Menu

History of England

I'm looking for a good history of England (for myself, not my student). I've read a fair amount about the Tudors, because I find them fascinating for some reason, but I'd like to get a comprehensive overview of all of English history. I'm an American, and not exactly a history buff, so a beginner or introductory type work is perfect. I don't need this to be a scholarly tome. Something interesting and fun to read. I would also like for it to include information about the everyday lives of the common people and the culture, and not be just about the monarchs and the battles and the huge events.

Any suggestions for me?

• Like 1

I bought Stobaugh's British History.  It is short and to the point.  I'm not sure how to recommend it.  Did I like it?  Yes.  Did it do the job?  Yes.  But, the lessons were brief.  England has such long, deep, rich, history. The text is about 250 pages.  I did not purchase the teacher book.  I wanted a supplement to our world history program.  This book did quite well adding to an overall world history program.

• Like 2

I bought Stobaugh's British History. It is short and to the point. I'm not sure how to recommend it. Did I like it? Yes. Did it do the job? Yes. But, the lessons were brief. England has such long, deep, rich, history. The text is about 250 pages. I did not purchase the teacher book. I wanted a supplement to our world history program. This book did quite well adding to an overall world history program.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Someone gave me a copy of An Utterly Impartial History Of Britain by John O'Farrell. I can't recommend it because I haven't read it but my dd has been enjoying it. The little bit I have read is presented in a pretty humorous manner but it could be too British. Goodreads gives it mixed reviewshttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1935045.An_Utterly_Impartial_History_of_Britain_or_2000_Years_of_Upper_Class_Idiots_In_Charge.

• Like 1

Someone gave me a copy of An Utterly Impartial History Of Britain by John O'Farrell. I can't recommend it because I haven't read it but my dd has been enjoying it. The little bit I have read is presented in a pretty humorous manner but it could be too British. Goodreads gives it mixed reviewshttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1935045.An_Utterly_Impartial_History_of_Britain_or_2000_Years_of_Upper_Class_Idiots_In_Charge.

Sounds fun! Thanks!

I've read Norman Davies The Isles and Oxford's History of Britain but they're both kind of heavy.  If you have Audible (or check your library) there are two great courses I like, the first one covers Rome to Tudors the second covers Tudors to Stuarts.  I haven't listened to the Stuart to Victoria one yet.  Also check out Monarchy (2 seasons) on Netflix.   For fiction Edward Rutherford has 3 books Sarum, London, and the Forest (he's also written a 2 book set on Ireland, one on New York and another on Russia).  I own all of them and have read them several times.  They are thick but worth it.  There are tons of videos on YouTube that cover different parts of English history one of my favorites is The Worst Jobs in History series.

• Like 2

I've read Norman Davies The Isles and Oxford's History of Britain but they're both kind of heavy. If you have Audible (or check your library) there are two great courses I like, the first one covers Rome to Tudors the second covers Tudors to Stuarts. I haven't listened to the Stuart to Victoria one yet. Also check out Monarchy (2 seasons) on Netflix. For fiction Edward Rutherford has 3 books Sarum, London, and the Forest (he's also written a 2 book set on Ireland, one on New York and another on Russia). I own all of them and have read them several times. They are thick but worth it. There are tons of videos on YouTube that cover different parts of English history one of my favorites is The Worst Jobs in History series.

Thank you! :)

It's not England only but I enjoyed Simon Schama's History of Britain.  There was an associated telly series too, so you might want to borrow that to see the places he mentions.  The book is in more than one volume, so you could go with the series if you wanted something lighter.

• Like 2

I've read Norman Davies The Isles and Oxford's History of Britain but they're both kind of heavy.  If you have Audible (or check your library) there are two great courses I like, the first one covers Rome to Tudors the second covers Tudors to Stuarts.  I haven't listened to the Stuart to Victoria one yet.  Also check out Monarchy (2 seasons) on Netflix.   For fiction Edward Rutherford has 3 books Sarum, London, and the Forest (he's also written a 2 book set on Ireland, one on New York and another on Russia).  I own all of them and have read them several times.  They are thick but worth it.  There are tons of videos on YouTube that cover different parts of English history one of my favorites is The Worst Jobs in History series.

We LOVE that series!!!

• Like 1

I found this on DVD at my public library. My husband and I have watched the first couple of episodes. We're both really enjoying it!

Is anyone familiar with this? http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-History-England-Earliest-Beginnings/dp/1250037557

No, but he's a good writer.  He can be a bit quirky but I would guess it would be good.

• Like 1