• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

(((hugs))) Jean

I had a really bad night terror last night. Dh had to grab me to snap me out of it. My heart was beating so fast, and I was shaking uncontrollably. I am now researching what to do about them. Not much, apparently!

Epsom salt baths. As Jean said, magnesium. It is the only thing that got rid of ds's night terrors after 6 months of them almost every night.

• Like 1

Enchiladas are not rolled, they are stacked, one at a time, but not in a casserole. Of course, I guess it can depend on what region of Mexico someone is from with the rolled vs stacked issue. And of course it is with a corn tortilla. If someone is rolling something inside a flour tortilla, most normal people call that a burrito.

Mine look kind of like this, but I like red chile:

Stacked_Chicken_Enchiladas_Fine_Cooking_

Like this, just don't use yellow cheese. ick::

enchilada-stack-su-1728732-x.jpg?itok=0g

I think we have a regional difference because all of the hole in the wall genuine Mexican food places here roll their enchiladas.  So do all of the Tex Mex places.  I've never eaten anything that looks like the above.  Same ingredients in all of these options, just assembled differently.  If you visit Texas and order an enchilada plate, you will get rolled tortillas with meat or cheese inside and a sauce on top.

• Like 1

Epsom salt baths. As Jean said, magnesium. It is the only thing that got rid of ds's night terrors after 6 months of them almost every night.

Well, I already take a heaping teaspoon of Natural Calm magnesium every day without fail for migraine prevention, but the epsom salts would provide a different way to get it into me.  It is worth a try, and I do like to take a bath most nights anyway.

• Like 1

I think we have a regional difference because all of the hole in the wall genuine Mexican food places here roll their enchiladas.  So do all of the Tex Mex places.  I've never eaten anything that looks like the above.  Same ingredients in all of these options, just assembled differently.  If you visit Texas and order an enchilada plate, you will get rolled tortillas with meat or cheese inside and a sauce on top.

It is very rare that you will find a restaurant that will stack tortillas like that because it takes so long to do. They roll them in the restaurants here too. However, when it comes to homemade it is different. My suegra was a restaurant cook and rolled at the restaurant but stacked at home :D. The only rolling I do is for flautas, but those are fried, not baked.

It is very rare that you will find a restaurant that will stack tortillas like that because it takes so long to do. They roll them in the restaurants here too. However, when it comes to homemade it is different. My suegra was a restaurant cook and rolled at the restaurant but stacked at home :D. The only rolling I do is for flautas, but those are fried, not baked.

I will ask some of my genuine Mexican friends right now because I must know.

• Like 3

I googled chicken enchiladas and got this as the first hit:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-enchiladas-recipe.html

In fact, all of the enchilada recipes on the page are rolled.  Even the Pioneer Woman rolls hers.

I rest my case. :hat:

It's funny because when I googled, I got stacked. But I googled stacked. Then I googled "rolled or stacked" and there was a discussion about it as the first hit. Interestingly, somebody credited it as a New Mexican thing. My husband is the one that taught me, and he's true red/green/white Mexican.

It is less messy, you can make them as big as you want with as much or little filling or chile you want. Rolled seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

I think it is a NM think.  I just googled chicken enchiladas with no other words.  I tell you I have never in my life eaten what you posted.  But rolled is a lot of trouble, I agree!  If you do it right, you end up with burned fingers and a big mess.

My husband's family is from Chihuahua, Chihuahua Mexico, and they all stack. Maybe I should start a poll on the chat board. :D.

• Like 4

Ds makes really good (rolled) enchilladas.  Half are dairy free for dh.  But once dd became allergic to nightshades we figured there was no way we could make them for her.  

Is corn a nightshade?  You can make them without tomatoes.  My red sauce has no tomatoes.  It's chili powder.

I think it's the only way to get to the bottom of this.

Not if only a bunch of us gringos are answering. It won't be authentic enough. Then someone will start a thread about how non-Mexican people think enchiladas are supposed to be made, and why don't they ask a Mexican. Sigh. I read too much on that board.

• Like 4

Not if only a bunch of us gringos are answering. It won't be authentic enough. Then someone will start a thread about how non-Mexican people think enchiladas are supposed to be made, and why don't they ask a Mexican. Sigh. I read too much on that board.

You can do what I do and answer every Chat forum thread nonsensically like you are Jerry Seinfeld or something.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

I keep asking my dh but don't get a straight answer: am I still considered a gringa if I'm black? No one wants to call me negrita because it's not pc. So what the heck am I? Sigh. Left once again without an identity.

You get to decide what you are called, and the rest of us must comply to be polite.  :)

Do you really do that? I think I need to stalk you.

Yep, if the mood strikes.  Jean's lunchmeat thread was a lobbed up softball pitch for such antics.  Jean can be my new straight man.

• Like 7

Do you really do that? I think I need to stalk you.

You already read the one I linked eons ago, right?  The one in which everyone was one-upping each other on coffee so I went all "The Onion" on them.  I consider that my best work to date.  Some of my best work has been lost to thread deletions.  <sob>  But the coffee one remains as a testament.  When I'm on, I'm on, baby!

And yes, I am like this IRL.

• Like 3

You already read the one I linked eons ago, right?  The one in which everyone was one-upping each other on coffee so I went all "The Onion" on them.  I consider that my best work to date.  Some of my best work has been lost to thread deletions.  <sob>  But the coffee one remains as a testament.  When I'm on, I'm on, baby!

And yes, I am like this IRL.

So am I.

Worry not, tattle girl.   ;)

I think we could have some real fun together.   :D

I figured if they could fight about how to make pbj and the weight of air, we might as well get a bit multicultural and talk about stacking enchiladas.

• Like 1

I think negrita sounds pretty and feminine, but I imagine if I was unfamiliar with the Spanish word negro I might not like it.

We're having pizza for the last time before our whole 30. Tomorrow we finish the burgers and then no more bread for the Lubbes. :crying:

• Like 2

My dh calls me negrita as a term of endearment. Once I referred to myself that way and a chicana got all huffy and offended about it. I was like, "what? I'm black, no?"

Our world of political correctness is dangerous and creates racism and prejudice of all kinds. Personal opinion.

• Like 5

I think we have a regional difference because all of the hole in the wall genuine Mexican food places here roll their enchiladas. So do all of the Tex Mex places. I've never eaten anything that looks like the above. Same ingredients in all of these options, just assembled differently. If you visit Texas and order an enchilada plate, you will get rolled tortillas with meat or cheese inside and a sauce on top.

I would agree with this. The town we live in is about 80% Hispanic, there is a Mexican restaurant and/or taco truck on every street. And I have never seen stacked enchiladas. They are always rolled.
  • Like 1

New member of the family that dh brought home from work today. She was shy and hiding under the chair

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NQnUzc1lhTEhESFk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4Nb3lyOUltcjVxNFE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4Nd0k3WHRfN1lweG8/view?usp=sharing

The older member. She's about 7-8 pounds. The other pup is bigger.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NT1AtUkQwZFkwNzQ/view?usp=sharing

From my garden- summer squash. I finally got a picture. These aren't the biggest we've had, but it's all good.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NS0l1UjVYR1BLcUk/view?usp=sharing

Okay, I'm done. For now. Going back for homework.

• Like 2