Menu

Is this usual?

Myra

Just got an email from my son's college requiring a $400 advanced deposit before March 15 so he can register online at the regular time in April and show his intentions on returning for his sophomore year in the Fall 2015 term. 

This seems odd to me.....I mean he is finishing up his second term as a Freshman right now. 

I mean, I can see this last year to pay for Freshman orientation and committing to attending the college in the first place.  But to have to do this every year without any advance notification of this seems wrong!  That gives us a month to come up with an extra $400 that we hadn't planned on especially since this wasn't the case at my eldest son's college. 

Hmmm.... so is this usual?

Myra

I

No, it's not considered advance registration - just the regular online registration time for all returning students.  It is refundable if you decide not to return and notify the college by June 15th. 

It's irritating because no where can I find on their website about this upfront fee.  I realize that it will be subtracted from the fall tuition costs.....but that's not the point!  It seems unfair and just plain wrong that a college can say....oh, yes, we'd like more money now or else!  We're on a strict budget with two in college. URGGG!!!!

Myra

So I guess it's not that unusual.  At first, I thought it might be a scam.  I was surprised and did call the college's financial office - it is a real thing.  Guess we'll be paying that next week!

Myra

Thanks for clarifying.  It falls under the "Learn Something New Everyday" category for me.  All three of mine go to private schools, but this is still a new one.