Menu

AOPS Algebra B/2: Is this counted as algebra 1 or 2?

My Ds has completed AOPS Algebra B/ formerly Algebra 2 and I am submitting the course so he gets high school credit through our public charter school. I have thought he would get credit for high school algebra 2, but I want to confirm if this is the case or if he would need their Intermediate Algebra/ formerly Algebra 3 to count for Algebra 2?

Many count this as Algebra 2, but since you are submitting it to a public school system you might want to see if they have a scope and sequence needed which needs to be considered. AoPS Intro to Algebra doesn't hit all the topics generally considered in an Algebra 2 course, but does hit all sorts of things that are not covered.  However the Intermediate Algebra hits the remaining Algebra 2 topics and a stack more. 

Depending on if your student is going into STEM or various majors which are math heavy, that might be the best determiner.  Honestly, the line is fairly arbitrary unless further math related careers are going to need it.  If your student is going to be going STEM then just count Intermediate as Algebra 2.

• Like 1

Gosh, it is not clear.

If you count Algebra B as Algebra 2, then Intermediate + Precalc count for Precalc. If you count Intermediate as Algebra 2, then Precalc counts for Precalc. I think it'd prepare a student just fine for most non-AOPS precalc courses -- I think doing a full algebra 2 after it would be very much overkill -- so alg 2 is certainly reasonable.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I was looking at this, but my impression was that the latter half of Intro to Alg contained about half the topics of a standard Alg 2 and the other half were in Intermediate. I'm on my phone and can't look up old threads, but I'd also be interested to hear where traditional "trig" would be located within the aops texts (e.g. my dd will take "honors algebra 2 and trig" at school next year).

• Like 1

... I'd also be interested to hear where traditional "trig" would be located within the aops texts (e.g. my dd will take "honors algebra 2 and trig" at school next year).

Trigonometry is in AoPS precalculus book.

Matrices is in the Precalc book too and would be under algebra 2 for public school.

• Like 4

It's been a while since I was looking at this, but my impression was that the latter half of Intro to Alg contained about half the topics of a standard Alg 2 and the other half were in Intermediate. I'm on my phone and can't look up old threads, but I'd also be interested to hear where traditional "trig" would be located within the aops texts (e.g. my dd will take "honors algebra 2 and trig" at school next year).

I'm comparing the Intro Alg and Intermediate Alg ToCs online with Dolciani's Algebra and Trig Structure and Method Book 2 to see if it will help. This is what I see...a good 70-80% of Dolciani's text overlaps with second half of AoPS's Intro Alg but Inter Alg seems to go into more depth. E.g. Polynomial division is covered in AoPS Inter Alg and not in the second half of AoPS Intro Alg (according to the ToC anyway, I've sold ours so I can't check with the physical book). Another e.g. is that Inter Alg has conics and Intro Alg doesn't (again according to ToCs).

Traditional trig appears in AoPS Precalculus.

ETA: I see Arcadia responded while I was typing. Dolciani's Alg 2 includes matrices and statistics/probability.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bumping this since Aops is now offering UC A-G credit for its courses, I am wondering what they are officially giving as credit for Intro to Algebra B.  I guess I could just write them, but I thought I'd see if anyone else already has the answer! 

• Like 1

Argh.  Being new to this whole "how much credit do I give" situation, just ARGH.

I was going to count each AoPS Algebra class, both A and B, as one semester and give DD 2 HS credits (Our state does not use the Cambridge system.  Basically, one semester is 1 credit.)

Am I short-changing her?

ETA:  Ack.  And SORRY for the hijack, OP.  My panic overrode my manners.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 1

Matrices is in the Precalc book too and would be under algebra 2 for public school.

But certainly not nearly as detailed and in depth.

Much of the matrix and vector material is covered in calculus 3 at college. Almost all of my physics students (all STEM majors) have never encountered a cross product before.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Argh.  Being new to this whole "how much credit do I give" situation, just ARGH.

I was going to count each AoPS Algebra class, both A and B, as one semester and give DD 2 HS credits (Our state does not use the Cambridge system.  Basically, one semester is 1 credit.)

Am I short-changing her?

Look, in the end it really does not matter how many credits you give. Colleges will look at the math sequence and the highest math your student took.

FWIW, I gave each of my children one year of high school credit for completing the entire AoPS Intro to Algebra text. Could I have given two? Probably - but why bother if they will have five (or more) math credits already and end with calculus?

Nobody is going to count the credits if math is done every year and there is a progression of ocursework.

• Like 4

Am I short-changing her?

ETA:  Ack.  And SORRY for the hijack, OP.  My panic overrode my manners.

I am in the same boat. So far the plan is to take Algebra B and Intro to geometry this year, so I am planning on one semester credit for Algebra B and 2 semesters for geometry. Algebra B is only 15 weeks vs 22-25 for so for some other classes, so I don't feel it deserves a full year credit.

• Like 2

Look, in the end it really does not matter how many credits you give. Colleges will look at the math sequence and the highest math your student took.

FWIW, I gave each of my children one year of high school credit for completing the entire AoPS Intro to Algebra text. Could I have given two? Probably - but why bother if they will have five (or more) math credits already and end with calculus?

Nobody is going to count the credits if math is done every year and there is a progression of ocursework.

Good point.

High school planning has me :willy_nilly: .  I may be just a teeny bit overwrought. :001_smile:

• Like 2

I am in the same boat. So far the plan is to take Algebra B and Intro to geometry this year, so I am planning on one semester credit for Algebra B and 2 semesters for geometry. Algebra B is only 15 weeks vs 22-25 for so for some other classes, so I don't feel it deserves a full year credit.

This was my initial plan, too.  I think I just overthought it.  Thanks for being the voice of reason! :001_smile:

• Like 1

Interesting that this thread came up again. My son did get credit from the charter for Algebra 2 after taking AOPS Algebra B. Over the summer, he did geometry so this year he got for credit for geometry even though throughout the school year he took AOPS Intermediate Algebra. So Intermediate Algebra doesn't show up on his transcript anywhere. He is going into public high school next year and I am hoping he will be placed in pre calculus. I don't know what text they use but I am wondering if he may have covered a lot of it already. However, maybe it will be good to have a class with a lot of review to start with as he gets used to public school.

we have an appointment to talk with the school counselor next week. Is there any reason we should try to get a placement other than the typical high school pre calculus course?

Am I short-changing her?

JoJosMom, I think your plan is fine! I agree with regentrude here. Your transcript credit details will not matter nearly as much as your dd's math scores on standardized testing, outsourced course grades, &/or math competition results.

Schools that recognize the AoPS name will appreciate what she's done, no matter how you credit it.

My own dd's math transcript was a bit of a jumble, as she did all the basic courses at home with me, but "topped them off" with online AoPS classes (in the days before AoPS had their textbook series, so that's what most folks did).

Interesting that this thread came up again. My son did get credit from the charter for Algebra 2 after taking AOPS Algebra B. Over the summer, he did geometry so this year he got for credit for geometry even though throughout the school year he took AOPS Intermediate Algebra. So Intermediate Algebra doesn't show up on his transcript anywhere. He is going into public high school next year and I am hoping he will be placed in pre calculus. I don't know what text they use but I am wondering if he may have covered a lot of it already. However, maybe it will be good to have a class with a lot of review to start with as he gets used to public school.

we have an appointment to talk with the school counselor next week. Is there any reason we should try to get a placement other than the typical high school pre calculus course?

He'll still need the trigonometry portion of a standard precalc since, since it's not covered till the AoPS Precalc text. I'm guessing, though, that he'll find the remainder of the high school's precalc course to be VERY easy after AoPS intermediate alg. :001_smile:

• Like 2

Bumping this since Aops is now offering UC A-G credit for its courses, I am wondering what they are officially giving as credit for Intro to Algebra B.  I guess I could just write them, but I thought I'd see if anyone else already has the answer!

You can contact the course list manager in the link below. What is comical is that Precalc is under the discipline of advanced math while Calculus is under the discipline of calculus. So nothing maps to high school Precalculus on that link.

https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist#/list/details/4757/

But certainly not nearly as detailed and in depth.

Much of the matrix and vector material is covered in calculus 3 at college. Almost all of my physics students (all STEM majors) have never encountered a cross product before.

The old (pre common core) algebra 2 textbook that I have covers dot product, Cramer's rule, inverse and augmented matrices. It is an overview.

I can check an old California precalculus textbook later for what is covered. My kids tend to do the physics and then go backwards to cover whatever math knowledge is lacking.

Cross product is in my 2008 copy of Fundamentals of physics (Halliday, Resnick, Walker). It is also in an older California school's AP Physics B and C study guide that a teacher compiled for his students.

• Like 1

He'll still need the trigonometry portion of a standard precalc since, since it's not covered till the AoPS Precalc text. I'm guessing, though, that he'll find the remainder of the high school's precalc course to be VERY easy after AoPS intermediate alg. :001_smile:

So do you have any recommendations for covering the trigonometry over the summer? I know ds would hate being placed in their Algebra 2/Trigonometry class. He is taking a 6 week chemistry class through an academic talent program over the summer but I think doing some math as well would be worth it. Especially if they want him to do a placement test, though since he has credit from a public school charter for Geometry and Algebra 2 I am really hoping it won't be much of an issue.

So do you have any recommendations for covering the trigonometry over the summer? I know ds would hate being placed in their Algebra 2/Trigonometry class. He is taking a 6 week chemistry class through an academic talent program over the summer but I think doing some math as well would be worth it. Especially if they want him to do a placement test, though since he has credit from a public school charter for Geometry and Algebra 2 I am really hoping it won't be much of an issue.

Do you have any precalculus texts (like Foerster, Dolciani, etc) lying around? Khan Academy's trig covers all the standard fare, too. Or you could get AoPS precalc if he wants something a bit meatier. I'd bet he'd have no trouble self teaching, and trig is perfect for a summer term.

• Like 1

He is going into public high school next year and I am hoping he will be placed in pre calculus. I don't know what text they use but I am wondering if he may have covered a lot of it already.

Precalculus at school has a honors track. Link below is to a common one by Demana, scroll to bottom of link

http://www.leuzinger.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=585457&type=u&pREC_ID=908230

ETA:

Placement tests for 9th grade is already done for local 8th graders in B&M schools so that they would know their course assignment by summer.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Do you know what text they're using and the scope/sequence? Because I would say the easiest way to make sure he's on a level with everyone else who's done algebra 2/trig is to get the book they use and do the trig chapters (they are usually separated so that a school that wants to do algebra 2 w/o trig can do it).

• Like 2

Do you know what text they're using and the scope/sequence? Because I would say the easiest way to make sure he's on a level with everyone else who's done algebra 2/trig is to get the book they use and do the trig chapters (they are usually separated so that a school that wants to do algebra 2 w/o trig can do it).

I'll try to find out, that's a good idea. This is kind of a new decision, and I had just figured we'd finish up the AOPS sequence and have never worried about what the local schools were doing.

I'll try to find out, that's a good idea. This is kind of a new decision, and I had just figured we'd finish up the AOPS sequence and have never worried about what the local schools were doing.

If you could find a math teacher's email, that might be the quickest way to find out, before they completely disappear for the summer.

My dd's school uses Demana for precalc and either Dolciani or Glencoe McGraw Hill Common Core for alg 2 & trig.  In Dolciani, trig is 3 chapters, one of which he would have seen in geometry (aops or common core).  The TOC for Glencoe McGraw Hill common core alg 2 includes the following for trig:

Unit 5 Trigonometry

Chapter 12 Trigonometric Functions

Explore 12-1 Spreadsheet Lab: Investigating Special Right Triangles
12-1 Trigonometric Functions in Right Triangles
12-2 Angles and Angle Measure
     Extend 12-2 Geometry Lab: Areas of Parallelograms
12-3 Trigonometric Functions of General Angles
12-4 Law of Sines
    Extend 12-4 Geometry Lab: Regular Polygons
12-5 Law of Cosines
12-6 Circular and Periodic Functions
12-7 Graphing Trigonometric Functions