Menu

Cater to the older child when combining... right?

AimeeM

I ordered the Level C special needs program from MP at the conference. However, I had discussed with the SN curriculum writer previously (on the forums) and initially planned to get the Level 1, to cater more towards DS5 (going into grade 1 next year, but has serious fine motor skill issues and cannot write, or really even trace, at all yet).

I'm not sure WHY I panicked thinking that I should cater more towards DS2 and his speech needs... but I ended up ordering Level C instead, and just buying the entire phonics program for DS5 to go further on his own. The problem? I don't think Level C will hold his interest at all, so it would be really for DS2 instead... and I wouldn't be able to combine them.

With Level C:

I would need to do Math, Phonics, Grammar separately with DS5.

DS2 would, however, get the most from this program. He knows his letters, sounds, counts (items and by 1's, 2's, 10's), etc, but would benefit from the very slow pace at which this program introduces actual reading, given his age. He would get more from the stories in this level's read aloud package.

DS5, however, has read (when he was younger) many of the read alouds, and wouldn't want to sit through them again. I would have to do most skill subjects separately with him, as he is well beyond the first phonics book that this level incorporates.

With Level 1:

I could use this as DS5's core, in a more sincere and pure way. I would only need to supplement his religion (we're Catholic, and heading into a sacrament prep year), and we use a different math program... but other than that, I wouldn't need to change anything for him.

DS2 wouldn't get as much from this, but would enjoy the Level 1 read alouds, and I also have on hand the entire Rod and Staff preschool set, that he could do pretty independently if he gets bored with us.

For those wondering why I'm including the will-be-three-year-old: I have a couple posts up about it - on the advice of DS2's therapists, they feel he would benefit from a more structured day, and would be less likely to tantrum/self harm if he is stimulated; he also just loves anything he can do with DS5 - they are the best of friends. 

I seem to recall reading on here several times that the standard plan, when combining children, is to work to the level of the older child, when the younger isn't "school age", and just to moderate some lessons as needed to incorporate the younger?

ETA: I need to streamline, which is why I'm combining these two where possible; I'll also have a 2E dyslexic 8th grader to work with!

We are looking to combine a bit - I'm thoroughly impressed with Trail Guide to Learning (despite not having a unit study or CM bone in my body!) and want to implement it this upcoming year with my rising third grader. Her second grade sister should be able to work alongside in the unit, but I think pushing the younger or accommodating her a bit, to keep the older one more challenged and wait another year, is the best choice.

It's good on a number of levels - it keeps us on the history cycle I want, keeps the material age appropriate to slightly challenging, and allows me to combine when I haven't been able to, before. If I don't go with this, then the kids remain uncombined, and that workload is something I'd like to adjust.

Picking something that suited the second grader and trying to stretch the top end of it to provide enough to work for the third grader would likely just result in me giving the third grader more busywork and output, rather than work that challenges her comprehension and helps her advance. That's a lot less ideal that slowing down a few things or easing an assignment for the younger child, in terms of detriment in the long run.

Unless your students are totally unmatched in skill, strengths, and overall academic ability, I'd recommend supporting the older child and modifying as needed to suit the younger. I've been mulling this the last week and that's what I've come to as the best workable solution for us, anyway.

We will be combining with Sonlight. I think you have amore complicated situation than many, and that makes it more difficult to make decisions.  My question for you is, what will make it simpler to implement for YOU?  I am working on that now, and it is quite a bit more complicated when you have a child that is gifted or special needs.  I am trying to keep it simple for me, while doing what will fit best for each child.  There is only one of me to go around, and they all need me.  (((hugs))) mama.

When life and kids get complicated, I try to boil it down to what are my priorities? I have to work on my dyslexic daughter's reading, have to work on speech, etc. After I set my priorities, I see how much more I can fit in/combine, but I give myself permission to let things slide, If I don't teach handwriting this year, it'll catch up later. If I don't do science, history, and read-alouds, I try not to get sad over what I'm not doing, because I'm doing my best. There are so many read-alouds out there that sometimes it's okay to skip what is scheduled (but done in the past) and just do a book that none of the kids have heard so that you can combine them. Hang in there and take it one step at a time.

Aimee - Call MP, send Level C back, and get get Level 1. You know they are great to work with & you know that's the right answer. 

:grouphug: If you think you'll have time, hold onto the Phonics books from Level C.  :hat:

• Like 1

Aimee - Call MP, send Level C back, and get get Level 1. You know they are great to work with & you know that's the right answer.

:grouphug: If you think you'll have time, hold onto the Phonics books from Level C. :hat:

I agree with RootAnn. MP customer service is superior. Call and talk to them about all your concerns. Personally I would do level 1 and let the little one listen to the enrichment stories.
  • Like 1

There are no hard and fast rules with combining, only as many paths as there are families.

I combine my 5 and 7 yo as much as possible, because I too like to streamline and they too are very close. I go with whoever "needs" it most. Sometimes geared to the oldest and the younger doing what he can, sometimes geared to the younger giving the older good review, confidence, and the ability to really go the extra mile.

It seems like you already know what's best. ;).

:grouphug: If you think you'll have time, hold onto the Phonics books from Level C.  :hat:

I actually did just this the same day I posted here, lol.

Luckily, my order hadn't even shipped (since it was a convention order), so they very patiently walked me through ordering the Level 1 instead, making sure I bought extra consumables, etc. I will do a Level C pace with DS2 as far as phonics go (so using only the first phonics book), but use the Level 1 pace with DS5 (even though he's past several of them, he is still not fluidly reading, so I'm going to start at the beginning).

They were great to work with, as always :)

• Like 1