Menu

Decision time....can you help me make one? (on spelling)

sangtarah

So CBD has free shipping until tomorrow. And I'd like to use it. 

Can anyone convince me one way or another on a spelling program?? I'm so over-thinking it. I need different views. 

My top contenders are SWR and AAS. I really like LOE, too. Basically same methodology in different packages, right? 

My oldest student taught herself to read, but needs some spelling rules to help her in that area. The program I buy will be used with her first and mainly. But I want to consider that Little Sis and Little Bro will be needing spelling eventually, too, so that's part of my thought process too.

Pros I can see of SWR:  all-in-one package.  Well, two books, but pretty simple.  I borrowed someone's copy and read it from cover to cover, so I don't think I'll have a problem implementing it. Low cost that can be used until high school. 

Pros of AAS: grouping of words to match the rule just learned. Scripted lessons, so even tired my brain could still use it. Little Sis would really like the tiles. 

Pros of LOE: I really like the format, all the video helps/training. 

What is the number of words taught in each program? From what I can tell, SWR teaches 2000, LoE teaches 500(?), and I don't know about AAS. 

So, anyone want to help me out?  :o

P.S. We are using Sequential Spelling, but not seeing it stick. I'd really like a "here's the rule and here's how you follow it" method. 

• Like 1

We do AAS together with the Spelling Workout workbook and the Sequential Spelling App. It's my older kids weakest area so he needs lots of reinforcement. I like AAS for the scripts, the letter tiles, and when they stick to the rules they can write sentences even pretty quickly ~ but I don't think it teaches enough words, so the other curriculum helps with that. Spelling Workout takes hardly any time and the Sequential Spelling App is almost like a game to him. I also think AAS is overpriced.

For a natural with reading...I think Spalding/O-G might be overkill, tbh.  It is very teacher-intensive, and eats up the school day, especially when you have 3 little ones.  

Copywork.  Daily.

For actual spelling rules, I like Apples & Pears for those who can handle the pace. The way they teach the rules makes so much more sense than memorizing it from a flashcard and then guessing which word uses what rule.  For my dc who can't handle the A&P pace, I'm reformatting an old public domain spelling program that uses the Ayer's list like Spalding, but the daily lessons are much much much more age-appropriate.  (see my siggie)

• Like 1

What is the number of words taught in each program? From what I can tell, SWR teaches 2000, LoE teaches 500(?), and I don't know about AAS. 

AAS covers over 3000 words in Levels 1-7; it includes the modern Ayers list words which ranks words up to 12th grade, and the Dolch Sight Words, as well as other common words. HTH as you decide what will work best for you! 

I looked & looked but didn't get a CBD free shipping code, so if you want it used & haven't made up your mind by tonight, send it on over. I'll use it.  :lol:

My top contenders are SWR and AAS. I really like LOE, too. Basically same methodology in different packages, right? 

P.S. We are using Sequential Spelling, but not seeing it stick. I'd really like a "here's the rule and here's how you follow it" method. 

SWR doesn't give you a "here's the rule & here's how you follow it." It gives you phonograms, then words and points out the rules that apply to each word as you go. I think AAS is more the "here's the rule & here are words that follow it."

SWR has a pretty big ramp up time for the teacher, IMO. If you've already seen it, you have an idea what that means. If you aren't intimidated, it is definitely the lowest long-term cost of the three.

AAS has a high cost because you have all of these levels to mess with. It is pretty time consuming, but also very scripted & hold-your handish. Some people don't end up using all the levels because they jump ship eventually. Don't they have a great return policy? That'd probably be the best bonus for me. 

If you go with SWR, splurge for a couple decks of game cards & the game book from LOE. They are worth it for your youngers, IMO.

My kids have weighed in and they really like the format of SWR or LOE better. I thought Little Sis would like the tiles, but she really likes to write. Oldest Sis really depises the tiles. And Little Bro would probably lose all of them anyway. :lol:

And both girls like watching the author of LOE, Denise Eide, giving the spelling lists on YouTube. 

I really like the format of LOE for the teacher, so I think we will end up with that. 

I could put the time into SWR, of course, but my dh gently reminded me that my time with 3 kids isn't extensive. He recommends a teacher-friendly program. 

Thanks for all the advice! I do appreciate it! 

• Like 2