Menu

Ikea cabinets?

Miss Peregrine

We are thinking of getting new cabinets for our kitchen and looked at Ikea. I like the idea of non painted doors that won't end up needing to be retouched. I can just wipe them and no peeling paint!

Dh was a cabinet maker in a previous life and the thought of "fake wood" is painful for him. Lol.

We have 1980's oak that we painted when we couldn't stand it any longer but they are looking pretty shabby and the configuration leaves a lot to be desired.

Finslly, my question. Do the Ikea cabinets hold up? There are seven of us and things don't tend to last long, it seems, even if we spend more for good quality.

We put IKEA cabinets in our house when we lived there several years ago and I think they're holding up well.  (It's now a rental for us, and we haven't had any issues with them per the renters).  We were a family of nine when we lived there and we've had, I don't know, 5-6 different renters (students, families) in there since then.  I wouldn't say they're perfect (maybe the corners have dinged a little bit?) but not falling apart by any stretch of the imagination.  If we remodel our current house's kitchen, I'd do IKEA cabinets again. 

That said, make sure you're getting the newer version (it may be all they sell now); or at least don't buy the older version based on their "you'll always be able to replace any cabinets because the configurations are all the same!" selling point.  Apparently that has changed now.  Their new sets aren't all interchangeable.  Or something like that. 

• Like 1

The flipper we bought our house from used them all over the house. They look great, still.

My friend is s kitchen designer Nd the first time she came to my house, she remarked on how great the kitchen looked. A few minutes later, I made some comment about going to ikea to get something to go with the cabinets. She scorned the idea--You don't want to put IKEA against these beautiful cabinets. Haha.

IKEA released all new cabinets this year. They have a different hanging system than before and slightly different design. They still use Blum hardware & hinges, which is fabulous.

You might find this helpful reading: 

http://www.housetweaking.com/2015/02/04/thoughts-on-ikeas-new-kitchen-system/

If we end up buying a fixer house, I'm totally going the IKEA cabinet route.

• Like 2

We have Ikea cabinets & love them. They've worn well and are easy to clean. I'd definitely use Ikea again when it comes time to remodel or if we move to another place.

Insides are nice and easy to clean, and the construction isn't flimsy. I like a lot of the hinge hardware & other details; for ex. we have dampeners on the cupboards so they are all softclose & the drawer slides are some of the best anywhere. Smooth gliding & then for the last couple inches the mechanism grabs it & slows & gently closes it shut. 

Our bathroom cabinets are from a different company advertising 'european style' cabinets & hardware & they're nowhere near as nice...

• Like 1