Menu

CC cycle 1 science

nknapp5

I just bought Science in the Beginning to start this summer and use as we go through Cycle 1 next year. It won't line up all perfectly but there is a lot that will overlap and relate to our CC work and the experiments seem simple but engaging. I'm excited, I think it will be a great fit. I may change the order of when we cover certain topics to line up better with the memory work. You can see the table of contents here-- https://www.bereanbuilders.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=978-0-9890424-0-6

• Like 1

I am going to use Mr. Q for the life sciences (the Life Science text is free), and I got R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey for the earth science.

Since CC is a 3 year cycle, a lot of materials don't exactly line up....

• Like 1

We are using science in the beginning also. I don't think there is going to be a science curriculum that will line up. You can do living books from the library based on this http://www.halfahundredacrewood.com/2015/04/cc-cycle-1-reading-plan-for-lit-lovers.html. You can use this list http://www.halfahundredacrewood.com/2015/01/cc-cycle-at-a-glance-sheets.html to see what the subject is for each week. You can also purchase this http://www.solagratiamom.com/p/purchase_23.html with lesson plans for each subject covered each CC week. If you do living books you can do narration on notebooking sheets. 

• Like 1

I am going to use Mr. Q for the life sciences (the Life Science text is free), and I got R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey for the earth science.

Since CC is a 3 year cycle, a lot of materials don't exactly line up....

jniter, did you change up the order of lessons in Mr. Q or just go straight through?  I've had this printed for a few years but we've never used it.  I think it would be perfect for my son!  THanks for the suggestion!

Our very best year of elementary science was the year we did Foundations. We did not use a curriculum. We went to the library and got stacks of books about whatever the next four or five weeks of topics were in the CC science cards.

Four days a week, the kids and I spent an hour a day reading whatever caught our interest from those stacks of books. If all they wanted to do was read one little section of this book, another little section from another book, .. that was fine. If all they wanted to do was go through the book looking at the pictures or diagrams and reading the captions, that was fine.  Some of the books were easy readers. Some were more in depth children's books. Some were from the adult section but had great pictures with understandable captions. The fourth day, I'd pull out the whiteboard and we'd all compile what we'd learned from that week's reading. (Usually, I guided things a little since I also wanted to get them familiar with outlines as a sort of note-taking skill and I knew from my own reading what the general skeleton of information might be.)

We had the best year! It was exactly what I had hoped home schooling would be like! I really think at the elementary level, my kids got so much more out of that year than the years we tried to follow some curriculum. There was a big section on rocks. All my kids STILL love rocks!  Sadly, I can't say that about any other science we did.

• Like 3

jniter, did you change up the order of lessons in Mr. Q or just go straight through?  I've had this printed for a few years but we've never used it.  I think it would be perfect for my son!  THanks for the suggestion!

I've been picking and choosing what to use, doing a full unit at a time.

There are references to previous chapters, but I didn't find that it prevented us from learning the material. A quick explanation from me or a quick look up solved that problem. Mr. Q does write "Remember when we talked about x in Chapter y?" It didn't create a huge hang up.

Our County Review requires a health component, so I did Unit 9: Health this year. We didn't get to the anatomy, but it fit in with CC Cycle 3. I'll use some of the other life sciences units for CC Cycle 1 and supplement with library books. The reading really doesn't take very long.

Our very best year of elementary science was the year we did Foundations. We did not use a curriculum. We went to the library and got stacks of books about whatever the next four or five weeks of topics were in the CC science cards.

Four days a week, the kids and I spent an hour a day reading whatever caught our interest from those stacks of books. If all they wanted to do was read one little section of this book, another little section from another book, .. that was fine. If all they wanted to do was go through the book looking at the pictures or diagrams and reading the captions, that was fine.  Some of the books were easy readers. Some were more in depth children's books. Some were from the adult section but had great pictures with understandable captions. The fourth day, I'd pull out the whiteboard and we'd all compile what we'd learned from that week's reading. (Usually, I guided things a little since I also wanted to get them familiar with outlines as a sort of note-taking skill and I knew from my own reading what the general skeleton of information might be.)

We had the best year! It was exactly what I had hoped home schooling would be like! I really think at the elementary level, my kids got so much more out of that year than the years we tried to follow some curriculum. There was a big section on rocks. All my kids STILL love rocks!  Sadly, I can't say that about any other science we did.

This is essentially what I *wanted* to do this year, but my son really wanted to do experiments! I am mainly getting science curriculum for activities/experiments. From what I can tell, the actual TEXT of these curricula is lacking and could use library supplementation.