Menu

Are you using coursera for self-educating?

Please tell me about how this is working for you!

Do you take quizzes and submit assignments, or just watch the lectures? If the former, have you found the work to be beneficial to your understanding?

Are there penalties for enrolling and then not completing a course?

I have in the past. Most of the time I have watched the videos only. Occasionally I have participated in the forums and done some of the readings. I couldn't manage more, though I'm sure it would have benefitted me.

There are no penalties for enrolling and not completing the course if you are not taking it for credit.

I've done a bit of both. Usually I am watching the videos to see if they will be useful for DS, but occasionally I get sucked in and end up completing the whole course including assignments. I have dropped out of a few after just watching the first week's lectures but most I end up watching them all. I am currently working through Intro to Finance, History of the Slave South and The Magna Carta and its Legacy.

I usually don't take the quizzes, but do listen to the lectures, and take part in the discussion boards.  I love it.  I've learned so much, and it keeps me off FB ;)  My son is doing some for part of his science class this year, and he is doing everything, and is working towards certificates.  Either way, we've both been very happy. Right now I'm doing one about Terrorism and one about Chronic pain.

Oh great! Thank you all for the feedback.

I was worried that I might be committing to too much, but knowing that I can choose to complete the work when able, and leave it when not - that takes a lot of pressure off. :)

I'm interested mostly in the maths and physics lectures. I figure I'll be taking lots of notes, which is probably enough for now.

I'm enrolled and excited! I've picked a shorter course, which will be somewhat revision, and I reckon I'll not have much trouble with the tests. I think I have found the videos online already, so I'm familiarising myself with the content now.

I haven't done anything close to formal study in such a long time. This feels good. :)