Menu

women's running shorts

HollyDay

I need to replace some worn out running shorts.  I need some shorts that look presentable on a 50+ year old woman.  I'm not buff.  I've had 2 c-sections.  Gravity is well proven in my life.  So, I don't want running shorts that are super short.  But, I don't want to wear "basketball" shorts either.  And no, I don't want to wear layers.  It will be 100+ here in a few short months.  Actually, it was 80 yesterday and I got sunburned. 

What are some good options?

My favorite pair for a long time was a pair of men's shorts that I accidentally stole from my husband.  Then I found REI running shorts that they don't make any more.  When these wear out (I bought all I could find on their clearance racks), I expect to go back to men's shorts.

You can look on the RunningWarehouse site.  You can shop by inseam.  I love Oiselle's Long Roga short (they are not very long), but the most comfortable again and again are Nike Tempo (also not long).  But there are lots of longer options, and Brooks 2 in 1 6" are nice.  

I no longer care what I wear when I run. I just want to be comfortable.  As long as the shorts don't chafe, they are fine.  I don't buy "bun huggers", but anything that's at least has 3" inseam I'll consider, especially if it's a good sale price. 

You all have much more sophisticated answers than me :) I have found lots of Danskin running shorts at Walmart to be long enough, not skimpy, not too long, not too tight--they might look dorkier on the 20-something young runners, but on my 40-something, 3 c-sectioned body, I think they are flattering :) and inexpensive enough that I don't mind if I have to replace them every year.

I like the running skirts too--

B

I have several pairs of the Danskin stretchy cotton (jersey, not spandex feeling) shorts from Walmart and I love them. They are about mid-thigh, but breathe well when you're hot. I run and do yoga in them and they never bind. They are cheap too (like 2 pairs for $14), which I like. I figure since I sweat in them and they get worn and washed a lot, so I can have more pairs without spending a fortune on them.