Menu

Keeping up with writing with a broken arm

Tiramisu

We've had a lot of family health issues since the middle of December but one way or another we've basically stayed on track by making minor adjustments. I don't mind adjusting but I've always made writing and math a priority no matter what's going on. But now dd8 has a broken arm. It's not her writing arm but it makes writing difficult nonetheless. I also, at normal times, don't have her write a ton because of a history of writing issues that are probably visually based. Now she is writing for math, daily language review, writing one sentence, and doing one line of cursive a day. Everything else is done aloud. She's not doing WWE as written. I'm skipping the dictation entirely and I'm writing all narrations for her. Basically no writing for WWE at all. Her cast may come off as early as next week or it could be on another three weeks. I need some reassurance that things will be okay.

And when we start again, should I have her go back and do the dictations, which could cause a rebellion if she has to do one everyday. Or should I just move forward?

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Just move forward.   And yes, absolutely it will all be o.k.   It isn't like she is taking a two year hiatus.  And she isn't in her senior year of high school.  She isn't even in middle school.  We are talking a few days to a few weeks.  It will be fine.  Please believe that.  You are doing a good job, mom.

This happened to me when I was in 3d grade except it was my writing hand! I quickly became ambidextrous for a while! Don't worry! It will be fine! I broke my non writing arm the following year and yep still fine! Kids are resilient and highly adaptable! :) Best of luck!

My ds broke her non-writing arm at age 9 and she still did all her schoolwork. I don't understand why it is that hard for your dd to write. Personally I have found that when we let things go we all suffer more later when they lose so much ground. Especially for my dd who seems to have a touch of dyslexia, keeping up with practice is the best thing for her.

but it depends on what you want now and what you want later. Your choices are probbaly some whining and discomfort as she balances the heavy cast on the table. Or, catching her up when she gets her cast off in a month. :)

My ds broke her non-writing arm at age 9 and she still did all her schoolwork. I don't understand why it is that hard for your dd to write. Personally I have found that when we let things go we all suffer more later when they lose so much ground. Especially for my dd who seems to have a touch of dyslexia, keeping up with practice is the best thing for her.

but it depends on what you want now and what you want later. Your choices are probbaly some whining and discomfort as she balances the heavy cast on the table. Or, catching her up when she gets her cast off in a month. :)

A big part of the problem with this one, in addition to the visual issues, is SPD and low frustration tolerance. When things feel weird normal processes can shut down. I could see that with many kids it probably wouldn't be an issue or could even be kind of fun to find new positions to write. 

And, pathetic as it sounds, I would have a hard time dealing with whining and moans from discomfort now. There are very serious issues with medical stuff that I'm in the middle of with other children and I need to manage my own stress level.

And maybe it will come off next week. Most kids with broken non writing arms at PS though would write and many with broken writing arms.

I hope so. And I completely agree. None of my kids were prolific writers at home even without casts, but seemed to produce very well in school environment.

A big part of the problem with this one, in addition to the visual issues, is SPD and low frustration tolerance. When things feel weird normal processes can shut down. I could see that with many kids it probably wouldn't be an issue or could even be kind of fun to find new positions to write. 

And, pathetic as it sounds, I would have a hard time dealing with whining and moans from discomfort now. There are very serious issues with medical stuff that I'm in the middle of with other children and I need to manage my own stress level.

:grouphug:  :grouphug: :grouphug:  

I have one who has broken his writing arm, his non-writing hand, and then his writing hand.  The writing hand was this summer, a few days before our summer session was to start.  I had planned a writing intensive.  :glare: 

It will be fine.  Saving your sanity is important. 

I totally understand! There are seasons of life where you really just can't handle something. My dd is not my SPD kid. She also had a bird who liked to perch on her cast while she did school. That was so wonderful for her that she would stay still for a really long time so he wouldn't fly away!

There are seasons. It sounds like for you, a little catch up is better than a lot of whining and sensory issues. :)

We've had a lot of family health issues since the middle of December but one way or another we've basically stayed on track by making minor adjustments. I don't mind adjusting but I've always made writing and math a priority no matter what's going on. But now dd8 has a broken arm. It's not her writing arm but it makes writing difficult nonetheless. I also, at normal times, don't have her write a ton because of a history of writing issues that are probably visually based. Now she is writing for math, daily language review, writing one sentence, and doing one line of cursive a day. Everything else is done aloud. She's not doing WWE as written. I'm skipping the dictation entirely and I'm writing all narrations for her. Basically no writing for WWE at all. Her cast may come off as early as next week or it could be on another three weeks. I need some reassurance that things will be okay.

And when we start again, should I have her go back and do the dictations, which could cause a rebellion if she has to do one everyday. Or should I just move forward?

Yes, it will be o.k...& then just move forward...why go back?

I got my first broken bone 11 days ago.  I don't have a cast on my arm (it's a fracture higher up, near my shoulder).  I don't know if you've ever personally have ever had a broken arm...but just needing to keep in a certain position & not moving it about drives me up the wall once or twice a day. :banghead:   It's not fun.  Given that it's usually 4 - 6 weeks (in my case I'll need some physical therapy afterwards)...I'd say give her a break (HA!  No pun intended!).

This is a time for perspective. She is eight. She has a broken arm.

If she writes, if she doesn't write, if she does no school at all while healing, she will be fine. This will be a tiny, inconsequential blip on her learning career.

Think back to when you were eight years old. Which month of assignments changed your life? Think big picture and let go of the stress. She will be fine. You will be fine.