Menu

Schooling with a toddler: How can I set myself up for success?

Come September I'll have a kindergartener and second grader, and my darling 15 month old along for the ride. I'm well aware that this year is going to be much more challenging than last year. I'm looking for tips on schooling with a toddler from those who have gone before me.

FWIW, I think I've done pretty well about not going overboard with our school plans. The k'er will do math and phonics. My second grader will have miquon math, aas 2, eltl 2, and beautiful feet geography. I also have a morning basket of things I'd love to get to more often than not, but realize that this time will probably have to be shorter than I'd like.

How can I set myself up for success? I need some advice on routines and organization, etc. And at the end of the day I'd like to know everyone got the time with me that they needed.

Thanks!

I have certain puzzles and toys that are only for school time.  There are several choices so it isn't the same thing everyday.  The littles also have their own space in the school room which makes it less likely for them to try to squeeze in where they would be disruptive.  

We also take a lot of breaks.  It's better for everyone to get up, move around, and make some noise.  

I was putting the day's schedule up so everyone could see what and how much was left, but after our last move we haven't gotten back to it.  I miss it.  I felt much more on task with it.  

I'm sure you'll get mountains of great advice from others.  Good luck!

When I had a toddler, I used my mornings for errands/field trips/fun activities and saved anything purposeful for his nap time.  Now he doesn't nap. :glare:  For the first part of this past year, he spent his time making epic messes with all those "special school-time toys" I had set aside.  Now he's capable of using the tablet, which buys me enough time to get some direct instruction in.  I also haul out the Letter Factory video some days in the name of educational distraction. :blush:

I really relaxed my expectations of what our day would look like. My schedule was more like a list of tasks that needed to be completed. Everything was done in short bursts. Nap time (while it lasted) was maximized. I utilized a lot of babywearing, particularly back carries, to focus on the older kids. I remember having friends ask how long lessons took at our house and my answer was forever! It wasn't the amount, it was the spacing out and having to drop everything whenever the little one needed me. When my older kids had screen time, I gave my little some one-on-one time. It was rough, but we lived through it and lessons kept getting done. I'm actually a little overwhelmed thinking about doing it all over again.

I closed off all parts of the house that were unnecessary. Bedrooms, bathrooms, everything that we didn't have to have. This is because I didn't want to go fish the remote out of the toilet mid math lesson. It was nice that we could clean up the other parts of the house, shut the doors and have them not destroyed by our little tornadoes. I'd clean my room and it felt so good to know that when the whole house was trashed, there was one room, (mine) that was reasonably neat.

• Like 3

Naptime is your friend. I know it's kind of the "norm" to want elementary age school to be done by lunchtime, but it always made much more sense to me to get the "mom intensive" stuff done in the afternoon when baby/toddler is sleeping. My 2nd grader does just a little bit of school in the mornings and the bulk of her stuff with me in the afternoons, and it works really well.

Read aloud during breakfast and lunch when toddler is contained in a chair and busy with food.

15-20 minutes of morning time is plenty. You'd be surprised how much "truth and goodness and beauty" you can cover in a year with only 15 min a day!

Play and cuddle with the toddler BEFORE morning time so their "love and attention" tank is filled up before you start your school day. Even if it's just looking at a couple of picture books together, it goes a long way.

We always take a big long break in the middle of the day (12-2ish) so after lunch I can play with the toddler and take her outside and get her good and tired and give her some more attention before her nap. After nap she gets a snack and usually watches a short movie, so that buys some time too.

This year we're trying something new. My toddler's name is now one of my 2nd grader's "on her own subjects". :) I have a list of fun activities/games for her to do with the toddler every day for about 20 min or so.

That's all I've got ... hope it helps!

• Like 1

My boys always worked so much better in the morning, so I had a different schedule for the toddler during those years. I would send the boys to bed around 7:30, but keep her up until 9 or so. Then, my husband & I would have a few hours together before we went to bed. The boys would wake up around 7 and we'd get started on school right away. The baby wouldn't wake up for the morning until 10:30, so we got everything done before she would wake up. The bonus was that she was then ready to do stuff in the afternoon with our homeschool group. That won't work if the kids don't cooperate with that schedule, but for us it worked out perfectly.

Duct tape.

:D

I will also have a toddler this coming year. I have a toy room off the school room. I'm going to have the older kids take turns reading in there, so that she will have some company. We will, hopefully, lovingly include her in our morning, work diligently through her nap, and stick her in front of the tv as we finish up. Not perfect, but we will survive. My oldest will be doing some high school level work. The boys will be working on those in between skills, and Dd5 will be working on reading and math. Everyone is going to need attention from me. So mostly we will take it day by day, doing what we need to do to make it happen. Not duct tape, though. That was a joke.

I just got a counter height table for our school room that my 18 month old can't climb up on. I'm hoping that will help with this toddler whose favorite place to sit was in the middle of our old table and throw things off or try to rip anything he can get his little hands on. I also have 2 play yards that I plan to set up with activities for the littles to help them stay occupied while I wotk with the others. This year I will have a 4 year old and an 18 month old with 2 schooling and 1 after schooling. I hope the high table helps. Ask me in a month or so!