Menu

What photoedit software photoshop? or Photoshop Elements? or CS?

Princess5

I have lightroom 5 right now and I am learning it and like it, but I think i will need some other software in future to do fine edits.  I know adobe is going the Creative Cloud way and I cannot/dont want to pay a subscription every month to use software.  So before they stop selling stand alone software I want to get and have it.  Which one you recommend?

Photoshop? or Photoshop elements? or Creative Studio? or anything else?  

It really depends on exactly what you plan to do with your photos. Elements is fine for anything a person would do for his personal photo collection. I also have the $900 version of Photoshop with all the bells and whistles. I have needed it only once to do something the Elements would not have been able to handle.

I use the digital editing software for digital scrapbooking, digital art, and storybook making. The software I use most often is an old version of Microsoft Digital Image. Microsoft discontinued it years ago. But, it is by far faster to use than any Photoshop and does 99.9% of what I need to do. I have an older computer that I still load my photos on just so I can use this old software. The only time I use Photoshop is when I need text to wrap around a curvy image inside a photo, or when I need to straighten tall buildings.

DD15 uses the big Photoshop to create her backdrops for her video streaming channel. She needs to set some exact measurements within images that could not be done with Elements.

Like you, there is no way I would pay a monthly subscription for Photoshop.

• Like 1

DH used Photoshop for years and we still have it, but he found Elements almost easier to use for everything he likes to do.  He rarely uses Photoshop anymore.

(DD is interested in design though, so we also recently bought the whole CS set on CD before they go to subscription only...  I think that's the worst move ever.)

Which ones do you like? 

There is on called Pixelmator. Pretty good. Fairly simple to use. Inexpensive. Lacks a few features (including CMYK support) that professionals might need, but a good choice for people who need powerful image editing software, but not quite the full depth of Photoshop.

There is a new one, Affinity Photo. I believe it is still in "beta," and is (for the moment) free. I believe it will be about $50 when it goes to a full release. Affinity Photo is deep. It is the first program I've seen that is not trying to be "almost as good as Photoshop," but better. The code is sleek, and fast. The features are deep. It is more complex as one would expect from a "professionally oriented" program. I really like Affinity Photo so far. I've used Photoshop for decades. I'm done with Adobe, and this program is the first serious rival I've seen that could challenge Photoshop in the professional arena. 

So for high-end amateur use Pixelmator, for pro use Affinity Photo. Both are strong programs.

I also have Photoshop, but won't be giving Adobe another dime. I feel burned by the Creative Cloud scheme.

Bill

• Like 3

DH used Photoshop for years and we still have it, but he found Elements almost easier to use for everything he likes to do. He rarely uses Photoshop anymore.

(DD is interested in design though, so we also recently bought the whole CS set on CD before they go to subscription only... I think that's the worst move ever.)

Can you tell what CS you got for your Dd? Also whyou had to get dhole set, wouldn't the latest version of CS be enough?

Can you tell what CS you got for your Dd? Also whyou had to get dhole set, wouldn't the latest version of CS be enough?

The latest is CS 6. Do beware Adobe will not be supporting it. When there is a OS upgrade for either Mac or Windows then Adobe CS6 (which is going to cost you quite a bit) could very well stop working if you do the OS upgrade.

So you might be stuck with either running a legacy OS on an old computer into the future, or know the life-span of an expensive program might be very short.

Adobe will screw you on this. Guaranteed.

Bill

• Like 1

The latest is CS 6. Do beware Adobe will not be supporting it. 

You gotta be kidding me.... How can they not support the most recent edition?

This whole cloud only thing is ridiculous.  I wonder if it will backfire on them.  Professionals may go for it if their company pays for it, but they are going to lose the serious amateur entirely - and probably much of the independent contractor crowd.

Even Microsoft offers cloud or the traditional option.

You gotta be kidding me.... How can they not support the most recent edition?

You've obviously never dealt with Adobe  :cursing:

CS6 is is not the most recent edition, just the last that was available for purchase (as opposed to "rent" as with Common Cloud).

Trust me, Adobe says they will not support CS6, and with their track record in recent years once better believe it (if nothing else they say). This company has lost the plot.

This whole cloud only thing is ridiculous.  I wonder if it will backfire on them.  Professionals may go for it if their company pays for it, but they are going to lose the serious amateur entirely - and probably much of the independent contractor crowd.

Even Microsoft offers cloud or the traditional option.

It might make sense for some people who never invested in full versions. but they screwed their established client base. I paid for Photoshop 3. 5. 7, CS1, CS3, and CS6. 

But they will never get another dime from me if I have an alternative. I'm excited about Affinity Photo, and Pixelmator is pretty god for most things.

I know so many people who—like me—are done with Adobe.

Bill

Honestly (as someone who is now forcing herself to actually regularly use Photoshop as the next step in her photographic path), Picasa is free and really does quite a lot.

It sounds like that's less than what you need, but it's awfully convenient for down and dirty edits, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

• 1 month later...

PSA: Affinity Photo just went full release.

Mac users who need professional photo editing software, but don't want to pay the software rental for Photoshop/Creative Cloud, should check out this new alternative. It is very robust. The introductory price is $40, and will go up to $50 soon. Either way that is a bargain compared to Photoshop.

Non-power users might prefer Pixelmator. But for people who need professional grade software Affinity Photo is pretty compelling.

Bill