Menu

US History video series

I am interested in a video series that covers US History in an interesting way. I would like a balanced view. Not every founding father was a devout Christian but not ignoring or insulting the Christian influence either.

I was thinking a video spine would be better for my science loving, history tolerating, auditory daughter. She'll be in tenth grade but younger siblings will probably end up watching too.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

The Teaching Company (Great Courses) has The History of the United States with 84 lectures and it tends to be relatively balanced. I don't believe it ignores or insults the Christian influence, but it also doesn't make it a primary focus, if that makes sense.

If you are looking for history with a distinctly Christian focus, then there may be better options.

• Like 3

We've loved American Experience. I think of it more as a supplement, but there are actually hundreds of videos. I'm putting together a chronological list if you're interested. Crash course US History could be more spiny, but there's only 40 or so and they're all around 15 minutes. Neither is religious, but both are really interesting.

• Like 7

We've loved American Experience. I think of it more as a supplement, but there are actually hundreds of videos. I'm putting together a chronological list if you're interested. Crash course US History could be more spiny, but there's only 40 or so and they're all around 15 minutes. Neither is religious, but both are really interesting.

I'm interested!

I'm interested!

They are somewhat organized on the pbs website (1800-1900, 1900-1910 etc...), but I got frustrated trying to figure out which came first and where I can find each one (amazon, youtube, netflix, pbs) So I'm making a spreadsheet. Another week or two and it should be done. I'll post here when finished.
  • Like 10

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I had never even heard of the American Experience.  Apparently, I have been living under a rock.

The other two look good as well.  I wasn't looking for a distinctly Christian bent, just a one respectful to Christianity.  So these definitely will be on my library wish list soon.  I'll preview them and choose which I think we would enjoy most.  There are sooo many US history options out there I really appreciate a few really good ones to choose from.

Momling, that spreadsheet would be wonderful.  Thank you for offering to share and for putting the effort into organizing the information.

Katie, thank you for your spreadsheet too.  I will look at those mentioned in there too.

I think all these will make a very enjoyable history spine!

They are somewhat organized on the pbs website (1800-1900, 1900-1910 etc...), but I got frustrated trying to figure out which came first and where I can find each one (amazon, youtube, netflix, pbs) So I'm making a spreadsheet. Another week or two and it should be done. I'll post here when finished.

Thank you!  Can't wait to see it!

This is the list we used. We used it with the Catholic Textbook Project American history book. If not using a text, I'd have addes some more videos. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1au4yJDrMg5rCq022XAK0-q1RcQjfv-PrIH8oJTmLMuw/edit#gid=0

Thank you! This is great!

We've been watching as many of the DVD recommendations in the free FundaFunda US History schedule as we can squeeze in. (DD/9th is reading all the assigned books too.)

Thank you for this linking this!

I'm looking forward to seeing your list too. Thank you!

Momling, I'd be interested in that list also. Thanks for sharing.

I looked for a chronological list. You don't happen to have one, do you?

I just looked over our plans from last year, and boy howdy, we watched a lot of videos! Some were from American Experience; some were not. I just have to check the type and then will post my list in this thread :)

• Like 1

These are the videos we watched during a study of American History last year (in combination with the K12 text, The American Odyssey. All came from our library system, though some may be available on Netflix or Amazon Prime. We deliberately skipped many biographies and graphic war documentaries, by dd's request. The later 20th century selections are light because we had watched many documentaries during modern history the prior year.

In somewhat chronological order:

The West (first 3 parts of episode 1), Ken Burns

The New World: Nightmare in Jamestown (50 min), National Geographic

Desperate Crossing: The Untold Story of the Mayflower (137 min), A&E

The West (finished episode 1)

Salem Witch Trials (50 min), History Channel

Liberty! (360 min), PBS

George Washington: The Man Who Wouldn't Be King (60 min), Ameican Experience

Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery (240 min), Ken Burns

Dolley Madison (90 min), American Experience

Mill Times (60 min), David Macaulay, PBS a

We Shall Remain: American Through Native Eyes (disc 2; 75 min), American Experience

Roots of Resistance: A Story of the Undeground Railroad (56 min), American Experience

The Abolitionists (180 min), American Experience

The West (episode 2), Ken Burns

The Gold Rush (120 min), American Experience

The Civil War (700 min), Ken Burns

Transcontinental Railroad (120 min), American Experience

Triangle Fire (60 min), American Experience

The Orphan Trains (60 min), American Experience

The Brooklyn Bridge (58 min), Ken Burns

One Woman, One Vote (106 min), American Experience

Panama Canal (90 min), American Experience

The Great War 1918 (56 min), American Experience

Influenza 1918 (60 min), American Experience