Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 20

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

So, it was as though I forgot there was a mindful spending challenge when I stepped into Home Goods Friday, to see if they had anything I might want to use in setting up DD's graduation party. They did. ;)I had already decided to make the party a nautical theme (because the college she is going to attend is located on the water). Well, of course, they are packed to the ceiling with nautical stuff. So I bought some things: a sailboat to go on the food table, candy dishes, tablecloths with anchors on them, citronella candles in an aqua glass. Yeah, I kinda binged.

Senior prom was last night. I hosted five couples for dinner. It poured torrential rain at just the moment I had intended to take pictures, so that was a bummer, but I did get some decent photos indoors and on the porch after the main downpour subsided. Dd's dress was amazing; the seamstress did a great job of hemming it. Not super inexpensive, but not the type of dress I felt competent to hem myself. Her hair was more expensive than I desired; she was not able to get an appointment at the cosmetology school this time. She painted her own nails. Her purse and shoes from Junior Prom were well-suited to this dress, too, so that was good.

I did have to purchase my own grad regalia for my graduation from community college, although that was not expensive. $25 for the garb and $16 for the honor society cord. I suppose the most frugal option would have been to skip the ceremony, but I do feel I have earned it and honestly, I want to walk the stage.

How is everyone else doing this week?

• Like 3

You have to pay for the honor grad cord? Huh.  That's one I've never heard. 

We failed this week. Went to a huge antique show (500+ dealers) and spent some money.  Three items, all cheaper than we have seen at other shows or on Ebay, so I'm confident we didn't overpay.  We also hit Kohl's yesterday to start buying the stuff ds needs for school.  He needed a ton of things, all very specific items to wear when he's not wearing his army issued uniforms. I've never spent enough at Kohl's to earn more than $10 in Kohl's cash. Until yesterday.  Yikes.  

Bought paint for our guest bedroom, and a new shower curtain for the upstairs bath that we've just painted. 

So I said we failed, but we really didn't. Everything was well thought out, we shopped sales and carefully chose things we needed. We didn't impulse shop or add in things just because they were on sale. So I'm ok with what we spent, it's just a lot at once!

• Like 2

I already posted on last week's thread that I pushed the button on my $200 Amazon order.  The goodies are trickling in.  That ought to keep me happy for a while.  :)

Wednesday, they had soccer picture day.  I hadn't planned on buying any, and I figured I could always order them on the internet if the photos came in really good.  But at the photo shoot, they made me fill out this form without any advance warning, and they said they needed cash right now.  (Later it turned out that wasn't exactly true.)  So I paid $10 for each kid to have the most basic photo.  $10 is ridiculous.  But more frugal than what most of the parents were paying.  :p  In the privacy of my own home, I would probably have passed, like I do with school photos.  I take better photos on my iphone anyway.

My mom's birthday is today.  I bought her a little brownie cake, a flowering potted plant, and a couple of gift cards.  I also bought my kids each a book to read on the drive to her house.  (Did I mention they are spoiled?)

I signed up for the scout campout.  Only $15 per person, not bad for 3 days.  Of course there will probably be other expenses.  They said they want to earn their fishing badge on the campout, but they have never been fishing.  I will need to buy fishing gear.  Oh well, a problem for another day.  :p  Well, you know what they say about teaching a kid to fish ....

A relative has asked for $$$ to cover another emergency.  So that is another thing I will be paying this week.

My kids are complaining about their ballet and tap shoes not fitting so well.  Glad I decided to drop that activity before I got stuck buying more shoes.

• Like 2

You have to pay for the honor grad cord? Huh. That's one I've never heard.

We failed this week. Went to a huge antique show (500+ dealers) and spent some money. Three items, all cheaper than we have seen at other shows or on Ebay, so I'm confident we didn't overpay. We also hit Kohl's yesterday to start buying the stuff ds needs for school. He needed a ton of things, all very specific items to wear when he's not wearing his army issued uniforms. I've never spent enough at Kohl's to earn more than $10 in Kohl's cash. Until yesterday. Yikes.

Bought paint for our guest bedroom, and a new shower curtain for the upstairs bath that we've just painted.

So I said we failed, but we really didn't. Everything was well thought out, we shopped sales and carefully chose things we needed. We didn't impulse shop or add in things just because they were on sale. So I'm ok with what we spent, it's just a lot at once!

Yeah, I don't think that is a failure so much, because you were "mindful." (I can't really say the same for myself, because I literally walked through Home Goods saying, "Oh! Look! This would be perfect, too!" Although I did put back the pitcher and drinking glass set that had sea creatures on it. I already have a pitcher, have no real need for the glasses, and it was plastic, where I don't really want plastic.)

For clarification, the honor chord I bought is for the Honor Society and has Phi Theta Kappa lettering on it. There is also an honor chord for GPA that I can borrow for free, included in the regalia purchase, but I didn't know that when I ordered the PTK chord. So, I will have two honor chords hanging around my neck, looking all prestigious and everthang. ;)

• Like 2

Wednesday, they had soccer picture day. I hadn't planned on buying any, and I figured I could always order them on the internet if the photos came in really good. But at the photo shoot, they made me fill out this form without any advance warning, and they said they needed cash right now. (Later it turned out that wasn't exactly true.) So I paid $10 for each kid to have the most basic photo. $10 is ridiculous. But more frugal than what most of the parents were paying. :p In the privacy of my own home, I would probably have passed, like I do with school photos. I take better photos on my iphone anyway.

I keep waiting...and waiting...for coaches, parents, schools, etc., to start widely refusing the mass photos, as almost everyone can take a reasonably good photo nowadays. I did have a soccer coach for a couple seasons who asked all the parents if they cared about doing the official photos or if we could just organize up once before a game and do some cheap photos. That coach had ten children, so I reckon he was seriously disenchanted with all the pay-for-photo options. :D I always choose a cheap item that is listed as "a la carte." The order form is set up in such a way that people might not realize you can do this. That really bugs me.

Even for Dd's senior portrait, I bought the smallest amount - four 5"x7" pics, so each grandma can have one, i have one and she can keep one for herself. But honestly I don't even like that picture. I don't like posed formal photos to begin with. I think the shoot I did with her in the fall are a thousand times more appealing, because they look like HER, they way she actually looks, with her long hair free and wavy. She doesn't sit around in a velvet drape with her hair smoothed into a perfect helmet. ;)

Congratulations to Quill and Quill's daughter!  Quill, I will applaud you again for hosting the prom couples for dinner.  Great idea.

My husband was out of town for business this week and I spent a couple of days in Raleigh where I attended a meeting for an organization with which I am involved.  Being busy cuts the grocery bill! 

There were a couple of impulse buys this weekend, the first being tickets to a local theater production. Glad we went.  Today I bought a ticket to the local garden club tour, a good cause since the proceeds are used throughout the community and I have a number of friends who are involved in the group. And of course I needed to grab something from their bake sale table.

First ocean swim today!  We biked to the beach for our dip before cooking some fish that a friend gave to us.  Such bounty!

• Like 2

Hmmm I started school Monday so now have to pay for child care :( I bought dd2 a 3 piece outfit, 5 onsies and 2 pairs of pants all Carters brand for a total of $15.00, and 2 Lego sets one for each girl (dd2 got the duplos) for $11.00 everything else was a necessity (diapers, wipes, food....). Dh bought some parts for the lawn mower and paid for dd1's school field trip.

• Like 1

Hmmm I started school Monday so now have to pay for child care :( I bought dd2 a 3 piece outfit, 5 onsies and 2 pairs of pants all Carters brand for a total of $15.00, and 2 Lego sets one for each girl (dd2 got the duplos) for $11.00 everything else was a necessity (diapers, wipes, food....). Dh bought some parts for the lawn mower and paid for dd1's school field trip.

You got a lot of bang for your buck!

Yay for starting school!

We mindfully purchased a car on Friday.

:lol:

But with cash (well, check) :party:

And it's a convertible :D

We kept saving once the van was paid off (it was at 0% so there was no rush) seven years ago.

This is it, except a 2012 instead of a 2013 http://images.newcars.com/images/car-pictures/original/2013-Chrysler-200-Convertible-Touring-2dr-Convertible-Photo-1.pngIt's a hardtop convertible, which is what dh had wanted.

We are giving our old 2004 (2003?) Corolla to ds as a college graduation present. He is thrilled :)

• Like 4

You got a lot of bang for your buck!

Yay for starting school!

Heck yeah, the 3 piece out for alone is more than that regular price. I love Carters and am willing to spend extra on it, Carters clothes seem the fit my girls the best and the longest. dd2 is almost 16 months old and can still wear 9 months Carters :)
  • Like 2

We mindfully purchased a car on Friday.

:lol:

But with cash (well, check) :party:

And it's a convertible :D

We kept saving once the van was paid off (it was at 0% so there was no rush) seven years ago.

This is it, except a 2012 instead of a 2013 http://images.newcars.com/images/car-pictures/original/2013-Chrysler-200-Convertible-Touring-2dr-Convertible-Photo-1.pngIt's a hardtop convertible, which is what dh had wanted.

We are giving our old 2004 (2003?) Corolla to ds as a college graduation present. He is thrilled :)

Nice! And cars can be mindfully purchased! I would reeeeeally like to trade in our van on a Ford Fusion this year, but I don't think it is going to happen. DS15 will start driver's ed this summer, DD will be taking our old Taurus off to college and I don't want DS to learn in a new car. At least if he makes mistakes in a 2002 minivan, I won't go insane about it.

P.s. i rented a Chrysler 300 once while vacationing in CO. It was red. I really liked that car!

• Like 2

Just spent $35 to order my dad some special coffee and hand cream.  He deserves it.  I'm not sure if that's mindful or not.

Yes, it's very mindful. Did you order Toomer's coffee? I am trying to find someone who drinks Toomers to see if it's worth the extra expense.

• Like 1

Yes, it's very mindful. Did you order Toomer's coffee? I am trying to find someone who drinks Toomers to see if it's worth the extra expense.

Never heard of Toomers.

What I ordered for my dad is Mount Hagen organic instant coffee.  It's what I drink.  I leave a bottle of it at his house so I will always have coffee to drink while I drive home, but I encourage him to drink it too.  He held back for a long time, but finally started drinking it and liked it so much that it almost ran out.  :)  So I just ordered some on Amazon to be delivered to his house. 

The hand cream was to meet the free shipping minimum.  His hands can't take most skin creams, so I picked one that claims to be the most gentle organic hand cream available.  I hope it works.

• Like 2

Over the past week, we have had either a light bulb or a battery in a remote die on an almost daily basis. Today I went to a battery store to buy the weird little batteries for the remotes.  I had CFL bulbs on the shelf but need to replenish the supply. I guess LEDs are the way to go.  Anyone have any comments on LED bulbs?

• Like 2

Over the past week, we have had either a light bulb or a battery in a remote die on an almost daily basis. Today I went to a battery store to buy the weird little batteries for the remotes. I had CFL bulbs on the shelf but need to replenish the supply. I guess LEDs are the way to go. Anyone have any comments on LED bulbs?

I have not used them, I don't think. I need to replace an unusual light bulb right now. It goes in the headboard light on my bed. It's tubular and something like 60 watts.

• Like 1

Over the past week, we have had either a light bulb or a battery in a remote die on an almost daily basis. Today I went to a battery store to buy the weird little batteries for the remotes.  I had CFL bulbs on the shelf but need to replenish the supply. I guess LEDs are the way to go.  Anyone have any comments on LED bulbs?

It seems like the high initial cost of LED bulbs wouldn't be worth it but every study I've read shows otherwise. I live in Illinois and we have crazy high electric rates so LED is slowly replacing bulbs in fixtures we use often. For rooms we rarely use, I don't plan to change. 

I'm disappointed with the CFL life we've been seeing, and the warranty on them sucks because you have to mail the bulb back and they send a prorated check. In three or four months. Just annoying. 

• Like 1