Menu

Dr. Hive: Swollen underarms?

trulycrabby

My left underarm has been swollen/enlarged for about two months that I have noticed (who really looks at their underarms?). It's more of a generalized swelling than a hard lump, although I might feel a large lymph node or two in there.

My right underarm is also a bit enlarged, but not nearly as large as the left.

I don't have fevers, night sweats, or weight loss. I had a mammogram eight months ago, and everything looked fine. There is no itching or rash, although I have switched to a hypoallergenic deodorant.

Has anyone experienced this and it turned out to be something like hormones?

I am not particularly worried about it, but I will go to the doctor. I have an appointment this Thursday. I know that if it is the lymph nodes, it is much more likely to be infection than anything else.

I am more curious to know if anyone else has had this happen, and what caused it?

Thanks, it's nice to know it's not uncommon.

I drink two cups of coffee per day, and frankly would frefer to blow up like a pufferfish than give them up. Not saying I won't do it, just that I won't like it. :o

I can get achy breasts, but take evening primrose oil daily, so they don't get sore. Could definitely be hormones.

I do hot yoga and walk about 20-25 miles per week, so it could be exertion.

The lymph nodes could be enlarged, but I will let the doctor make that call. They definitely feel swollen, because I can feel it when my arms are at my sides. Not painful, just awareness that there's something there.

Thanks for all your help! :)

• Like 1

My daughter had a cyst once under her arm.  It was easy to take care of.  She also perspires a lot and produces a lot of ear wax.  For some reason, all of those things seem related.

A couple people in my family (husband and another daughter) get swollen lymph nodes so easily, and they'll remain swollen for months.

• Like 2

For whatever reason, I'm prone to cat-scratch fever. We still have cats, but I don't do a lot with them (the girls look after them). I've had it twice, severely, and my lymph nodes under my arms were swollen, one more than the other. The first time I developed it, I was extremely ill. I lost about thirty pounds and they finally had to remove the lymph nodes in my right armpit and clean it out (some had ruptured). Do you have cats?

For whatever reason, I'm prone to cat-scratch fever. We still have cats, but I don't do a lot with them (the girls look after them). I've had it twice, severely, and my lymph nodes under my arms were swollen, one more than the other. The first time I developed it, I was extremely ill. I lost about thirty pounds and they finally had to remove the lymph nodes in my right armpit and clean it out (some had ruptured). Do you have cats?

No cats.

• 5 months later...

My left underarm has been swollen/enlarged for about two months that I have noticed (who really looks at their underarms?). It's more of a generalized swelling than a hard lump, although I might feel a large lymph node or two in there.

My right underarm is also a bit enlarged, but not nearly as large as the left.

I don't have fevers, night sweats, or weight loss. I had a mammogram eight months ago, and everything looked fine. There is no itching or rash, although I have switched to a hypoallergenic deodorant.

Has anyone experienced this and it turned out to be something like hormones?

I am not particularly worried about it, but I will go to the doctor. I have an appointment this Thursday. I know that if it is the lymph nodes, it is much more likely to be infection than anything else.

I am more curious to know if anyone else has had this happen, and what caused it?

Just curious to know if you ever got an answer to what was going on or if you found a solution to fixing it... It's more helpful (for me) to glean from others when there's a conclusion.  ;)