Menu

Which Cursive for 2nd grade?

nena3927

My ds is wanting to learn cursive this year in 2nd grade. We use HOD and they recommend Cheerful Cursive, but I really do not care for the type of cursive they teach. It doesn't seem as "pretty" I guess as some I've seen. What are some suggestions for cursive programs that you've used with success? I would prefer something that is step by step and that will have them write one or two letters together before starting longer words. All programs may do this, but this will be my first time teaching cursive so I really don't how most programs teach. Thanks! 

Last year we used the Rhythm of Handwriting with my second grader. She has beautiful cursive now. We had a big issues previously with Getty Dubay, so this was encouraging!

You may not like the look, many don't, but Handwriting without tears does a great job of teaching step by step cursive with no frills. I didn't like the look at first, but after using it w/ my DD (age 7) b/c she really wanted to learn cursive, I like it a lot. It is so easy for her to pick up.

If I were to buy one it would be Classically Cursive from VP. New American Cursive from MP would be second. As it is my rising second grader will get my personal cursive that was just written across the top of her tablet paper on the fly.

You may not like the look, many don't, but Handwriting without tears does a great job of teaching step by step cursive with no frills. I didn't like the look at first, but after using it w/ my DD (age 7) b/c she really wanted to learn cursive, I like it a lot. It is so easy for her to pick up.

My second grader used HWOT "Cursive Success" with good cursive success! 

This past year, we used a super simple book I found on Amazon called Teaching Cursive! This Method Works by Linda Corson. It has been great! It's nothing fancy - just a little spiral-bound book with simple lessons inside. (You need to supply your own three-lined handwriting paper to actually do the lessons.) But the author groups the letters together in a way that makes perfect sense and the lessons are easy, short, and simple. It has worked like a charm and my daughter now writes with beautiful cursive. Highly recommend!

I like the way Peterson Directed breaks cursive down into four basic strokes.  I read their free review copies they have here and then taught my kids on my own, since money was too tight to buy the program when I started a few years ago.  But I got enough of an idea of how to teach cursive from looking at Peterson Directed's samples that I was able to do it with no problem.  I like it because it is very similar to how my mom and Grandmother wrote cursive.