Menu

Time to replenish my fish oil supply. What's your favorite?

Seasider

I loved Omega Brites but couldn't afford it anymore for 3 people.  We now use Country Life Omega 3 mood----2 capsules per day.  I get them online but don't use Amazon super cheap as once I got a rotten bottle from them but Vitacost, Vitamin world, etc. are all reputable.  Just look for sales and coupons.

• Like 1

I still use Nordic naturals ultimate omega or proomega (they're the same. one is "professional")

according to my ND, the children's omega stuff (no matter the brand) is pretty worthless and she considers them a waste of money.

• Like 2

I use the Nordic Naturals ProOmega-D, 1000mg softgels. My eye doctor recommended them to me because my eyes were getting dry, and they seem to have helped.

how long did it take to notice an improvement?  is it specific to the addition of the vitamin d?  (I take about 4,000 - 6,000 IUs)

did your doc give you a reason your eyes were drying?  or just age related?

• Like 1

I still use Nordic naturals ultimate omega or proomega (they're the same. one is "professional")

according to my ND, the children's omega stuff (no matter the brand) is pretty worthless and she considers them a waste of money.

Is the ProOmega the "professional" one?

I only ask because I would hate to think I've been using some sort of amateur fish oil. ;)

how long did it take to notice an improvement? is it specific to the addition of the vitamin d? (I take about 4,000 - 6,000 IUs)

did your doc give you a reason your eyes were drying? or just age related?

He said it was age-related. I don't have a real medical condition, but my eyes can get sort of blurry sometimes and the doc said it's due to dryness. I have found that the fish oil gets rid of that blurriness to the point where I almost never get it anymore unless my eyes are super-tired.

I also take a separate vitamin D supplement every day, but I was taking that when I was having the dry eye symptom, so I guess it wasn't helping! :)

I don't know exactly how long the fish oil took to work. I want to say it was probably a few weeks -- I know it was pretty quick and I was surprised that it worked. My doc said many brands of fish oil are worthless but he had researched this specific one and thought it was the best. He started recommending it to people after it worked on his own dry eyes.

• Like 1

Do your children take the omega/proomega?

Thanks! I do have both dry eyes and a blepharitis diagnosis, both of which are compounded by a need to take antihistamines for seasonal allergies. The blepharitis causes eye oil to become thick, which leads to blurriness sometimes, but (more often for me) also causes the oil glands along the lash lines to get clogged, resulting in pain under the eyelids. (Most folks get crusty eyelashes but I have the anterior form, which occurs more under the eyelid.)

Carwoman, this recommendation from your doc sounds perfect. I will look for it. I also tend toward low vitamin D despite enough daily sunshine, so it would be very convenient to have it included.

• Like 1

Op, I started taking fish oil on the rec from my eye doctor too.  He recommends it for anyone (unless a medical or prescription prohibits it) (esp ladies) 40 and over or those with dry eyes.  I really notice a difference in my eyes if I don't take it.

• Like 1