Menu

Pat me on the back

I am on Exercise 35 of Henle Latin I. Woohoo, we are chugging along through the third declension. It's been a loooooooong weekend, learning Latin in every spare moment, and I just wanted someone out there to know I'm progressing.

Great job! Third declension is the most challenging. Fourth and fifth declension are nothing after you figure out the third! Really!

I am so impressed! I hope to join you this year but I have to say that Henle has my intimidation button pushed!

If you get Cheryl Lowe's guide (from Memoria Press), it's really not that bad. I got my materials at the very end of July, so it's been just over a month and I go at my own pace. I think in the study guide I am on Week 10, but it hasn't taken 10 weeks to get there.

I try to have daily early morning study times, and then in the afternoons when the girls are napping. Yes, mine are still napping! :D I start off with "Recitation" -- standing up, real formally, I say the Latin prayers, sing a few Latin songs (with the headphones on, I'm not really singing, just whispering, or I'd wake up the girls), and then I do "Declension Endings" and "Model Nouns," even beyond what I've studied, so it won't be so strange when I get there.

Then I ask myself the grammar questions, and give the answers! LOL! It's a bit tricky being the teacher AND the student, but you have to figure you're teaching yourself Latin and how teach it at the same time.

Next I do some exercises in Henle, check the work, redo any mistakes ;), and reread the section. I make vocabulary cards, write grammar rules into my notebook, and check off what I've done in the study guide.

Next I work on some derivatives in The Book of Roots. This helps me to see the pervasive influence of Latin on the English language.

Finally, I drill my vocabulary cards, both sides -- Latin to English, then English to Latin.

That's the procedure. I wish I had a teacher, but at 41 I don't think they'd take me in at Highlands Latin School! :D Sigh. Actually, if I could go back two months and change my order, I would probably get Latina Christiana I and II, instead of Henle, because the format is less cumbersome and the structure of the lessons is more consistent/clear. With Henle, you have (1) the textbook, (2) the answer key, (3) the grammar, (4) the study guide, and (5) your notebook for all your work. It gets a bit crowded on the table! With LC, there are DVDs if you need them, a pronunciation CD, a consistent format, and workbooks! I know people use Henle with 5th graders, but I don't think I would do it. If you're going to study Latin as an adult, you might want to try Mrs. Lowe's new First Latin, I think it's coming out in a few months (that's the plan). Good luck!

Great job! Third declension is the most challenging. Fourth and fifth declension are nothing after you figure out the third! Really!

Thanks for the encouragement, latinteach. As it turns out, I was up until 11:47 last night, declining homo, hominis; imperator, imperatoris; lex, legis; etc., etc., until my husband finally woke up from his "nap" on the sofa and came into the bedroom. At that point, the Latin flashcards got put away, but they're out again this morning. Third declension, third declension, third declension.

Exercise 41. It just dawned on me the other day, this book has 467 exercises in it, and it's only Book 1 out of 4. Climb, climb, climb, up Mount Parnassus, and all that. Oddly enough, I am enjoying it. Go figure. :001_huh:

Good for you! Keep going!

I feel like we're over the hump, but the I don't think we've hit the 'fog' yet. I can't remember what the fog weeks were supposed to be - hopefully we'll get through them.

Last year, we had to take a break from Henle and do some fun Cambridge for awhile. We did Cambridge book 1 very quickly, then got back to Henle. We're finishing up the MODG syllabus for Henle I, then going on into Henle II.

I think we'll make it. TOG Rhetoric Lit for Year 2 has now taken center stage as our hardest subject, the one that causes our brains to bleed. We don't wince at Henle anymore.

I guess that's how to do hard things - get something harder, and it won't seem as bad by comparison. :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement, latinteach. As it turns out, I was up until 11:47 last night, declining homo, hominis; imperator, imperatoris; lex, legis; etc., etc., until my husband finally woke up from his "nap" on the sofa and came into the bedroom. At that point, the Latin flashcards got put away, but they're out again this morning. Third declension, third declension, third declension.

Exercise 41. It just dawned on me the other day, this book has 467 exercises in it, and it's only Book 1 out of 4. Climb, climb, climb, up Mount Parnassus, and all that. Oddly enough, I am enjoying it. Go figure. :001_huh:

Remember that in a traditional Latin program (like Henle) you've pretty much covered all the morphology and syntax by the time you've completed the second book. Does that help? :001_smile:

Third declension adjectives are a bit of a challenge, but since you've managed the nouns just fine, the adjectives will be easy. Just keep at it! You can do this! (Good news! There are no fourth or fifth declension adjectives and fourth and fifth declension nouns are super easy!)