Menu

Favorite Latin Program?

Ktede

Latin Book One and Latin Book Two. You can access the files for the text and the answers free on the respective Yahoo groups. You can also purchase hard copies of the books inexpensively on Amazon (I think I paid around $8 apiece for mine). These books are great because they have a reasonable amount of vocabulary for each lesson, clearly explained grammar concepts, and lots and lots of reading and translation practice. Many lessons also work on derivations. There are also periodic essays on aspects of Roman life and culture (in English) and simplified myths (in Latin). My dd especially loves those.

I highly recommend these books!

I've used Lively Latin 1 and 2 (often called BBOLL1 and BBOLL2 on the forum).  I taught myself and 2 kids (starting at grades 4 and 6) and then moved them into Wheelock's when they completed the curriculum.

Now I'm am starting over BBOLL1 with my 2nd, 4th and 5th grader (and 1st grader does all the chants and vocab with us).

I have appreciated BBOLL because it has history  and Roman culture lessons, picture study (so the kids can see how artists through the ages have used Roman stories for inspiration), and good audio pronunciation files that can be downloaded along with the curriculum. BBOLL1 also has video lessons.  

Because of my big family, BBOLL was a wise financial investment.  All I have to do is print out more lessons.  We don't have to keep buying workbooks.  (We have a laser printer that makes it affordable to print all those pages).

Classical Academic Press - We have one child using Latin for Children Primer A (4th grade) and the other using Latin 1 (7th grade). This is the first year for both of them taking Latin. Younger loves Latin. Older has grown to like Latin but his is far more challenging, especially for never haven taken it before. They're teaching me - I enrolled them in the live program at Veritas Press and their teachers are terrific.

Latin for Children is what my kids used in Elementary school, my oldest then went on to Wheelocks with VP but was challenging and he did fine with it but I think it depends on the child.  My middle one went into Latin Alive after Latin for Children more his speed, yet challenging for him.  Wheelocks would have been extremely hard for him.  I really liked LAC I had no previous Latin and was able to follow along and help out.  Have heard good things about MP just never used it.  HTH

Memoria Press Latin. We're wrapping up Prima Latina with my two in the next month. I think Latina Christiana or First Form Latin would probably be a good fit for a fourth grader who does not have a younger sibling tagging along. They have samples on their website.

I agree.  MP specializes in Latin and their programs are super thorough with tons of review.  We have done Prima Latina and Latina Christiana and are 6 weeks into First Form.  Very impressed!

I've used Lively Latin 1 and 2 (often called BBOLL1 and BBOLL2 on the forum). I taught myself and 2 kids (starting at grades 4 and 6) and then moved them into Wheelock's when they completed the curriculum.

Now I'm am starting over BBOLL1 with my 2nd, 4th and 5th grader (and 1st grader does all the chants and vocab with us).

I have appreciated BBOLL because it has history and Roman culture lessons, picture study (so the kids can see how artists through the ages have used Roman stories for inspiration), and good audio pronunciation files that can be downloaded along with the curriculum. BBOLL1 also has video lessons.

Because of my big family, BBOLL was a wise financial investment. All I have to do is print out more lessons. We don't have to keep buying workbooks. (We have a laser printer that makes it affordable to print all those pages).

BBLL2 has videos, too. We like them better than BBLL1's

I read somewhere on the forums that when thinking about latin you should look at which high school level courses you want to use, and then work backwards using the same companies materials.  since i knew we wanted to use Memoria Press for HS latin we choose  first form for next year.  ( DS will also be 4th grade, and is finishing up GSWL)