Menu

Envelopes without tears?

cintinative

Looking for some input on how to help my boys get through addressing envelopes without the frustration. This comes up a few times a year with FLL and handwriting. 

Usually what happens is, despite my even drawing pencil lines to indicate where to write, they write too big, sometimes run out of space, and sometimes have to erase and then start over. For obvious reasons, this causes frustration.  

I don't remember how I learned to "write smaller" for things like envelopes--is this something that will just resolve with time? Do we need to practice "writing smaller" more often??  We usually use 3rd grade writing paper for our composition, and just use the book for FLL3 writing, handwriting, etc. So the size issue seems to only present with envelopes, post cards, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Writing smaller will come with time.  I would not worry about envelopes.  In the "real" world if a person writes too sloppily they can print out labels for their envelopes.  KWIM?  So if they aren't quite there...they aren't quite there.

Or you can just do a mock envelope so they can practice writing what needs to be written without worrying about size. 

Well, it's not nearly as personal, but how about letting them type the address? That way you can control the size of the font, they can practice typing, and then, when they're older, they can write the addresses by hand. 

If typing is not something you have time for now, write the addresses for them and let them write something personal on the back of the envelope. I assume these are personal letters, right? I'm sure what they've written inside is personal enough. If they write on the back too, well, that's even more.

I used to ride my kids about their handwriting until my mother died and I had to go through her things. I found all these letters I'd written home when I was at college. What atrocious handwriting I had! In college! I eased up after that. My kids are still improving. Heck, I'm still improving.

Don't sweat the small stuff, I say. This will come. Promise.

Looking for some input on how to help my boys get through addressing envelopes without the frustration. This comes up a few times a year with FLL and handwriting. 

Usually what happens is, despite my even drawing pencil lines to indicate where to write, they write too big, sometimes run out of space, sometimes have to erase and then start over. For obvious reasons, this causes frustration.  

I don't remember how I learned to "write smaller" for things like envelopes--is this something that will just resolve with time? Do we need to practice "writing smaller" more often??  We usually use 3rd grade writing paper for our composition, and just use the book for FLL3 writing, handwriting, etc. So the size issue seems to only present with envelopes, post cards, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I think they'll naturally manage as they get older.  :)

For Christmas thank you notes this year, my DS chose to write them on some "antique" paper we had.  Then he didn't want to fold them after he spent so much time on them.  So we put them 9X12 envelopes.  The upside to this is he had plenty of room to write when addressing them.  It wasn't intentional, but it worked.  The only downside, if you could even call it that, was that each one took two stamps instead of one to mail (which was a lesson in and of itself on stamp usage/value). 

HTH!

To be honest?  I'd just skip that lesson entirely.

I skip lessons freely, especially in FLL.  I consider it a *grammar* curriculum, so if it's doing something other than grammar, I don't feel honour-bound to follow it.

Yes, writing smaller comes with time.  I guess if you really want to practice envelope-addressing, get envelopes that fit 8 1/2 x 11 pages so that he can mail some artwork to Grandma, that's a good use of space.

Or just skip it.