sr=1-1&keywords=the+pink+motel

This is what one commenter says:

"The two curious kids who lead very ordinary lives back home, keep looking for adventure at every turn in the story to make this vacation one to remember. A delightful tale that every summer vacation should live up to!"

• Like 1