Menu

How much food should I buy for 60ish people?

Harriet Vane

We are having a front lawn graduation on Saturday. I am quietly freaking out about this. Please help me double check amounts of food to buy.

We expect 60ish people. Maybe 65?

Food:

Chicken--ordered 150 baked pieces from deli

Jambalaya--Made 4 huge stock pots. Is that enough? How many bags chips? How many bags shredded cheese?

Not sure what amounts to make of:

Fruit salad

Veggies with dip

Pasta salad

How many 2-liters of soda should I buy?

I think we'll be set with dessert. My freezer is full of cookies, and I was planning to bake 2-3 sheet cakes tomorrow.

Any advice on how much to plan for the side dishes would be greatly appreciated. Any advice in general, really.

And prayer. Kinda hyperventilating about this huuuuuuuge event.

:grouphug:

I found this for you.  Maybe this will help to get you started.   http://www.planninghelper.com/spv-245.aspx

(I like to google when I can't sleep.)

I looked at it briefly.  You might want to increase the beverage totals if your weather is hot.

ETA:  http://www.chef-menus.com/food-quantity-chart.html

Here's another chart.

You'll be fine.  Have a great party!

• Like 2

How long will people be hanging out? That varies things quite a bit. I'm having a similarly sized grad party Saturday, but it is 5PM -- late, with many teens staying overnight. So, I will have WAY too much food, as usual. I'd just buy twice as much soda as you think you need, but buy stuff your family likes, so leftovers will be used at some later date. Same with chips. I buy tons. Way too much. Same with everything, lol. I am not a good person to ask. I usually buy at least twice as much as anyone could possibly consume. I am pretty good with smaller (10-12 people) gatherings, but anything much bigger and I am a mess!!

Hang in there!!!!!

• Like 2

How long will people be hanging out? That varies things quite a bit. I'm having a similarly sized grad party Saturday, but it is 5PM -- late, with many teens staying overnight. So, I will have WAY too much food, as usual. I'd just buy twice as much soda as you think you need, but buy stuff your family likes, so leftovers will be used at some later date. Same with chips. I buy tons. Way too much. Same with everything, lol. I am not a good person to ask. I usually buy at least twice as much as anyone could possibly consume. I am pretty good with smaller (10-12 people) gatherings, but anything much bigger and I am a mess!!

Hang in there!!!!!

Ceremony is at 3ish and should last an hour. (Really I expect to start closer to 3:30.) We'll put the food out afterward.

I have no idea how long folks will stay. We have six staying with us, and I expect lots of teenagers will hang around a fairly long time.

Definitely hyperventilating here.

I think you will have plenty.  Just keep the chip bowls full and the teens will be happy ;-)

I second buying a lot of what your own family would eat as leftovers, or that freezes well if unused.

I'd maybe have a crockpot of flavorful baked beans, or a huge tray of mac and cheese, too.

• Like 1

You are good on the meat and jambalaya.  

2 liters, I would have one for every 5 people, and a case or two of bottled water.

Don't forget ice :)  (I always forget ice)

4-5 bags of cheese

chips: 6 or more bags.  Just buy flavors your family likes and don't set them all out at once.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Jambalaya--Made 4 huge stock pots. Is that enough? How many bags chips? How many bags shredded cheese?

Curious digression: Are the chips and shredded cheese somehow related to the jambalaya, or did it just format that way? What is the shredded cheese for?? 

I would get more than the usually recommended amount of soda, because teenagers can drink an insane amount. 

The only thing that I have to offer by way of advice is to be sure and take precautions against food poisoning if its going to be outdoors or any where warm for more than an hour or so.

When I was a boy I had a nightmare experience at a family event where the food was prepared that morning  and tasted fine when it was eaten that same evening. About 18 people got super bad food poisoning and there was much bodily fluids expelled. It was horrific to experience, even worse to behold and I have nightmares about it to this day.

Here's how I stop panicking---

Remember-- these are people you like that like you back!! 

They will be forgiving!

Relax!!

Picture the worst that can happen and have a back up plan!!

You run out of food??

order pizza

You run out of soda?-----

make tea or water or have lemonade mix at the ready

You run out of dessert?

That is tragic--so plan well here!-- but really dessert is just an extra!

• Like 1

We often cook for 60-80 people after church, so I am familiar with amounts. Sounds like you have plenty of meat and jambalaya :)  If people are staying only for 1 hour, then you don't need as much.

I would suggest these amounts for sides if you want to have more than enough:

Fruit salad - If you are going to make it yourself, then 60 total pieces of fruit. If you are using bags of frozen fruit or cans, then about 4 people per pound.  10 bananas, 10 apples, 10 kiwi, 3-4 cans mandarin oranges, 3 lb strawberries and 3 lb bags of frozen blueberries

Veggies with dip - 2 bunches celery, 4 lbs carrorts, 2 heads broccoli, maybe one other but that might be enough (unless you are serving a lot of health- conscious people :)

Pasta salad - I agree to omit mayo. Here's a good dressing: 1 part lemon juice, 3 parts oil, salt & pepper & garlic powder to taste, with any other herbs you like. 6 pounds of dry pasta. If I were you, I'd cook it all (bc cooked pasta freezes fine) but only make up half of it into salad. Also, mix up dressing and chop veggies for the second half but don't mix it all together. Then, you need the rest you can mix it right before replenishing the serving bowl at your party.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1