Menu

Challenging Word Problems is being replaced by common core edition

SevenDaisies

Then call me mad because I now have in my possession a complete set of Standards for all 3 children as well as a complete set of CWP. In my defense after I heard they might discontinue Standards, I started  ordering complete sets when I ordered for my oldest because I didn't want to have to purchase new HIGs and TBs if I couldn't get the workbooks to match down the road. My only excuse for CWP was fear that I might not like them as much. Of course, now that I have all these books, my son is really not liking Standards 3A, so we are about to try BA. Guess I may not need all those workbooks after all.

You can definitely do both, if you decide to make your DS stick it out with Singapore, lol.  I love Beast Academy...it is my favorite curriculum out of my entire collection.

Eldest DS loves it too...but, there is not enough review for the concepts to really stick.  He has to see the concept again, a bit down the road, and then again a bit down the road after that.  He learns it easily enough, but will forget some of it if we don't review from time to time.  

So we use Singapore as our primary curriculum and then Beast as a summer bridge.  I also use Beast occasionally during the school year as a supplement.  

• Like 2

Then call me mad because I now have in my possession a complete set of Standards for all 3 children as well as a complete set of CWP. In my defense after I heard they might discontinue Standards, I started ordering complete sets when I ordered for my oldest because I didn't want to have to purchase new HIGs and TBs if I couldn't get the workbooks to match down the road. My only excuse for CWP was fear that I might not like them as much. Of course, now that I have all these books, my son is really not liking Standards 3A, so we are about to try BA. Guess I may not need all those workbooks after all.

Where and when did you hear that a Standards may be discontinued?

Where and when did you hear that a Standards may be discontinued?

They are considering replacing Standards with CC, not US. I heard it on the Singapore Math Forum. It was discussed prior to the post below, but they updated their forum a while back, and the history was not saved. I believe I first heard it about two years ago because that was when I purchased 4A/B, which is when I started purchasing workbooks for all 3 children.

http://www.singaporemath.us/forums/forum/main-category/main-forum/579-will-the-standards-edition-be-phased-out-now-that-the-common-core-edition-is-here

I don't know that Singapore actually IS replacing Standards, or discontinuing Standards.  However, there have been whispers of it, and Singapore is notorious for just up and doing something without giving any warning.  

If you think about it...Singapore has several editions out right now.  Standards, US, MIF (isn't there another one, too?).  It really doesn't make sense to keep all of them.  

I don't know that Singapore actually IS replacing Standards, or discontinuing Standards.  However, there have been whispers of it, and Singapore is notorious for just up and doing something without giving any warning.  

If you think about it...Singapore has several editions out right now.  Standards, US, MIF (isn't there another one, too?).  It really doesn't make sense to keep all of them.  

They have Standards, US and CC. MIF is not theirs. CC was based on Standards, and Jenny at Singapore says they are very similar, and that is why they may eventually discontinue it.

This is from the link a couple posts up thread. Jenny said: "I am sorry, but nothing is certain in this life. It is possible that Standards edition may possibly be phased out in possibly in a number of years.. Not likely immediately. The Core edition really is not that different from Standards edition and once people realize this it may not make sense to carry both of them after a while. But at the moment there is no Home Instructor's Guide for that edition, and that is a real plus for the Standards edition."

I still need to purchase Standards Edition 4A through 6B (textbook, workbook, tests, and HIG), plus US Edition Intensive Practice (I'm not too worried about them discontinuing those however). If you decide you don't need yours let me know. We're committed to this series through at least 5th grade - depending on DS's boredom level we may opt to skip 6th and move straight into the next series (he's a STEM kid and as long as we stick with Singapore he won't miss anything if we do it that way).

This is how we do it too. And I'm as crazy as the rest of you-- I ordered workbooks for ds4 now up thru the guides I already owned for ds1 because I don't want to change editions.

You can definitely do both, if you decide to make your DS stick it out with Singapore, lol. I love Beast Academy...it is my favorite curriculum out of my entire collection.

Eldest DS loves it too...but, there is not enough review for the concepts to really stick. He has to see the concept again, a bit down the road, and then again a bit down the road after that. He learns it easily enough, but will forget some of it if we don't review from time to time.

So we use Singapore as our primary curriculum and then Beast as a summer bridge. I also use Beast occasionally during the school year as a supplement.

No no no!  Nothing is wrong with Sonlight.  Its just that...I already placed an order with Rainbow and I'd hate to go order the same books (plus the CWP 4 which Rainbow didn't have) if Rainbow is going to be able to fill the original order I placed.  

Sorry for the confusion...lol!  

Thank you for the clarification!  :) 

(Funny how we can misinterpret someone's post so easily.)

I think CWP gets used pretty widely, even by folks who don't use SM as their main curriculum.  I don't think good, challenging word problems would be a waste, even if you weren't using the "Singapore way" to solve them.  Plus, I'm gonna bet if you decide not to use them, you won't have much trouble re-selling them.

• Like 1

It's nice to know I'm not the only one buying up workbooks for my youngest child based the textbooks and HIG's that I own. ;)  I got stuck when they changed the secondary levels, and I'm not going to go through that again with my youngest.  He will be using SM through Primary at least.

Just a heads up...I received one of the Common Core CWP books and it looks pretty much just like the regular Standards/US version.

Soooo...deeeeeeep breath.  I think it will all be ok.  :-)

Good to know. Thank you! So, are there any differences at all? Or is it just a change in the title and cover of the book?  :)

I didn't flip through a whole lot...just enough to notice that it is set up very similar.  Now...I should probably go and take a look at the actual content.  Because I accidentally ordered two many, I do have a CC edition, and a regular Standards/US edition coming.  I'll take a good look when it comes in.  

I didn't flip through a whole lot...just enough to notice that it is set up very similar.  Now...I should probably go and take a look at the actual content.  Because I accidentally ordered two many, I do have a CC edition, and a regular Standards/US edition coming.  I'll take a good look when it comes in.  

Thank you.

Will be interested to see your comparison, Sweetpea.  I went ahead and ordered the CWP US editions for my older DS, but am holding off on a second set of those for younger DS.  I don't think (hopefully!) the CC CWP is a big deal, since we will mostly use as a supplement and test practice anyway, we were using standards instead of US edition already.  I think the bigger thing for me was that pulling the CWP US edition without any notice made me really, really nervous that the same could happen to the Standards line, and I really like those HIGs, and want to use them thru elementary with both boys.  Of course, older DS is begging for only Beast, but we'll outpace the production schedule to make it our main thing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks...

After comparing CWP Common Core grade 4 and the previous "Standards/US" edition....

They are almost exactly the same.  The problems seem to be pretty much the same, with the exception of slight differences in wording, name choices, etc.  

The CWP actually seems to have a few additional "Extension" questions, which I like.  

The former edition has a chapter titled "Fractions of a set" but the CC edition seems to have that rolled into it's chapter on operations with fractions.  

The books are approximately the same length.  

• Like 1