Menu

Resume Writing

DawnM

We are getting TWO resumes together this week.  One for DH and one for me.  Neither of us has written a resume for 10 years (or longer).  He has had the same job for 10 years and I left my job 10 years ago but worked for 17 years before that.

Oye.  Resumes have really changed.  I think we should be ok with the tried and true old fashioned style, shouldn't we?

My head is spinning with all these resumes written in 3rd person.  

Example:  

Tom Short

(address and phone)

Then:

Tom has served as an executive director for XXX company for the last 12 years.  He has done blah, blah, blah and yadda, yadda, yadda and he has earned an award as a top leading whatever.

Then:

Lists experiences and references

WHAT???????????????

It just sounds so strange.

Dh is applying for another company as he feels he has hit the ceiling of what he can learn from working for his current company.

I am applying for a part time position in something I have never done before but do have a degree for.  I need to write a cover too and explain that my skills from my 17 years can indeed translate to the new position I am applying for.

Check around on Monster and other sites. Not every resume is in third person - it sounds strange to me too. There are many different acceptable options. I think Monster has an area where they tailor resume style to your field of work.

This is my favorite resume site: http://susanireland.com/

I particularly like the "problem solved" samples, which I used to rewrite my very old resume when I was getting back into paid word post-homeschooling. We also used suggestions from this site when my husband recently avoided a layoff by transitioning to a new position with the same company.

I don't remember seeing any samples there with descriptions written in the third person. That does sound odd.

• Like 1

Check on around on Monster and other sites. Not every resume is in third person - it sounds strange to me too. There are many different acceptable options. I thnk Monster has an area where they tailor resume style to field of work.

Oh we have.  We know that not all are like that, but he is looking specifically at folks in his firm and they are almost all like that.  

We are getting TWO resumes together this week.  One for DH and one for me.  Neither of us has written a resume for 10 years (or longer).  He has had the same job for 10 years and I left my job 10 years ago but worked for 17 years before that.

Oye.  Resumes have really changed.  I think we should be ok with the tried and true old fashioned style, shouldn't we?

My head is spinning with all these resumes written in 3rd person.  

Example:  

Tom Short

(address and phone)

Then:

Tom has served as an executive director for XXX company for the last 12 years.  He has done blah, blah, blah and yadda, yadda, yadda and he has earned an award as a top leading whatever.

Then:

Lists experiences and references

WHAT???????????????

It just sounds so strange.

The standard for resumes is to leave off names and pronouns (except at the top, obviously), not necessarily to use third person. It would just be "Served as executive director for the past 12 years. Delivered blah blah blah and responsible for yadda, yadda, yadda." I've never said "I" or "She" in a resume.

• Like 2

The standard for resumes is to leave off names and pronouns (except at the top, obviously), not necessarily to use third person. It would just be "Served as executive director for the past 12 years. Delivered blah blah blah and responsible for yadda, yadda, yadda." I've never said "I" or "She" in a resume.

I hadn't either, that is why I am asking.

I hadn't either, that is why I am asking.

AFAIK, that hasn't changed—at least not in my area. I just saw a stack of resumes several months ago for a job opening in my department.

ETA: It looks like using 3rd person is becoming more common, but my brief research indicates that it's not perceived as a positive change and sounds pretentious. I'd stick with the traditional format.

• Like 2

AFAIK, that hasn't changed—at least not in my area. I just saw a stack of resumes several months ago for a job opening in my department.

ETA: It looks like using 3rd person is becoming more common, but my brief research indicates that it's not perceived as a positive change and sounds pretentious. I'd stick with the traditional format.

But it has.  Several resumes posted to his firm's site have the 3rd person thing going on it.