Menu

New to homeschooling and need curriculm help

My daughter will be starting 9 th grade in August. The past two years we have homeschooled with our state's public virtual school. We have decided to do our own thing for 9th grade. Having never had to choose curriculm before I am lost. I am using our state's requirements as a guide. So far I have:

Math: Saxon Algebra 2 and Life of Fred Advanced Algebra

Language Arts: BraveWriter not sure what else

Science: Apologia Biology and Parisitology

History?

Spanish?

Electives?

What else do I need to add? I am so unfamiliar with curriculm available I don't know where to start.

She is involved in 4H raising animals,rides horses,public speaking,judging, and robotics, is involved with church youth group and does community service projects. She tested gifted in public school and has taken extra gifted classes through virtual school in literature and science. Any help would be appreciated.

There are so many choices it is overwhelming! 

I would choose the subjects you want to do first. American history? World history? Geography? etc.

Then, I would google the curriculum available for that subject. Don't forget to search Amazon. You can see the inside of lots of books there. Also, lots of homeschoolers use college textbooks for high school. Older editions of college text can be found for CHEAP on Amazon. 

Do not even TRY to attempt to do EVERYTHING in ANY curriculum or textbook!!!!!! Especially college texts! Sometimes a slow reading of the text and a discussion of the content are the best assignments.

Can you go to a homeschool convention this summer? THAT can be overwhelming too, but at least you can look at materials and talk to vendors.  I've talked to vendors, looked at the books,and decided against many a program!

You've got a good start! I would add a literature component to your Language Arts. Even just a book list of classics you could get from the library!  I've always used The Language of Literature textbooks.  CHEAP from Amazon.

Oh, yes, go to a homeschooling convention.  Sit in on some discussions.  Ask questions of vendors.  Really look at materials that are available.  It helps so much to physically look at something before purchasing.  Then if you find things that are interesting, ask questions here to get some in depth personal reviews.

Also, do a search of past threads for specific subjects and see if any responses fit the bill for your particular child and you.

Soooo many options out there.

What are the general requirements in your state for graduation from High School?  What are the long term goals your child/you have at this point?  Are there colleges/Universities that are of particular interest?  You might look at their requirements for admission.  What about areas of specific interest in History and Science?

Since your DD is into many different outside interests, I would definitely push those for some electives.  Like Robotics.  Has she taken any classes?  Could she?

What are your state credit requirements for graduation? That should guide your choices in core subjects. 

Our state requires these with some specific courses in each:

4 math 

4 science

4 English/Literature/Composition

3 Social Studies 

2 foreign language or alternatives for tech college and non-college students

1 Health/PE

electives to a total of 23 credits

Literature:

I would think you will need literature every year. 

9th: an introduction to literature and literary analysis

10th-12th: World, American, British Lit with composition

Some popular programs are Hewitt Homeschooling's Lightning Literature, Excellence in Literature (has honors options, too)

History:

Most states are going to require World and American history along with government and economics. The typical 4 year sequence includes geography.

Do you want secular or Christian history?

Do you want a literature based program that is spread out over 4 years studying history, geography, and literature together? Look at MFW, Biblioplan

Do you want single subjects covered in a year? Look at programs such as BJU, secular textbooks

Spanish:

I'm not much help on this subject. Dd tried Visual Link Spanish but didn't want a computer program. She tried AO Lifepacs, but I didn't have time to learn it along with her and couldn't grade it, so I found a local outside class. 

Electives:

Our state has so many requirements, there isn't much time for electives. Dd had some bible electives and fine arts because she does performance theater. 

For introductory literature, I really liked Windows to the World. I used the Jill Pike syllabus for it but skipped the part of the syllabus that does the video series for another program. It was a nice year that had solid literary analysis using short stories and novels. (If I did it again I would drop Jane Eyre for either a Jane Austen novel or maybe a shorter Dickens. Just not a Jane Eyre fan.)

I agree that for history you need to think about what you want to do on a big picture scale. Do you want to do a chronological study of history over several years? Do you want to do world history, American history, government and economics? Do you need to cover state history?

What level are you planning for? Will your kid want college level with Advanced Placement courses? Are there special areas of interest that you want to make room for?

Also, do a search of past threads for specific subjects and see if any responses fit the bill for your particular child and you.

Soooo many options out there.

What are the general requirements in your state for graduation from High School?  What are the long term goals your child/you have at this point?  Are there colleges/Universities that are of particular interest?  You might look at their requirements for admission. 

I think this is very good advice.  If you write down the long term goals you and your child have at this point, it might help people provide suggestions that will be useful for you and your child.  I'd even edit your original post to say: UPDATED and the date you updated your goals, and I'd include that update as a new post as well so that people who've already seen your thread will see it too.

It might also help if you write down what worked well and what didn't work well for your student in the past.  Since there are soooo many options out there, that might help us provide suggestions that are more likely to work for your family. 

When you're reading through past threads, you'll probably see some that especially resonate with you and your child.  A good place to start would be a "9th Grade Plans for the Fall" thread or "High School Plans for Next Year" as places to start.  Best wishes.  It will all work out great.  You've got some time before the fall.

I would write out a very tentative 4-year plan, to make sure you've got everything covered for high school.  Some courses don't need prerequisites, so you can take them wherever they fit, but others need certain courses before they are taken.

I would add in 1/2 credit of health & 1/2 credit of PE and a plan for literature - we used Lightning Literature with additional grammar and vocab.  Our elective for 9th grade was Art Appreciation/Art History.  

...and WELCOME!!!

• Like 2

You've already gotten all the advice I would give. I'll highlight my favorites:

*Make a rough 4 year plan

*Choose specific courses for this year

*Search the boards for recommendations for that course (it is much easier to find American History suggestions, that to sort through every history thread)

Then, when asking questions about curriculum, always include information about what you have done before, if you want Christian or secular, what level (typical high school, honors, AP), and as much about style or learning method as possible (i.e. video based, textbook, online class, classical model, open and go, etc)

Welcome! 

• Like 1