Menu

Cheap/basic prepaid cellphone options?

MomtoCandJ

We need to get a cheap, basic prepaid cell phone to keep at home for sitters so they can call us for emergencies. What should we get? We don't need to have a lot of minutes (I'm thinking worse case, 60 minutes a month and that's if they call me twice and talk to me all the way back home).

Do tracfones also text?  What network do they use?

My understanding is that Tracfone buys space on various networks.  I believe mine uses AT&T's network around here--

I can text- I got a "triple minute" deal on my phone (I think all or most of the smartphones have that).  Meaning, if I buy 400 "minutes", I get 400 units of data, 400 texts, and 400 minutes of phone time.  The cheapest deals are on buying all three types.  I can also add "just data" or "just text" minutes if i need to.

I added the app "Google voice" on my Tracfone and I use that for texting when I can--when I have access to wifi, it texts for free, and it uses just a tiny bit of data to send texts if I don't have wifi--so that saves my texting minutes.  I can also use Google Voice to make calls over wifi for free if I have internet access--quality may vary :)

Problem is, Google Voice assigned me a weird city for my phone number, so I only use Google Voice to call or text people who are aware of my cheapskate workaround and know who is calling, or for calls to businesses.  To casual friends, I tend to use my "real" cell phone number and phone minutes so they'll recognize it.

I am NOT tech savvy; it's amazing that I got Google Voice set up, so please don't think I can answer a lot of questions about it :)  It wasn't terribly hard though--

I have a ZTE phone from Tracfone--it was on sale for $29.99 when I bought it about a year ago--

B

Does tracfone also run on Verizon towers? Verizon is all that really works in my area.

Verizon towers are all that we have, too.  TracFone works great here.  In fact, we have regular Verizon-plan phones and a couple of TracFones, and TracFones have always gotten just as good a connection as the Verizon ones.  My kids have traveled a lot in the U.S. and they have always worked everywhere.  They've even worked just north of the border into Canada where they weren't supposed to work.

Yes to Tracfone.  They run on a variety of networks. I live in a very rural area and the only thing that really works out here is Verizon. My old Tracfones did not really pick up out there. With a little research I learned how to identity the Tracfone models that are made to run on Verizon networks. They have a certain letter in the phone model #.  So maybe you can google that info.

Our current Tracfones are smartphones and they work great out here where we live. I made sure they run on Verizon before I bought them. They came from QVC.

We need to get a cheap, basic prepaid cell phone to keep at home for sitters so they can call us for emergencies. What should we get? We don't need to have a lot of minutes (I'm thinking worse case, 60 minutes a month and that's if they call me twice and talk to me all the way back home).

I have a tracfone that cost $9.99 that I bought when my 5 year old $19.99 tracfone stopped working.

I can text and make calls. I only buy minutes for calls, not data. A text uses .3 of a minute. You can buy 60 minutes for $20. Depending on the phone, the minutes either double or triple and last 90 days. So it is basically less than $7 a month for 120 minutes.

HTH