Menu

Shutters colors

Night Elf

Some time ago we took the shutters off our house. Now, I'd like to put some back. The old ones matched the color of the front door. My door is a sort of green color. I don't think I can match shutters now. I'm wondering if it all got painted at the same time. So, I have white siding and a blackish/brown roof. What color shutters would you get? Would black to match the roof be too harsh? I looked online and found one person saying the shutters should be a different color than the rest of the house trim so the front door would pop. Another said the shutters color should match the front door. I guess we can paint our front door, but it's not something I'm really interested in doing.

Have you checked Pinterest and Houzz? You can find lots of pictures and see what appeals to you (and matches the style of your house). You might find a look that makes painting the door worth it to you. I wouldn't match the roof per se, but if the roof is a warm brownish color, you wouldn't want "cool" colored shutters.

I don't think shutters have to match the door. I figure shutters are like earrings while the door is a nice necklace. :) Matchy matchy doesn't always work.

What if you go several shades darker than the door? Same green tones, just darker. And, while I adore color, black shutters are classic.

• Like 2

You don't see houses with shutters much here in Oregon. When we took a trip to VA, I loved the shutters. I think they were usually black. I loved the look of the pale yellow houses with black shutters (can't remember front door colors!).

It's your house, you can paint it however you like.  I'm personally into white house/grey shutters/aqua door right now. In our climate, everything needs a repaint every 5-7 years, and trim takes a beating first.... I think repainting door + trim is a great idea!

Pinterest has a ton of pictures up---you can easily see dozens of different styles.

• Like 1

Driving around and looking specfically at those colors on shutters and doors is the best way. You'll hopefully see some combinations you like and also see what "fits" in your area. I think particular value can be had by checking out slightly nicer neighborhoods than your own.

That's how we picked our colors. Dark gray roof, white siding, gray/blue shutters and pink front door. It sounds weird but totally works. I'm not a "pink" person but I love it. It has punch but it isn't red like so many others.

I love shutters against a white house.  I think you can have different colors, or sometimes I see different shades of the same color work well.  So if your door is a shade of green, you could have your shutters in a darker green.

• Like 1

The house next door to us doesn't have shutters and looks nice. So we took ours off since they were so bad and threw them away. I worry that our house looks incomplete without the shutters, but I had the house pressure washed today and all the dirt is gone so you can't tell where the shutters were anymore. I didn't realize that would happen when the house was cleaned. I do know of a neighborhood with the houses that aren't cookie cutter types that may give me some ideas though. We're just finally doing some outside work to the house. My oldest dd asked if we were thinking of moving since we were doing this. I told her we just wanted it to look nice.