Menu

I need some science curriculum advice, please:

JMDRAD

I have three girls going into 1st, 4th, and 7th grades this year.  Science has been one of those things that we've just struggled to get done.  Now that my oldest will be in 7th grade, I'm getting worried about preparing her for high school science.  She really doesn't have a very strong foundation in any science.  This past year was probably our best year but we only managed to complete about 2/3 of the material.  We did earth science and weather.  The year before we spent the entire year dissecting animals and doing lap books on the animals we dissected.  

My 7th grader really wants to do chemistry this year (she likes experimenting with powders and fluids LOL).  I'm considering doing NEOE Chemistry 3 with her.  I don't think my two younger ones would do very well with Chem 3 though.  They really want to do Botany (which we've never done).  I've looked at Sassafras Kids for them.

Am I crazy for doing two totally different sciences this year?  

Do I need to be worried about my 7th grader's lack of science?  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

The last two years you described sounded good to me. *shrug* Fwiw, high school science assumes nothing of your foundation and starts at the beginning of the field. :001_smile:

I would absolutely split the 7th grader away from the siblings no matter what topics you move to next year. She'll be able to run a large part of it herself and you can focus your direct teaching on the younger ones.

• Like 1

Have you looked into Nancy Larson science or Rainbow Science? We're currently using Nancy Larson Science 3 as a supplement to MP's core and thus far I've been really impressed with the amount it covers, as well as the scripted nature of it (I don't have a science background and find this very comforting). Each lesson typically takes only 20 minutes or so. There's a level 4 available as well if 3 seems too low-level for your daughter. 

I've seen many positive reviews of Rainbow Science as well (although I haven't personally seen it), and it's specifically targeted toward jr. high age kids. Their website seems like it has a lot of sample materials and such. 

• Like 1

The last two years you described sounded good to me. *shrug* Fwiw, high school science assumes nothing of your foundation and starts at the beginning of the field. :001_smile:

I would absolutely split the 7th grader away from the siblings no matter what topics you move to next year. She'll be able to run a large part of it herself and you can focus your direct teaching on the younger ones.

That's what my "gut" was telling me.  I've tried to keep them all together but science is getting tricky.

Have you looked into Nancy Larson science or Rainbow Science? We're currently using Nancy Larson Science 3 as a supplement to MP's core and thus far I've been really impressed with the amount it covers, as well as the scripted nature of it (I don't have a science background and find this very comforting). Each lesson typically takes only 20 minutes or so. There's a level 4 available as well if 3 seems too low-level for your daughter. 

I've seen many positive reviews of Rainbow Science as well (although I haven't personally seen it), and it's specifically targeted toward jr. high age kids. Their website seems like it has a lot of sample materials and such. 

Thanks for the recommendations.  I've never heard of either science program.  I'll definitely check them out.

I think every 6th grade parent should have to read the introduction to Science Matters.

https://books.google.com/books?id=KuaZgBcnmAMC&dq=science+matters&source=gbs_navlinks_s

I'm not saying all parents should agree with it, or should choose to prioritize scientific literacy, but I just wish they all knew they had that option.

I'll take a look at that book.  Thank you!

• Like 1

i would not worry too much about a science curriculum in terms of being ready for high school - middle school science is IME almost unrelated.  I would be concerned with the math to be ready for high school science.

Other than that, I would be looking mainly to create real scientific literacy, so reading a lot about science would be my main approach for a 7th grader.  Knowing about science as a discipline is almost never covered in high school, or often even in an undergraduate degree, so that would be a big concern for me. 

I am not sure chemistry is a great choice as a project for 7th grade, but why not do practical botany and give your seventh grader some great books about chemistry that would be beyond the younger kids?

• Like 1

Ellen J. McHenry has both a Botany and a Chem that we've used and loved. It's great for varied ages because it has each chapter and then sub levels (chapter 2.1, 2.2, etc) that take the topic deeper for your older one. You could also continue with Carbon Chem after the Elements with the older for a deeper study of Chem as well. 

• Like 3

Ellen J. McHenry has both a Botany and a Chem that we've used and loved. It's great for varied ages because it has each chapter and then sub levels (chapter 2.1, 2.2, etc) that take the topic deeper for your older one. You could also continue with Carbon Chem after the Elements with the older for a deeper study of Chem as well.

She is also taking part in the bundle sale again this year so you might get them cheap next week.

• Like 1

Would you need to work with her a lot, or could you let her read it on her own? (My kids started doing science independently in 5th and 7th grades--and probably got to it more often that way than when I was teaching it!). Anyway...to me it's reasonable to do two sciences, one with your younger ones, and a different one with your 7th grader. 

For those interested in the bundle sale - I did a google search and found Ellen McHenry's FB page, She has a post about this sale from last year. No mention about her participating this year.

Build Your Bundle. This link will lead you to a page about the sale and you can sign up for a coupon code to use in the sale.

I saw this but I'm very confused about how the digital downloads work! Do most of you use digital downloads for McHenry's books or do you order the hard copy versions?

i would not worry too much about a science curriculum in terms of being ready for high school - middle school science is IME almost unrelated.  I would be concerned with the math to be ready for high school science.

Why would you say that middle school science is unrelated to high school science? I don't know your background or the ages of your kids, but it is MY experience that middle school science is absolutely related to high school science. "Middle school science" covers life science, earth/space, and physical science in 3 years. The whole point is to build a foundation so that when the kids get to high school they are prepared to take the topics further.

For example, we used Holt Science & Technology Life Science this year for 7th grade. We covered topics such as cells (including the function of the organelles), genetics/heredity and the process of DNA replication, types of plants, photosynthesis and cellular respiration, adaptation and evolution, ecosystems, environmental change, human body systems, and health. Having a daughter who took biology in high school (and who now takes biology in college), these topics in life science are also covered in biology. HST goes into pretty good depth too.

Why would you say that middle school science is unrelated to high school science? I don't know your background or the ages of your kids, but it is MY experience that middle school science is absolutely related to high school science. "Middle school science" covers life science, earth/space, and physical science in 3 years. The whole point is to build a foundation so that when the kids get to high school they are prepared to take the topics further.

For example, we used Holt Science & Technology Life Science this year for 7th grade. We covered topics such as cells (including the function of the organelles), genetics/heredity and the process of DNA replication, types of plants, photosynthesis and cellular respiration, adaptation and evolution, ecosystems, environmental change, human body systems, and health. Having a daughter who took biology in high school (and who now takes biology in college), these topics in life science are also covered in biology. HST goes into pretty good depth too.

I am not Bluegoat, but I do agree with her. It isn't that they are unrelated, but that they are not pre-reqs. A student with no background can still take those courses and do well.

• Like 3