Menu

Colleges still accepting apps for this fall

Sorry if someone has already posted this.  In a quick look, I didn't see it.

Each year there are some colleges still accepting late applications for the fall - and often there are rather good schools on that list. (Juniata and Delaware Valley are two that are pretty popular - and good - around here.  I'm really surprised to see Juniata on the list.) Some also still have aid available.

If you're not happy with the results you have - or if you decided late that you (or your student) wanted to head somewhere this fall, here's the list:

http://www.nacacnet.org/research/research-data/College-Openings/Pages/College-Openings-Results.aspx

Best wishes!  (Beware that some of the schools are only accepting transfer students, not freshmen.)

• Like 1

It would drive me batty to not know where my kid is going at this point in the year, but we have a swim friend who just had to completely redirect a couple of weeks ago.  She was going to a school to swim, and the school just up and suspended their swim program for five years.  She found out through Twitter!  They didn't even bother to call the incoming class of recruits.  She stayed up all night calling and emailing coaches and submitting applications and, a week ago, landed somewhere that I hope will be a great fit for her.  She had already printed her graduation announcements saying she was going to X University and had to order stickers to place over that part.  This girl really shouldn't have committed to her original school anyway (the team took her out drinking on her official visit, and one of the things they were suspended for was underaged drinking), but still--poor kid.  And poor parents!

Creekland, I always love looking at this list!

I, too, am surprised about Juniata. Penn State and Wooster, too?!

Del Val is 5 minutes away from us. We walk around campus all of the time. Happy it made University status!

I think Penn St might be starting to reap the consequences of not giving much in aid.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

One should note that Wooster only has openings for transfer students, not freshmen...

I agree that overall, both names (and Juniata's) surprise me.

It can be tough for colleges to figure out yield some years - which can be an opportunity for others.

It would drive me batty to not know where my kid is going at this point in the year, but we have a swim friend who just had to completely redirect a couple of weeks ago.  She was going to a school to swim, and the school just up and suspended their swim program for five years.  She found out through Twitter!  They didn't even bother to call the incoming class of recruits.  She stayed up all night calling and emailing coaches and submitting applications and, a week ago, landed somewhere that I hope will be a great fit for her.  She had already printed her graduation announcements saying she was going to X University and had to order stickers to place over that part.  This girl really shouldn't have committed to her original school anyway (the team took her out drinking on her official visit, and one of the things they were suspended for was underaged drinking), but still--poor kid.  And poor parents!

Wow!  Glad it worked out, but WOW!  Hopefully her new school is a better school all around!

Is it unusual for a school to solicit transfers?  I am wondering whether this indicates poor student retention.

Sorry - missed this before!  I don't think it necessarily means it year in and year out.  One can always find stats on freshman retention for any particular school online if you want to compare.  It's very normal to lose some students throughout the years for varying reasons from health to finances to simply deciding that college (in general) isn't for the student.  Then there are those who transfer to other schools.

I am sorry I have no idea. We left Maryland 6 years ago and I have not discussed college finances with my friends there.

Gotcha - thanks!