Menu

How do you save useful threads & posts from the Hive?

I find myself searching for threads I've read here at least once a week. I've gotten pretty good at using google search to find what I need & I'm usually able to find what I'm looking for, but I'd really like to be able to save entire threads to Evernote or something sometimes.

How do you save the gems so you can find them again? I usually "follow" threads, but even that list is getting hard to navigate and I can't always remember if I participated in the thread (that would be under 'My Content') or if I just followed.

• Like 2

Well when I first started reading the boards, years and years ago, I did a combo of things.  I used to print (worthless, never referred back), tried saving links (I sometimes still do), and took LOTS of written notes.  For me a *written* note, something I physically wrote, seems to make it stick.  Everyone is different, but that's what it takes for me.  So I started using bound composition books and spiral notebooks and I always make my notes into the bound book.  When I did written notes I just ended up with too many loose papers! 

So it's kind of funny.  Because I've never thrown any of those books away, I have my books, notes, and thought process and what struck my eye from way back when my dd was in 1st and 2nd grade, hehe.  It's kind of funny to see the thought process evolve, see what I eventually bought, didn't do, etc.

That's still what I do.  I have a vertical desk organizer and I keep a variety of spiral notebooks for my notes.  One is for photography, another for ds, another for dd, etc.  If I start a new major project that will involve lots of dedicated research, I start a new spiral notebook.  They're like 10 cents in the fall, mercy, so I stock up with piles of them!  I keep them in a drawer, so it's easy to whip out a new notebook.  That way I'm never tempted to use loose paper, the BANE of my existence.

That's just what works for me.  Once I write it, I almost never have to refer back.  If I do need to, it's all there, in chronological order, making it easy to find. Label the cover and store in a drawer as you fill them.  

For my bookmarks, which I only make *sparingly*, I use a system organized by child and subject, so the bookmarks are put into their logical categories right away.  I only do this for the MOST special threads, the ones I don't need for a couple years and don't want to forget.  It's sort of my future thought storage.  So, for instance, I have a folder of Conceptual Physics threads and anything I come across in that vein is bookmarked in there.  The physics folder, chem folder, bio/life science folder, etc. are all organized into a science folder and that within Dd's folder of bookmarks.  So when I want to go through my stash of ideas for how I could approach Dd's physics, I just look in that stash of bookmarks.  That way I can collect for years and use them when I get there.  If it were in Evernote and I was searching with words, wow what a mess.  Those terms might have come up in lots of links, so I'd have lots of false hits, which I don't have time for.

You didn't ask about amazon wishlists.  I make EXTENSIVE use of amazon wishlists and need to make dramatically less notes since I started getting more active about that.  So I have lists like 2nd grade for boys, US History for girls, etc., meaning I have kid-specific lists of things I found through WTM.  Someone mentions something, and I just go there and find it and add it to the appropriate wishlist.  Then when we get to that grade or subject I just peruse the list.

Another way to keep track of your ideas is pinterest.  No good for WTM threads, but if you're following links, finding cool things on blogs, etc. and want to keep track of them, make a pinterest board.  

• Like 2

I just follow threads. If I participated, there's a little star before the thread name, is there not for you?

I do go through my list of followed threads and unfollow some periodically. Some are ones I followed for a particular issue that has now passed for me. Some I followed because the topic was interesting but they never developed into anything.

• Like 1

Most threads I like, I'll just follow, but like you said, it does become unwieldy. I also organize my bookmarks in Chrome to save things. I can access those bookmarks from any computer. When I first started, I would copy and paste threads into a Word doc.

But, I - like OHElizabeth - have spirals and composition books going as far back as when dd15 was in preschool. I actually recently pulled out a 3 ring binder of stuff that I had saved and printed in dd15's K days, and had lesson plans in it, so I could compare to my plans for current dd4. 

But, I do love my composition books. I like seeing those thought processes. Spirals are okay, but most are perforated and the pages come out too easily.

I have files in my chrome bar. My "Hive" file currently has 18 links saved. When I'm down with an injury or illness I take the goodies in them and put them here (not all from TWTMF).

I like that file. I liked it so much I made a copy for my own chrome docs. :D Maybe one day I'll also have something useful to share.

• Like 1

The like button. If there is a post I like and want to save for later, I like it and then I can find it in my profile under likes --> given. Saves me tons of time trying to search (as going through google sometimes sets off my virus/malware protector for some strange reason when it doesn't if I go through likes/the general website). If there was lots, I'd save it to me favourites. 

• Like 1