Menu

My DS made it to State Competion in MathCounts!!!

I'm so excited!! This is our 2nd year doing Mathcounts for him (he's in 7th). We think of it as a learning experience, see what competition is like in a non-athletic way (he's an All-Star baseball player) and don't have any expectations. In fact, this year I didn't even get my registration in until reallllly late (life got busy) and we only practiced for the last 2 weeks, literally. Other Mathcounts Mathletes begin practicing in Sept.

So there we are, ONLY homeschoolers in the whole assembly of 130 students. And when we get to the final countdown round where they pit 2 contestants side by side, live - they announce the top 12 from the individual tests.... When I heard our school's name (that I so proudly named back when we filed our first Private School Affidavit) and my son's name - I about died. I was absolutely gobsmacked, as we he.

And now he's going to State competition in March!!!! How completely and utterly flabbergasting and exciting. My DS, a team of 1, and we're headed to State.

I just couldn't help but sharing. These boards are where I first learned of MathCounts, and these boards are what have helped us choose our Math middle school curriculum (as well as everything else). So exciting to get the kudos, as a teacher as well, that what we're doing is really working! :)

Congratulations! How fun & exciting!!

I'm happily remembering our first state tournament under similar circumstances. Ds and I only found out that he was eligible to participate in MC at the last minute during 7th grade, so I rushed to submit the paperwork. He didn't have time to prep much for Chapters, either. They announced at the Chapter competition that he was the first homeschooler that they'd ever had in Richmond. And he was also surprised & excited to make it to States as an individual that year. I totally understand what you're feeling!

Best of luck at States!!

Congrats! The first time my ds went to state, they didn't even announce the 12 individual finalists at the chapter competition. My ds wasn't in the countdown, so afterward we just went home and thought that was that. A few weeks later I got an email from a friend of mine who was on a MATHCOUNTS mailing list and she said, "Um, did you know that XXX made it to state?" We had no idea!

At our state competition they group up the individuals who aren't on a team to do the team round just for fun. Good luck to your son and congratulations again!!

Thanks so much!!! :D Kathy, I love how your experience seemed to mirror ours. And Cosmos, your son too! How fun! We're still a bit shell-shocked and thrilled. He's always had an affinity for Math, but he's certainly not the stereotypical mathy type.... but he's psyched for March!! Time for me to get serious about practice - I have 6 weeks to help him be as prepared as he can be. :-)