Menu

Conventions and vendors

I went to my first convention after finishing up my oldest K year and loved it. And the vendor hall was FULLof so many curriculum vendors. It was wonderful to look through things and make purchases there. It seems like this year (and even somewhat last year) after seeing the list of vendors in the hall that there were so few. Most vendors were speakers.this is for my states convention which draws a nice sized crowd (not like any of the mega conventions though). Has anyone else noticed this about the state conventions or is it just mine? I may be looking into a convention that offers a bit more in the future if it's jsut mine.

The only thing I have noticed is that as my child gets older, the vendor hall offers less and less for us. When she was younger there were tons of things like toys, fun curriculum, games, crafts and books. Now it is a lot less fun. I guess high school is just not as exciting.

Our state convention seems to offer about the same number of vendors as in the past but of course, there is variety from year to year.

I don't know what state you're in, but if one of the GHC conventions has come to a state near you, that will definitely have an effect.  The convention put together by our state homeschooling org got DECIMATED when GHC Cincy began.  They're now pairing with TTD in an effort to revitalize, something I think people are excited about.  GHC Cincy, meanwhile, is now the largest convention (from what I've heard) in the country.  

So it could be perception or it could be you're actually seeing a decline, yes.

I'm not too close to any other super large ones. I'm in IL so GHC in Cincy is the closest I'm aware of. And TTD in Sandusky but those are still a drive away (although I'm more than willing at this point to drive that far next year if need be). I'm seriously looking at switching curriculums to meet the needs of my ever different kids and had hoped this year to get a good hands on look at things. BUT there really isn't anything there. It's a christian convention and none of the big names will be there no apologia, Sonlight, MFW, heart of Dakota, big idea press just to name a few. I was wanting to invest is a lot of things, but look at them first! I'm quite frustrated because in the past there had be n all of those and more. I'm wondering if it decision by the organization to allow speaker vendors in first, cost, etc or the companies themselves not going to "smaller" conventions anymore. Trying to get perspective before I make decisions for the future conventions I go to.

Are you talking about the ICHE convention in Naperville?  They still have a very large vendor hall, but there may be several reasons for the vendors you are looking for not being there.  I do believe that GHC conferences do have an effect on other conferences in a multi-state area.  It is very expensive to be a vendor at a conference ... travel expenses, booth fees, personnel.  And, in this day and age, so many people buy over the internet and not necessarily through that company's website, even if they look through materials at a conference.  They just aren't getting as much bang for their buck by exhibiting.  So they may have to pare down which conventions they go to.  Also, there has been a shift at the ICHE conference to include more patriarchy type speakers.  Some of these vendors may be at odds with these speakers and choose to put their efforts elsewhere.  Or the people at ICHE don't want them there because of this ideology shift. 

Are you talking about the ICHE convention in Naperville? They still have a very large vendor hall, but there may be several reasons for the vendors you are looking for not being there. I do believe that GHC conferences do have an effect on other conferences in a multi-state area. It is very expensive to be a vendor at a conference ... travel expenses, booth fees, personnel. And, in this day and age, so many people buy over the internet and not necessarily through that company's website, even if they look through materials at a conference. They just aren't getting as much bang for their buck by exhibiting. So they may have to pare down which conventions they go to. Also, there has been a shift at the ICHE conference to include more patriarchy type speakers. Some of these vendors may be at odds with these speakers and choose to put their efforts elsewhere. Or the people at ICHE don't want them there because of this ideology shift.

Yes ICHE and this is exactly what I was wondering. I was thinking some of this may have been more specific to our convention vs conventions as a whole. I'm thinking I may need to be going somewhere else next year if I am continuing to search for new curriculums to get my hands on first. Thanks for this insight.

Yes ICHE and this is exactly what I was wondering. I was thinking some of this may have been more specific to our convention vs conventions as a whole. I'm thinking I may need to be going somewhere else next year if I am continuing to search for new curriculums to get my hands on first. Thanks for this insight.

I think the only way you are going to get to see almost every major curriculum out there is to go to the mega-conferences.  Unfortunately, the smaller vendors and niche curriculum providers cannot afford to do these huge conferences. 

Well, even the gHC vendor hall was mediocre, at least at the SC location, and yes, most vendors were speakers. For goodness sake, The Flylady was both a vendor and a speaker. And that one lady....can't remember her name...she has three names...motivational homeschooling mom, sells books....anyhoo...speaker and a vendor. So then you do the major vendors, Sonlight (speaker), BJU, ABeka (speaker) Big Idea Press (speaker), IEW(speaker), Veritas Press (speaker), Classical Academic a Press (speaker), Memoria Press (speaker), Jay Wile (speaker), Apologia (speaker)and in the Rainbow Resource, and the Millers Pads and Papers... And there is a big chunk of the vendor hall. Throw in a few local vendors, a few smaller vendors, SEVERal online curriculum "schools", a handful of colleges, and that's that. Seriously look at the GHC website and compare the speaker to the vendors and notice most are the same.

Well, even the gHC vendor hall was mediocre, at least at the SC location, and yes, most vendors were speakers. For goodness sake, The Flylady was both a vendor and a speaker. And that one lady....can't remember her name...she has three names...motivational homeschooling mom, sells books....anyhoo...speaker and a vendor. So then you do the major vendors, Sonlight (speaker), BJU, ABeka (speaker) Big Idea Press (speaker), IEW(speaker), Veritas Press (speaker), Classical Academic a Press (speaker), Memoria Press (speaker), Jay Wile (speaker), Apologia (speaker)and in the Rainbow Resource, and the Millers Pads and Papers... And there is a big chunk of the vendor hall. Throw in a few local vendors, a few smaller vendors, SEVERal online curriculum "schools", a handful of colleges, and that's that. Seriously look at the GHC website and compare the speaker to the vendors and notice most are the same.

Yes, I questioned this a few weeks ago (most of the speakers also being exhibitors). It was not always the case, but then I started going to conventions in the 80s, before there were boatloads of homeschoolers who had written their own books or blogs (no Internet, lol). In California for many years the state organization's policy was the exhibitors could only do exhibitor workshops; all other workshops were by experienced homeschoolers (or other professionals who were knew their stuff but were not exhibitors). I think that kind of convention (which I prefer; old habits die hard) has become a dinosaur.

I'm not too close to any other super large ones. I'm in IL so GHC in Cincy is the closest I'm aware of. And TTD in Sandusky but those are still a drive away (although I'm more than willing at this point to drive that far next year if need be). I'm seriously looking at switching curriculums to meet the needs of my ever different kids and had hoped this year to get a good hands on look at things. BUT there really isn't anything there. It's a christian convention and none of the big names will be there no apologia, Sonlight, MFW, heart of Dakota, big idea press just to name a few. I was wanting to invest is a lot of things, but look at them first! I'm quite frustrated because in the past there had be n all of those and more. I'm wondering if it decision by the organization to allow speaker vendors in first, cost, etc or the companies themselves not going to "smaller" conventions anymore. Trying to get perspective before I make decisions for the future conventions I go to.

If you're driving from IL, you're correct that you need to go to GHC.  TTD Sandusky will be much smaller.  The flavor will be different at TTD, and if you want that flavor go there.  GHC Cincy is the biggest convention in the country, from what I've heard, and EVERYTHING will be there.  It's definitely worth driving for.

My impression is the SC convention is not nearly as big.  I don't know, I've been to Cincy every year and have NEVER had a problem finding worthwhile speakers to attend and I've been homeschooling plenty of years.  Usually there are so many great sessions going on at once it's hard even to choose!  They always have a number of sessions on disabilities and high school.  The vendor speakers are not there pushing curriculum but teaching you on topics.  Look at their topic sessions.  Obviously the vary, but I've found the sessions to be very useful no matter what curriculum you're using.  

So I'm sorry SC was not useful to you, but Cincy is amazing. Crazy big, crazy good.

Well I guess I'll see if anyone wants to road trip it with me next year to eith TTD or GHC. If I had only known my first year there to really take a good hands on look at everything when all the curriculum companies were there I would have! I just assumed they'd always there. And I wish I had known so I could have taken advantage of some online sales. I had figured I'd wait and buy it at the convention to help support them ther. I guess you live and learn!

I wish there were at ours even if they were speakers! At least they'd be there the speakers who are also vendors are more for their own personal books and such. Not really curriculum like I'm wanting to get my hands on!

I think a lot of this vendor/speaker dynamic is because it is so much easier to publish nowadays than it used to be.  As an example, almost any popular blog, no matter how inane, now has a book published and sold with just pages full of its posts.

Many of the vendors/speakers listed in this thread have their own publishing houses and put out their own materials.  I see that as a feature, not a bug.  If someone has a lot of expertise on a subject (enough that they would be speaking on it at a convention) then it makes sense to me that they would publish at least some of their thoughts and try to sell them.  Since the closest convention is 8 hours away from me by car, I appreciate that I can get, say, Andrew Pudewa's insights without having to drive to LA.  I don't understand the objection to speakers also being vendors.  I understand it if it's not homeschool related, but I'd love to hear Cheryl Swope or the Detweilers or Pudewa, and the fact that they sell their materials there too doesn't really make me think twice.

• Like 2

I like the fact that many of the speakers are selling their materials. There's no way they can share all their expertise in 50 minutes. I often listen to what they have to say and then check out their books. All too often I buy, which is probably why I own 4300+ books... 

I noticed a huge shift in our state convention years ago--they finally addressed more practical things, such as tackling biology and transcripts, along with things for older students. I almost didn't go one year, but made a long-winded complaint the year before about the "Teaching Home" syndrome: "We pulled little Johnny and we're so glad we did. We pulled little Suzy and we're so glad we did". Ad nauseam. That's why Mary Pride started "Practical Homeschooling". Anyway, I must not have been the only one complaining about no practicality from speakers--just wonderful, uplifting sentiments. The next year they had specific tracks for beginning, and ones for elementary, and ones for high school. MUCH better!

Unfortunately, our state conference has swung back the other way: it's mostly uplifting talks. They no longer bill themselves as a hsing conference, but a family conference. That's pretty evident in their schedule. However, I'll go again, as I'd like to hear Marshall Foster again. His history talks are always fascinating. I don't suppose I need a whole lot of help on dissecting and course descriptions any more!  :laugh:

The problem with exhibitors also presenting workshops is that sometimes their competitors don't come. For example, here in Central Texas, if Jessica Hulcey is doing workshops, Tapestry of Grace and Mystery of History won't be exhibiting, because people will flock to the KONOS booth and ignore the others. If the author of TOG (whose name I have forgotten) is doing workshops, KONOS and MOH won't come, because people will flock to the TOG booth and ignore the others. Possibly, if the convention is large enough that the authors of all those books could do workshops, no one would have an advantage, but AFAIK, that never happened here. People should be able to look at everything and not be persuaded in favor of one just because the author did some workshops.

Oh I dont have a problem with speakers being vendors at all! I've enjoyed lookng at those materials that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. At the same time many of those speakers aren't curriculum based but rather homeschool, family, housekeeping, mom helps. So they are books, some of which I've purchAsed. But I feel that at my particular convention they have been taking away from where curriculum based companies could have and have been in the past. I guess one of the things I loved about the vendor hall and that kept me there for hours looking at all hte curriculum, making decisions, and buying. I probably will only go once this year to grab what I need maybe look at one or two speaker booths and then I'm out. I understand that it may not be too profitable for the curriculum companies and would rather them not have that cost. But at the same time I'd love a place to be able to see curriculum in its entirety, ask questions, etc. with many of my curriculum choices and desires being pricey I would prefer to see it first.

The problem with exhibitors also presenting workshops is that sometimes their competitors don't come. For example, here in Central Texas, if Jessica Hulcey is doing workshops, Tapestry of Grace and Mystery of History won't be exhibiting, because people will flock to the KONOS booth and ignore the others. If the author of TOG (whose name I have forgotten) is doing workshops, KONOS and MOH won't come, because people will flock to the TOG booth and ignore the others. Possibly, if the convention is large enough that the authors of all those books could do workshops, no one would have an advantage, but AFAIK, that never happened here. People should be able to look at everything and not be persuaded in favor of one just because the author did some workshops.

Well, that seems like the competition shooting themselves in the foot.  I personally don't know enough to just stick with one exhibitor/vendor/workshop.  Maybe it's just because I'm still a newbie, but I can't figure not checking out all my options.  The whole point of me going to a convention would be to see all of those people.  If one company doesn't want to exhibit because of competition at a convention where multiple vendors are supposed to convene, that just seems odd.  I can't think of another business realm or trade show environment where competitors don't all show up and...compete...for business.  When I go to quilt shows, generally the workshops or classes are sponsored, but that doesn't stop other companies from showing up.  :confused1: