Menu

Well It Finally Happened...

EndOfOrdinary

Tonight Ds was asked to speak to the city council (invited by the new mayor and one council member) to speak to them about passing a carbon tax.  It is only like two minutes in front of about 25 people including the audience.  No big deal for him at this point.  Even better for Ds, he just got back from lobbying at the state capitol and sitting through multiple workshops all about Cap and Trade legislation versus carbon tax and how it affects revenue.  So the kid knows his crap.  He knows as much as well educated adult citizens.  A reporter is there, takes Ds' picture.  Takes the picture of the high school girl whom Ds is working with for their Climate Activism Club.  He asks for Ds' age, asks for both Ds' speech and the other girl's.  Totally normal at this point. 

On the way out, the reporter says goodbye to the high school girl then stops us and begins to interrogate Ds.  Interrogate is the only way I can think of to describe it.  He ask Ds who write his speeches.  When Ds responds that he writes his own, the reporter tells him he does not believe it, that it doesn't sound like a ten year old and begins to ask Ds to define words he used.  When Ds can define them, the reporter continues to press saying it sounds like a 16 or 17 year old not a ten year old.   Ds has no idea how to respond.  I mention perhaps Ds should explain how he writes them.  Ds goes through the process of reading up about whatever he is speaking on, outlining his ideas, giving those ideas to me so I can type them, then elaborating through dictation three or four sentences on each topic, organizing, adding in a quote or transition, and then concluding.  He explains he has been doing it for years now, so it is not a big deal.  I mention that reporter can google Ds' name and see many other things he has written and speeches he has done, that Ds just got back from lobbying and learning about such issues in Olympia, that this has become very normal for our family due to having been active for three years now.  Reporter is still not satisfied, just shakes his head, sighs, and lets us leave.  I do not know what this guy was expecting other than to somehow try to catch us in a non-existent lie. 

My son has worked for the last two years to look like a normal 10 year old kid so that he can have friends.  Now he is being persecuted for looking like a ten year old, but actually being himself.  It is so very frustrating.  We are working together on how to deliver confident, assertive responses to further inquisitions.  I know they are probably going to be coming as he continues to move forward.  This is just the first one.  Normally people are so very positive and affirming.

Wow! Way to go, kid (and Mom, for giving him the opportunities to make this happen)! He'll always face people who don't believe him, but learning how to adopt a professional, courteous demeanor in the face of opposition will always serve him well. Knowing he can do this naturally must feel good for you, too.

Sorry it was a bitter-sweet experience.

But still, so cool. That age. Being invited to speak at the city council. Very cool.

:)

How frustrating! We have a very young environmental activist in our city and many people believe he is just parroting his parents' views. Even when he talks about the reading and research he has done. It makes me angry to see adults not believe children who have passion for a topic, and then try to belittle them or catch them off guard. Especially since if they would simply spend time listening to them they could see the passion for themselves. I remember a video you posted of your son, and his interest in his topic was very evident. I hope the reporter does his research and looks up your son's other speeches.

That is frustrating, but I think you and your DS handled it really well. Unfortunately it's par for the course with a kid who doesn't fit into normal parameters for their age range. My DS was kicked out of the library big kids' section at 3 because the librarian thought he was goofing off. I had to explain that no he had asked and I gave permission for him to go find a space book and that yes he does read them. He was all confused because he got in trouble for just looking for a book :( 

I think some people just look for a simpler explanation to things that seem unlikely, such as assuming your son is really having his speeches written for him. That's their own lack of imagination speaking honestly. Btw I think it's awesome your son is using his energies to be so aware of and involved in issues that are important to him. He'll do fine long-term, you're handling it well and the shock should fade a bit as he gets older and just looks older. 

Ugh....unfortunately, it happens a lot. It's one reason why DD has been so uncomfortable recently with some of the coverage she's getting in the herp world, because inevitably, it focuses on "she's only 10 YEARS OLD", as opposed to what she's trying to send (and she's a lot less comfortable in public settings and not nearly as fluid a communicator as your son).

The good news, as I keep telling her, is that eventually her outsides will catch up to her insides. For now, for every person why thinks that she's not "real" or "serious" because of her age, there's one who is more likely to listen because she's a kid, and that's a lot more novel than an adult. She may not like it, but sometimes "cute and little" is a two-edged sword, so she might as well get good at wielding it.

And hugs to you, because it stinks when your kid is in that situation, but if you go mama-bear you're just going to add more fuel to the guy's fire. It sounds like you did a good job of supporting your son.

((Hugs)) You're a good mom with an extraordinary boy.

I hear it will get easier with age. Maybe it's time to work on diplomacy/politics of avoidance. But really, the reporter was a jerk. Who knows or cares what motivated him. I've seen first hand how media manipulates stories. We declined a request by a reporter less than two months ago to write an article about ds10. The last time someone I knew allowed an interview with that paper with the requirement that they see the article prior to publishing, the article was still completely different when it went to press. Even kids deserve the chance to write their own story, not have it invented, interpreted or twisted by others.

You did great! Keep being polite, patient and don't feed the (media) trolls. Maybe keep an eye out for high integrity journalists to work with?

Thanks all. I read your responses to Ds and he felt much better by the end of today. He has decided the current state of our culture is to treat kids like women were treated during third wave feminism. They are supposed to be "cute and cursory." It was all well and good for women to be involved as long as they were not doing anything which made people uncomfortable. When that happened, then they were often times singled out or their actions were assumed to be negative somehow and twisted.

"Sheryl Snadburg told girls to lean in, so that reported better watch out!" It was very hard not to laugh, but I am glad he is taking a positive outlook.

On the plus side, apparently our discussions of social movements are going well.

Thanks all. I read your responses to Ds and he felt much better by the end of today. He has decided the current state of our culture is to treat kids like women were treated during third wave feminism. They are supposed to be "cute and cursory." It was all well and good for women to be involved as long as they were not doing anything which made people uncomfortable. When that happened, then they were often times singled out or their actions were assumed to be negative somehow and twisted.

"Sheryl Snadburg told girls to lean in, so that reported better watch out!" It was very hard not to laugh, but I am glad he is taking a positive outlook.

On the plus side, apparently our discussions of social movements are going well.

Yeah, he's not alone in recognizing children are treated well only as long as they are convenient.

Good on him for pushing the boundaries in such a valuable way.